PDA

View Full Version : Lucky Arrival?

Taxidriver009
15th Dec 2007, 21:20
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIlgu3vTrqk

Hi All,

Does anyone have information on what happened here?

You can speculate away, but if you know the crew, a/c or vessel involved I would love to know what actually happened.

Best combination of poor situational awareness, skill and blind luck I have ever seen.

Cheers,
T

:D:= :O :ok:

before landing check list
16th Dec 2007, 02:25
It appears he lost some control on liftoff subsequently taking out the tail rotor. Then he lost yaw control, spun once then touched down on the deck still spinning. The net saved his ass.

Jerry

TheMonk
16th Dec 2007, 02:37
Not arrival, but an attempted departure. Right rear strap not yet released when heli took off. Green Peace machine I believe. Lucky deckhand (who went back to release the last strap).

Monk

chcoffshore
16th Dec 2007, 02:54
Firstly i think it was a female pilot, and secondly poor communication between the pilot and the deck crew! Why was she pulling pitch with a guy behind her releasing the straps! Day 1 week 1 stuff..........Lucky to walk away from that............Idiot!:ugh: And the damage to the tail rotor, if you noticed it had stopped (because it had struck the deck) when she had luckily landed on.........

before landing check list
16th Dec 2007, 03:15
It appears the right rear WAS released. If it was not I doubt she would not have been able to go that far forward and keeping it straight. Just little/no control and no communication.

AviatorAtHeart
16th Dec 2007, 04:04
Firstly i think it was a female pilot

And the importance of this is ?

SASless
16th Dec 2007, 04:27
Folks seem to overlook the important bit........that was one beautiful hovering autorotation to an unstable deck!:D

As to "luck".....it beats experience, training, planning, and gender every single time.:rolleyes:

Bronx
16th Dec 2007, 07:54
If it was a woman pilot all CHC's done is correct the mistake in the second post.
What's the problem? :confused:

Ascend Charlie
16th Dec 2007, 08:51
If you have ever been on a boat, you will know the sensation.

Watch the video. Note that every time the boat pitches down, the aircraft rocks forward. Happens three times, on the third it rocks enough forward to move - too much collective pitch kept in, and keeping the disk flat.

Basically, with the nose pitched down on a moving ship, the translational lift made it start to fly with a nose down pitch. Pilot snaps back on the stick to stop it, dings the tail rotor, and luckily is smart enough to chop the throttle and allow the deck net to do its job.:ok:

skadi
16th Dec 2007, 09:02
This incident with the very lucky outcome was discussed here a long time ago....
As far as I remember, another cause beside the heavy movements of the deck was, that the collective raised itsself ( common with the Enstroem? ) while the pilot grabbed for the checklist....

skadi

helimutt
16th Dec 2007, 09:04
All helicopters will have a limit on Deck Pitch/roll/heave. This is obviously the cause of this accident. Anyone who has landed on a floating deck will tell you the sensation when it does pitch/heave/roll etc. A bit unsettling at first. Pure luck that it stays on the deck after wiping out its tail rotor and also that the guy out back doesnt get decapitated.

chcoffshore
16th Dec 2007, 15:59
Flungdung!!!!!!! What are you on about?????:ugh: I was just pointing out the sex of the pilot........Lets just jump in with both feet shall we. :mad: Personally i couldn't care less, an idiot is a idiot!

Infact take your post and this forum and shove it up your :mad: Logging off!

All those who PM'd me good luck with your interviews/applications:ok:

Lioncopter
16th Dec 2007, 17:14
I am sure it was a guy not a girl. Though i could be proved wrong.

Taxidriver009
16th Dec 2007, 20:35
Thank you for the feedback,

Skadi: Amazing how this piece of information changed my perception of the event. If the collective was moved inadvertently , I understand what happened. :D

Make you appreciate devices put in place to prevent this. We all know when operating with skids on moving decks with a net involved, you must be careful not to snag it on lift off. I thought it was maybe a training scenario with the student over compensating for this.

A Charlie/ Helimutt: I noticed the same movement of the helicopter/deck. Coupled with Skadi's information it must have caused this unplanned event. :ok:

Apologies for all "offended" by opinions not related to my initial quest to understand the event! :yuk:

Keep them revs up!
T

ps: SASless, fortunately in this case very true! :}

VeeAny
16th Dec 2007, 21:11
I may have asked this before, but if this is a N reg machine N480KP from memory, who would investigate the incident if it occured in international waters.

I don't know if it did occur in international waters , and I would expect the FAA / NTSB would be interested no matter where it occured on the planet, as the type certificate is American and it is registered there.

I ask, because in my research for the accident database, I can find no record of it in the NTSB database, and apart from a mention on you tube and being posted here and some other forums now and again, I can find nothing else about it anywhere on the internet.

Maybe it is in the NTSB dB but with a typo in the reg, there are a few errors in the database like there are in anything like that.

Any ideas ?

GS