PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here: Where one could train for FAA and JAA commercial license on heavy jets?

Maclock
16th Dec 2007, 19:52
Please excuse my complete ignorance, but is there anyway one could train from scratch to receive both FAA and JAA commercial pilot licenses using mostly heavy jets? I ask only because I hold Canadian and Irish citizenship and there are well-paid opportunities on heavy equipment in Ireland as well as in Canada, and as I am considerably older than the typical student pilot candidate, I have considerably less time to mess around paying my dues as a flight instructor or flying in the Far North to build my hours. The best jobs seem to require type rating (ideally) for popular heavy equipment and significant hours on the desired type. Some of the European carriers, however, don't seem to require many hours in total. (See http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obel01im1/Corporate/display_news.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0580429634.1197837393@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccladdmklflmmdcefecfigdffgdfkg.0&P_OID=-8057&Category=0&NEWS_OID=536886133 for an example. Perhaps I am missing something here, though.)
Is this a crazy idea outside of some of the in-house programs that some European airlines offer to train their pilots? As a unilingual English speaking Irish citizen (but someone who has the unrestricted right to work in almost every European country) who has three good university degrees completely unrelated to aviation, would I be a candidate for any of the programs run by these European carriers? As an aside, it doesn't look like Aer Lingus runs any such programs anymore. Perhaps I'm wrong about that, though....
Additionally, one of the reasons that I am interested in securing FAA and JAA licenses at the same time is I would like to have qualifications to make me eligible to fly in both United States and Europe, both huge aviation markets. Will an FAA-issued license be recognized in Canada without too much messing around? Perhaps there's a place in Canada where I can earn CAA, FAA and JAA licenses at the same time. Dunno about heavy jets while doing that in Canada, though. Dunno about heavy jets anywhere for that matter....
Sorry for my naivete; I know nothing about this stuff. :confused: