PDA

View Full Version : Jobs Up North and West..

captaintoocool
16th Dec 2007, 10:30
Hey guys, i just completed my Command Multi-Engine Instrument Rating. Got my Degree in aviation and about 220 hours including 25ME hours flying Seminoles. I dont have any C206 or C210 hours..Would that set me back?

I'm planning to go up to Darwin, Kunnunara, Broome, Karratha, and maybe Perth around Mid Jan to Early Feb..

Do you thinks it worth it for me to visit all those places? Any other places you can recommend?

I want to fly twins ASAP so what operator do you think would be the best option for me to try???

And one more thing lol..What the pay like up there for a first year inexperienced pilot? Would i have to work part time in conjunction with the flying??:ugh:

Thanks alot:ok:

morno
16th Dec 2007, 10:58
http://gallery.elvado.de/albums/structure/USER-RELATED/misc/search%20engine%28ok%29/search-button-for-dummies.jpg

Cap'n Arrr
16th Dec 2007, 12:35
On the off chance that "captaintoocool" isn't a wind up...

In the current climate you can get away with not having C200 hours, but you still need to have decent flying ability.

If you want to get a job out that way, you need to actually be there, noone gets those jobs by mailing off a resume, so if it's what you want it's worth visiting as many places as it takes.

If you want to fly twins ASAP (don't worry too much about it now, it'll come with experience anyway), try first for the operators with a couple singles and a lot of twins. Stay away from ones with mining/government contracts as their sole twin work, as the minimum experience required is normally a lot higher than normal, and higher than what you're going to have.

Whatever your first job is expect low pay. If you can land one with a reasonable boss and some decent equipment, then you're doing ok. Whether or not you need another job normally depends on how little you can live off. If you want a new Commodore and a house and a plasma TV then yes, you will need another job.

Side note: I've never been up north, I just listen to what other pilots say.:ok:

Pomypilot
16th Dec 2007, 20:55
:EErrr, If this isn't a wind up you may have to reconsider your choices, especialy in KNX. Alligator and Slingair will want you to start on C206 and C210 to start with and that will be for a while mate. Twin time is great but does not mean a thing untill the second year.....ish and even then you will have to fight the other guys for the place, I'm afraid it's a case of who can kiss the most ass. A degree in Aviation don't mean :mad: up north matey, flying ability and common sense mean everything especialy a million miles from any decent landing strip. But chin up mate, you will have to get there now...ish to get in line. First come first served.:ok: Oh and get some time in a C210.

Dragun
17th Dec 2007, 03:09
If you want to get a job out that way, you need to actually be there, noone gets those jobs by mailing off a resume

Wrong. It's not 2001 anymore fellas. There are tonnes of jobs to be had by making phone calls and emailing resumes. I know of 2 people in the last 3 months who scored jobs in Broome and Cairns respectively that way.

The current situation may not last forever but you can definitely get something before you leave to go north these days.

I totally agree that the degree doesn't mean anything up north. You need to get hours and the quicker the better - this will get you to 'twin time'. Having said that, I have 2 degrees, one of which is aviation and it sure as hell hasn't been a disadvantage during my airline interviews. Without delving into the old and boring argument of 'degree vs. no degree', even though it may not be an advantage (especially in the early days), never omit it on your CV for the fear of idiots like Paper Planes having a swipe.

Good luck mate

Tempo
17th Dec 2007, 05:11
Hey Paper Planes,

I was a young city pilot with a degree who went bush.....I even packed my uniform too!! Funny how things work out isn't it.

Pomypilot
17th Dec 2007, 07:59
Idiot? Mmm Harsh I guess you were refering to me. I was mearley pointing out, no C210/C206 time, no job. If you have been in KNX or for that matter been up north you will understand that the majority of charter organisations use these a/c. Sure they have some twins, but it will take a fair amount of time time to reach this. Remember, pilot shortage Bull:mad:! There are heaps of guys heading up north this time of year, and like theaddage says in KNX "Shake the nearest tree and one will fall out" I wish him good luck but for many many years now have wittnessed the same thing year in year out, it's just that these places are where nearly everyone heads to on the migratory pilot map.:ok: Just pack that iron for the old uniform mate.

Pomypilot
17th Dec 2007, 08:08
P.S Still reckon it's a wind up............Captaintoocool.......really:E:confused:

Dragun
17th Dec 2007, 08:37
Idiot? Mmm Harsh I guess you were refering to me

Actually no I wasn't, that's why I said 'idiots like Paper Planes' whose post has since been deleted. Note a couple of others have referred to his post also.

I was mearley pointing out, no C210/C206 time, no job

As I mentioned, your information is a little outdated. I'm sure plenty of people will testify that in the last six months to a year they have gone north with zero 200 series time and scored jobs either when they got there, or before they left.

All you need to do is check the AFAP jobs section to see a list of jobs that would never have been advertised 5 years ago.

Example:

13 November 2007
Northern Australian Pilot
C210 charter pilot needed to fill position at remote base.
Pilot must be able to work unsupervised with good management skills.
Cessna 200 series time desirable.
·200 hrs +·Night VFR·Dangerous goods certificate·Own transport

200 series time desirable, not mandatory. You can bet that little comment would barely get looked at by employers these days.

Pomypilot
17th Dec 2007, 08:59
Sorry mate, becoming paranoid in my old age, my appologies:ok: I thought you were making reference to PP in my name, sorry.

Looks like things have changed a little, Still that job looks as if it's out in Kickatinalong station where no one wants to go, with A C206 held together with chewwing gum and lolly sticks.......not really a fair representation of the true situation up north.

Lived KNX 5 years
Darwin 1

Fair comment though.:ok:

Cheers,

PP

captaintoocool
17th Dec 2007, 11:09
Thanks guys!!!:8Got a lot from that

So, from what i gather, the best way to go is to get a job where they have a lot of twins, but expect to fly only singles in the first year?

how long is the the dry season up there?

Is it true that the operators normally let go of the first year pilots at the end of the dry season and ask them to come back in the next??

is it too early for me to go early jan??Should i wait till late jan or mid feb??

FRQ Charlie Bravo
18th Dec 2007, 00:20
Some of the operators up here are starting to think about beefing up the pilot roster before the dry season (rather than simply hoping that they'll get the usual influx of pilots). I think that it may be worth sending a CV and following up with a phone call a few days later (just ask for the CP or any pilot to whom you can direct a few questions). Chances of getting the CP (or being told when to ring back) are pretty good and if you've recently sent a CV then there will be less work explaining yourself. Make sure that you use the angle that you're an earnest CPL keen to get a feel for the operation and some general advice.