PDA

View Full Version : Casa 212 performance

capnflyright
16th Dec 2007, 18:01
I'd like to get the "real world" info on the performance of the Casa 212 (any and all models). We're comparing aircraft for purchase including the Skyvan, Twin Otter and Let 410. Thank you.

olirindis
16th Dec 2007, 18:12
My Boet, I flew this equipment with the military in Africa with a tremendous amount of success......when both motors were running that is. I never had the misfortune of batting on one but the figures suggest that you might want to have options particularly when operating out of high Dens. Alt places.

Have fun.......

capnflyright
16th Dec 2007, 18:50
Hey Orlindris,

Thank you for your post. Do you happen to remember takeoff and landing distances? How about range with certain payloads? I understand that the garretts suffer from hot conditions, did you experience this? Which model did you fly? Thank you again.

reptile
18th Dec 2007, 04:56
I flew the -200 and 300 in the SAAF. Good shortfield performance (MTOW take off in Bilene, Moz not a problem), and can operate on poorly prepared runways - care need to be taken on runways with thick sand though. Large cabin and the ramp makes loading easy. The aircraft is handfull at crosswinds in excess of 15kts (high wing and narrow wheel track). Single engine performance is non-existent.

Very reliable aircraft and will run for days with minimal support. Very well balanced controls and handles beatifully.

If you need specific performance data, pm me.

Yakka
18th Dec 2007, 05:40
I've flown -200 and -400 Civil Types, and as far as Feild legnth/payload goes it is pretty good. The -200 would go in to 570m at 4000' at 7700kg no problems but could only carry about 500kg out (BEW around 4800). The military operate them to 8100 MTOW and with both engines running this weight isn't a problem. Even at 35c. (you get about 80% Torque, 650 EGT)

The -400s are pretty new and have 25hp more per side but are a couple of hundred kgs heavier and seem to perform about the same. in ISA -15 temps they have been known to operate at 8470kg. More in Ferry situations.

if you have any more Q's, i'll be happy to try and answer

Ya

LittleMo
18th Dec 2007, 08:25
Wha you want if you can get one is a Dornier 228. We used to take 1200kg out of 450m in the DRC with no hassles. Was a bit short but the aerie can do it. Routinely operated out of 600m strips wih 2000kg payload. Cruise @ 200kts at about 550 lbs/ hour of JetA1 total. Comes with the Garret TPE331 - 5 motors so engine maintenance cost should be the same as the CASA.

Agaricus bisporus
18th Dec 2007, 15:42
Having experienced the Garrets on a Do228 I'd say they are the last thing I'd want in the bush. Come to think of it the Dornier itself wasn't too reliable either, tho most of that was aircon, anti ice system and instrumentation. Hardly a rough strip plane though. Why not a Caravan - one PT6 has to be as reliable as eighteen Garrets...

Flying Aggie
18th Dec 2007, 19:39
Hi There

I have been flying the Casa for the past 1 1/2 years, it is a fun airplane to fly. This airplane flies anywhere be true with you. I have flown at max temp. of 45 degrees, with 4 pax at about 3000ft. We takeoff and land in the sahara desert sand with max 19 pax 25 degrees 2820ft with max load. We have two aircrafts on line and the took a lot of beating. Our company owned them for the past 27 years with over 27000 hour on them.

PM if you need anymore info.

It is sad that am not flying them anymore Since I moved to the Q300 now. But I would fly it any time again.

LittleMo
19th Dec 2007, 07:26
Aga: Why not a van? Cuz you can't load one like you can a CASA/D228/Twotter. One PT6 up front is exactly that..one engine. Don't get me wrong the Van is an awesome a/c and capable at that but you can't compare it to a twin. Don't know where you've flown the D228 but it's an awesome rough strip plane, the undercart is straight off an Alpha-Jet and with the box fuselage design it's floorloading is 300kg/m...
We flew ours in the DRC, Burundi, Sudan, Somalia and various other African states with great success. Hot, wet or dusty she plowed on. Not one burp or fart out of the Garrets. Also being direct drive turbine you have power when you need it going into a 450m mud strip (Mongwalu, DRC) with 1200kg in the boot. As for the ati-ice and aircon issues, it only comes with electrical prop anti-ice and aircon is an academic thing when you're flying freight...boxes don't bi*ch

200kt cruise with 7hrs in the tanks, your van will still be looking for parking...:ok:

Yakka
19th Dec 2007, 08:18
It really comes down to what you want. Boxes don't bitch, but then they don't mind going 160kts either. The Do228 is a nice machine and is great short field. but the CASA can lift more and take bigger things. The ramp is fantastic for loading large bulky items. If I was to sum up why not to get a Dornier, Twotter or Caravan. It would be that the CASA has that ramp. Oh and by the way littleMo Mongbwalu is 570m long. :E

Its all a compromise, you would just need calculate what your needs are and make the decision.
a
if it comes down to money, I think that most Do228's are pretty cheap, and good bang for your buck.

Ya

LittleMo
19th Dec 2007, 09:06
Yakka: True it is but 450m usable is more realistic or do you use the bit after the hump at the end of the rwy? If so your a bigger man than me or your flying a chopper... :}

Spose its all relative really when its raining and your sliding along in the mud...

But the point about the ramp is just that, the CASA has a ramp and thats a bladdy handy thing and the hold is bigger too.

I.R.PIRATE
19th Dec 2007, 10:06
Cant remember exactly - What are the red-line and blue line speeds on the 212? IIRC there was a serious gap, of some 30 kts or something?

Yakka
19th Dec 2007, 10:36
Red line - I take it you mean Vmca rather than Vmo is 77kts
Blue line - on the CASA is Va (maneuvering speed) and that is 146kts

What is more important is Vr and V2 which are worked out on the charts for the different A/C weights, but ballpark Vr is about 90kts and V2 is about 98kts

90 is also the approx approach speed with full flap, dont want to be any faster than that when you touch down cause the reverse wont work till your below it.

I.R.PIRATE
19th Dec 2007, 10:54
Sorry I meant Vyse, and Vmca

rich66
10th Jan 2008, 10:01
The red line speeds are 79 and 223, and the blue line speed is 109 kias. I haven't flown the CASA. As for the 228-100/200/212 the only problems I ever encountered were related to the systems i.e. batteries not going full-life, and the unreliable air con system. For example flying the aircraft into short fields, in gusty conditions - couldn't have asked for a more reassuring aircraft. Really pleased that they are going to resume production; just hope that they learnt lessons from the way they used to overcharge for spares.