PDA

View Full Version : Loss of training insurance

JetJockeyJim
16th Dec 2007, 15:13
(Sorry...if this is covered elsewhere (which it must be). I've search and searched, but can't find anything relevant).

I'm starting an integaated couse in Jan, and want to cover myself in case I can't complete the course (for whatever reason - medical mainly I guesss).

I've been sent an application form for HISCOX, but know nothing about them. It's also been suggested I join BALPA, but they only appear to provide assistance with claims for a third party insurer.

Has anyone any experience is this area?

chris-squire
16th Dec 2007, 16:43
I've just received my Insurance forms from HSBC. My policy will cover me for Critical Illness etc and Death. In the event of either of these the policy pays out just over £55k to pay off my loan. Any surplus then goes to either me or my family depending on the reason for the pay out obviously.

In addition to this I will be taking out Income Protection Incurance as soon as I land my first job to cover that aspect incase of loss of licence.

HSBC Milton Keyenes have been really good with me on this point. I think it helps that they do understand exactly what you need to be covered for.

Hope this helps.

CS :ok:

Adios
17th Dec 2007, 10:31
BALPA sells a policy to student pilots that covers loss of the Class 1 medical. You won't find a policy that covers all contingencies, such as failing or dropping out. The BALPA policy does not cover death either.

chris-squire
17th Dec 2007, 10:49
Adios - Good point. No one is going to cover you failing to pass etc.

The best you will find are the policies that cover death, critical illness and loss of licence for whatever reason (apart from disqualification after being found guilty of drink flying etc)

Chris

JetJockeyJim
18th Dec 2007, 07:34
Thanks for all that everyone. HISCOX will provide cover for accident/illness during training - about £250 for a 12 month flying training course covering you up to £60K (I'm sure premiums will vary on individual circumstances though).

http://www.hiscox.com/ViewCMSPage.aspx?pageID=9e2112c2-6ebb-4d9f-a3a0-98a6ab7fab65

chris-squire
18th Dec 2007, 07:45
Funnily enough I had Endsleigh (Insurance Brokers) phone me last night about my Life Cover etc etc after I enquired about a fe things 6 months ago....

They were really helpful and are somewhat cheaper than HSBC for a longer and better policy. HSBC quoted just over £22 p/month to cover £55k against Critical Illness or Death for 11 years.

Endsleigh have got me with Friends Provident for £22.79 p/month covering me against Critical Illness or Death for £150k over 15 years! It's a really good deal because they pay out for more things than almost any other company. Including many things that would lead to loss of licence!

Chris :)