PDA

View Full Version : Help with Windows Home Network appreciated

BOAC
15th Dec 2007, 22:08
XP SP2: Host and Client (admin user) have wifi connection via router and are in 'Home' network. I have added a second user profile (admin privileges) but cannot get it to access network. Host can see all shared folders in the new profile but I cannot set up a network for the second profile to access the host. Am I limited to one 'user' on a networked machine?

Saab Dastard
15th Dec 2007, 23:10
Am I limited to one 'user' on a networked machine?

No!

I wonder if this is a firewall problem?

SD

BOAC
16th Dec 2007, 08:05
SD - thanks for quick reply! Zone Alarm (on the Host) is 'allowing' the IP of the client for the original network, and I am not sure what difference there is with a second 'user'? ZA settings on the client are 'all users' and allow the network.

I should add that the host can access shared files on the second user but the second user does not have the 'permission' to go the other way.

The router is MAC and IP filtered but I do not see that these are changing with user.

Background Noise
16th Dec 2007, 09:54
When you set up the original network connection did you have an option like 'who can use this connection, Just me or Anyone who uses this computer' and/or can you access that control from the original admin account?

BOAC
16th Dec 2007, 11:50
I think so but I cannot now find the access to that setting to check...........

batninth
16th Dec 2007, 16:05
BOAC,

I'll probably get shot down in flames here - but I've a recollect that you need to set up a Guest account on the Host in order for the Client to get access as any network access is done as "Guest". Now, this may be flim-flam, but I did it and since I put the guest account on the host then every other client sees the shared drive & printers.

I would suggest taking a starting look http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308007 which has links onward to the various troubleshooting areas including the Guest account checking.

Other than that, I agree with Background Noise that the firewalls may be worth checking, again a first principles check at each end.

Good luck with it

Saab Dastard
16th Dec 2007, 17:34
but I've a recollect that you need to set up a Guest account on the Host in order for the Client to get access as any network access is done as "Guest"

Yes, you are shot down in flames.

That is nonsense!

SD

BOAC
16th Dec 2007, 19:57
Problem solved with many thanks to SD for his help. All to do with access permissions and requiring me to 'connect as a different user' to gain access to the Host.

Once again a feather in the cap for SD and PPRuNe!

batninth
16th Dec 2007, 20:14
SD,

Yes, you are shot down in flames.

That is nonsense!

Dang! It may be nonsense, but it's damn good nonsense. Thanks for setting the record straight, sometimes my aging brain doesn't quite remember how it was without my looking at my notes.:hmm:

Glad you got it fixed BOAC

Background Noise
16th Dec 2007, 21:15
So was it a zone alarm problem?

BOAC
16th Dec 2007, 21:25
No - basically I did not understand the issues involved in accessing a network on another machine and could not find how to enter any required password to enable this access, until shown the way. Neither ZA nor the router firewall were in the way. The original (working) network connection was made from the client which had the same account password and account name as on the host - ie mine. The 'forbidden' access was from a different username on the client and needed to be 'masked' by 'connecting with a different name'. Instructions covered the use of a Mapped drive. If anyone knows a 'fiddle' to persuade the host that it can 'accept' the different user without setting up a mapped drive that would be useful. E&OE in that explanation:)

BOAC
1st Jan 2008, 20:20
New puzzle:{

Mrs B's laptop arrived from Santa XP Home SP2 (Laptop2)
My Laptop XP Home SP2 (Laptop1)

Desktop XP pro SP2

Home network.

Each laptop can see and access each other on the network
Desktop can see and access both laptops
Laptop2 CAN ping desktop
Laptop2 can also access Desktop and Laptop1

Laptop2 CANNOT access Desktop - access denied - privileges etc etc

I've tried ALL the tweaks and Googles I can find!

Saab Dastard
1st Jan 2008, 22:32
If anyone knows a 'fiddle' to persuade the host that it can 'accept' the different user without setting up a mapped drive that would be useful.

Easiest thing is to have an account on Desktop and an account on Laptop both with same username and same password (non-blank). You can then use the "Network Places" to browse to shares. Works for me! Although I am using XP Pro on all PCs...

SD

BOAC
2nd Jan 2008, 11:50
Big round of applause for Saab! I set up passwords on the 2 laptops plus the desktop for the relevant user (Mrs B) and the first attempt to connect from Laptop2 to Desktop produced a 'new' login panel asking for user and password and then connected and 'saw'. Subsequent network links worked without the login panel, so it loooks as if the home network function on XP requires user passwords set. Still slightly puzzled how Laptop1 had been able to link WITHOUT a user password but hey, who cares:)

Thanks to all, especially Saab, for the pointers.