PDA

View Full Version : Next time when you check your oxy masks...

nalak_yc
16th Dec 2007, 03:38
you may take a breath as well! especially if your a/c 've been to OZ! holy smoke...:uhoh:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/fatal-gas-pumped-into-qantas-jet/2007/12/15/1197568330046.html

rick.shaw
16th Dec 2007, 03:54
On the surface of it, it seems to have been glossed over by CASA. But obviously we don't know the full story so won't jump to conclusions. However if there is a culture of rushing to get the job done due to commercial pressures (undermanning, pressure to get aircraft away asap etc) then that needs to be looked at very closely. We all know the immense pressures on people in many areas of the aviation industry these days due to cost cutting etc. If it's a case of getting some bits that worked rather than investigating why the rig didn't work in the first place(i.e. quick fix), then that is a major culture/systemic issue.

blow.n.gasket
16th Dec 2007, 09:21
What's the problem?
David Cox says it's ok, so it must be OK.
Oh look, there goes another flying pig, quick ,duck.:}

HeavyWrenchFlyer
17th Dec 2007, 02:14
I know a guy who put oxygen into a 747-400's tires, having re-rigged all the fittings which are intentionally designed to prevent the use of oxy on nitro and vice-versa. It blew four tires on takeoff, dumped fuel and made an emergency landing at LAX. All because he was too lazy to take the empty nitrogen bottle back to the hangar and get a new one, so he finds the nearest other bottle he can find and... never mind the fact that it was colored GREEN (oxygen) instead of black or orange (nitrogen). Do you thinks this guy did all this because he was under pressure to get it done?

The same guy once overserviced a 747-200 by 24 quarts of oil.

There are morons in every profession, and this is no exception.

Frogman1484
17th Dec 2007, 03:50
I wonder what would happen if it was hellium...then we would all sound like chipmunks...lol

FlexibleResponse
17th Dec 2007, 11:28
I know a guy who put oxygen into a 747-400's tires, having re-rigged all the fittings which are intentionally designed to prevent the use of oxy on nitro and vice-versa.

There is a good chance in the modern world of "instant out-of-the-box" maintenance crew, that this sort of behaviour will increase.

Professional ground engineers must be tearing their hair out already.