PDA

View Full Version : Air China 744 hits Jetblue during taxi at JFK

domani
15th Dec 2007, 10:12
just heard that yesterday an AIr China Cargo hit a Jetblue that was park at the ramp .
Anyone with more details?????????

gengis
16th Dec 2007, 14:53
Are you referring to Air China (Beijing operator) or China Airlines (Taipei)?

Confusing names, but two very different outfits

ICEMAN757200
16th Dec 2007, 16:45
This was something waiting to happen , it´s incredible how JFK controllers manage to get the airplanes to taxy to and from the active RWY´s, why don´t they get a GND RADAR and speak a little slower, specially with foreign airlines ,not all of us speak 100% English. If you have been to JFK then you know what I mean (XXX2345 where are you??:eek:).These guys are good , imagine how their workload will be reduced and how many $$$ they would save on the long term if they had a follow the green(so old yet so simple and effective) Lts and GND RADAR system .We must also agree that some carriers need an intensive english course as well.:ugh:

Capt Dexter Fruitcake
16th Dec 2007, 16:51
How about the controllers have an intensive english course?
And then maybe an intensive air traffic control course.

StoneyBridge Radar
16th Dec 2007, 17:55
Oooooooh, Out Of Order, Fruity !!! :mad::ugh::mad::ugh::mad:
Stoney

QAR ASR
16th Dec 2007, 19:27
Not at all, Capt. Fruitcake is spot on.

I would fully support his comment but with the qualification that it applies to the whole of the USA's Air Traffic Control establishment.

There WILL be a major accident with significant loss of life, which will be FULLY attributed to their incompetence and poor practice.

sevenstrokeroll
16th Dec 2007, 21:40
I've lived all over the USA...when I first started flying into the New York airports, I thought I was in a different country.

American English has many flavors.

It is better to say things at a fine tempo (slowly) and get it right the first time, than to sound like a brooklyn machine gun and have to say: what, say again?!!!

Yes, the next mid air is coming towards us. A congressional investigation will follow...some of us have tried to wake up the government. Indeed, I've said it once and I will say it again. The next big accident is 30 years in the making.

1. 1977 deregulation, without improvements to infrastructure.

2. 1981, ATC strike and firing of controllers. ATC has never fully recovered, a mindset of technology over humans was initiated. Money spent to replace humans that might strike instead of money on infrastructure.

3. Circa 2000, Congress got rid of "slots" at airports...and overscheduling went wild.

Pushing too much tin leads to problems. I say , reregulate, limit landing slots at certain airports, do away with small jets that take up as much room as bigger jets, yet carry fewer people.

hire more people, treat them well and have them look out the damn window, get more ground radar (asde) or whatever and put some paint on the taxiways....follow orange line to runway 13right, follow blue line to gate A27. etc.

Wing Root
17th Dec 2007, 00:35
It doesn't relate to this incident at all but gives an idea of the stuff you hear on JFK ground

A Day in the Life of a JFK controller (http://www.mydatabus.com/public/gwshearer/z/JFKGround.mp3) :eek:

"You guys should come up here - you'd enjoy it, you'd enjoy the show"

domani
17th Dec 2007, 01:58
It Was Air China , Not China Airlines

BEagle
17th Dec 2007, 07:40
Confucius say:

"ATC who speak fast, speak twice."

gengis
17th Dec 2007, 09:23
ok thanks domani.

i'm thinking, how did a 747-400F airplane end up on the jet blue passenger ramp? the cargo apron is miles away..... (not that this excuses the crew/atc or whoever else....)

domani
17th Dec 2007, 11:14
gengis

I was wondering the same thing, the jetblue was parked overnight at the cargo ramp and apparently was not in the correct position.:oh:

Ndicho Moja
17th Dec 2007, 11:41
Off topic I know, but Controller's radio/voice and clearance delivery practices were bad as far back as 1984. LGA and BWI ground in particular. If they would just slow down and take an extra breath there would be a lot fewer mistakes or repeats.

sevenstrokeroll
17th Dec 2007, 12:25
moja:

sounds like the strike of 1981 has caused alot of problems!

L337
17th Dec 2007, 15:42
It pains me to say this but, ever time I operate to JFK I adopt the mindset:

"JFK is a third world airport".

The place is a madhouse.