PDA

View Full Version : Executive Aircraft - Set for a return?

Ops Bangle
27th Sep 2001, 21:34
It's some time since I worked with exec aircraft but after the events in the US on 11/09 I am wondering if executive aircraft are set to make a real comeback?

In the UK there has been an ambivalent attitude to executive aircraft: they are seen as a "toy" for the chairman to take his latest floozie on holiday and are chopped by the bean-counters as soon as he moves on. Yet when used properly they can not only provide a safe and secure means of transport but can also make business people more poductive. I remember a contract with a major paper supplier with a C421 that had a plant in scotland. They were able to take customers to the local airport and achieve in a single day what would take 2 or 3 days by scheduled airlines.

I have noted the growth in fractional ownership in the USA. How are executive operators finding things in Uk and Europe? How does the Campaign Against Aviation view fractional ownership type operations? Is the business trend up?

I post this with the hope that perhaps somebody has got some good news in these troubled times.

Unwell_Raptor
27th Sep 2001, 21:54
There are lots of rationalisations for corporate aircraft, but the main driver is 'does the boss really want one?'.

Yes, it makes all the sense in the world for Ford or GM or Airbus to run milkruns around their European plants, but never forget the old, and reliable, rules of investing:

IF: your company has a Queen's Award to Industry flag on the front lawn.

IF: Your CEO is on a Government Committee.

IF: Your CEO has received an award such as 'businessman of the year'

IF: Your Company uses corporate aircraft.

For God's sake........SELL the shares!

411A
28th Sep 2001, 02:15
Take a look at new orders in the past two weeks....business is booming.

gwallerich
28th Sep 2001, 03:46
I fly a corporate B727 for both the corporate owner and on charters. Charter business is booming. Up by 105% by some accounts.

I spent last week mostly flying Saudis out of the U.S. - they were very pro-Western, but were fleeing the current "anti-Arab" climate over here. 45 block hours and 4 Atlantic crossings in 7 days (all legal).

I turned down a request to fly the bin Laden family from the U.S. to Europe, mostly because my crew was uncomfortable with it. I understand that Ryan Air (U.S.) flew them out recently, although they had trouble finding volunteer crews to work the trip.

CHUUK
28th Sep 2001, 04:37
I work for a major fractional in the US, and have heard rumours from the sales department that some present owners are increasing shares, and they've also seen an increase of interest in fractional as well. Rumours!

B747wideboy
28th Sep 2001, 04:50
Itīs already been a boom time for the Exec Jet makers due to the fractional ownership boom. Things might get significantly better now....

Donīt the Bin Ladens have an aircraft of their own? I know they used to have BAC1-11 but it now belongs to Mr. Kabo of Kabo Air notoriety.