PDA

View Full Version : VS Strike versus BAA Strike?

Terminal 6
17th Dec 2007, 03:05
Everyone is talking about the possible Virgin Atlantic strike in the PPRuNe, CabinCrew and V-Flyer forums. However, is nobody worried about the possibility of the BAA strike, with Heathrow and Gatwick etc. facing complete closure?

Does anyone have any news on the BAA strike? And which way the ballot is swaying?

Which strike is most likely to happen? Who do you support? Who's right? What's your view?

It's the battle of the ballots: VS versus BAA...

Woofrey
17th Dec 2007, 08:29
Rumour is strong feeling for strike action in both camps.
Ballot results due on 20th Dec I believe, so action could take place 7 days later, but don't think that'll gain any sympathy or support from Joe Public ( will any strike action !? ), so possibly into January before anything happens.

HZ123
17th Dec 2007, 15:51
I doubt that the striking staff care either as BAA do not seem bothered about anything in particular. Now if the airside shops became unionised then they might care. Happy Xmas.

intortola
17th Dec 2007, 20:09
Coming to UK for Christmas, arrive LGW with BA on the 22nd and depart from LGW on 2nd January, are there any contingency plans ? If they strike are they planning on shutting all BAA airports or selective airports? As a Brit living abroad makes me glad i left!

HZ123
18th Dec 2007, 09:54
It is hardly living on/in Tortola, there can be little if anything to do which is why your coming here. happy Xmas and I doubt that LGW will be effected as it is on the Darkside.

intortola
18th Dec 2007, 10:08
Thanks HZ123, actually quality of life here is very high and certainly is lots to do even though island is very small. Have spent last 11 Christmases here and they have all been great, so not coming to UK just to get away from here ! Anyway, have a great Christmas yourself, usually fly into LHR when i come to UK so hope all goes well on the "Darkside".

Woofrey
18th Dec 2007, 11:43
I doubt that LGW will be effected as it is on the Darkside

The BAA strike ballot is for all BAA airports, Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Glasgow.

It's about pensions - the company want to end / ( have ended ? ) the final salary scheme for new employees.

It's company wide, not just Security, including the Fire Service. Any downgrade of either of these resources is likely to spell an airport closure.