PDA

View Full Version : Another Classic incident in YPPH?

Long Bay Mauler
15th Dec 2007, 00:41
Just heard a rumour that another Classic bashed an engine last night on landing in YPPH?

Was the pilot flying stood down as per qantas policy into aircraft damage?

How much damage was done,and more importantly,what was the damage?

Anyone know the real story?

aveng
15th Dec 2007, 01:43
Entire crew flew off into more turbulance without being tested.

Short_Circuit
15th Dec 2007, 01:43
What is it about PER that claims so many pods? :confused:

aveng
15th Dec 2007, 01:46
Very bad easterly rolling down off the hills. It was particularly bad last night.

Skystar320
15th Dec 2007, 03:18
Talk about shocking...............

The turbulance was horrific on board the QF 743 in the jumpseat!

Ultergra
15th Dec 2007, 04:23
It's amazing that it can be sooo turbulant in the jumpseat, yet smooth throughout the rest of the cabin... :}

Mr.Buzzy
15th Dec 2007, 09:18
There really must be a shortage!
Jeeeeeeeez...... TURBULANCE???????

bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbsavemebbbbbzzzzzzzbbbbzzzzzzz zzzzz

Creampuff
15th Dec 2007, 19:33
Mr B: ‘turbulance’ is not the same as ‘turbulence’.

Ocurances of turbulance are definately more sever than occurrences of turbulence.;)

Tempo
16th Dec 2007, 02:22
Speaking to the ground engineers last night in Perth-the aircraft and crew were turned around and returned to Sydney after inspection.

Skystar320
16th Dec 2007, 02:45
It's amazing that it can be sooo turbulant in the jumpseat, yet smooth throughout the rest of the cabin...

Wrong flight you were on then as it was bad anywhere in the a/c It was like being washed in a washing machine

chemical alli
16th Dec 2007, 03:36
#4 eng hit an approch light minor damage to transcowl of thrust reverser ,apparently heavy downdraft followed by a pilot response of climb then an uncommanded yaw to the right causing #4 to drop and make contact

Capt Basil Brush
16th Dec 2007, 05:02
#4 eng hit an approch light

An approach light!

That must have been nasty - ie before the threshold!!

Tempo
16th Dec 2007, 05:25
It was actually a runway edge light

Going Boeing
16th Dec 2007, 08:43
So if there was only "minor damage to transcowl of thrust reverser" did they lock out the T/R, apply the MEL and continue in service?

company_spy
17th Dec 2007, 04:44
edge lights are recessed and dont punch holes in cowls ,plus no scrap mark.mel applied some high speed tape and bobs your uncle

Richo
17th Dec 2007, 06:56
Dear Mr SPy

The Runway edge lights at YPPH are NOT recessed. Some are at runway intersections, but 99% are NOT especialy those in the touchdown zone. In addition runway 21 has High intensity edge lights as well.

So tell us more, like which runway was it? 03 or 06 ?

Which side was it Left / right ect

virgindriver
17th Dec 2007, 07:23
I think you could rule out 06 in a jumbo....

Another Number
17th Dec 2007, 08:30
I think you could rule out 06 in a jumbo....

You may think so...

Going Boeing
17th Dec 2007, 08:50
Jumbo's have landed on 06 in very strong easterlies.

virgindriver
17th Dec 2007, 08:53
Oh well. I am happy to stand corrected.

Start4
18th Dec 2007, 02:59
It amazes me how people feel a need to comment about an event like this when their comments betray how little they know. Just an observation.

PLE Always
18th Dec 2007, 08:46
It amazes me how people feel a need to comment about an event like this when their comments betray how little they know. Just an observation.

Welcome to pprune, the land of the arm chair quarterback and the extreme pov! :)

Anybody know what AOB on a classic/747 will give you a pod strike at high ROD at touchdown?

ScottyDoo
18th Dec 2007, 09:00
Depends. Before or after truck de-tilt and strut compression?

I could give you exact figures off the top of my head but don't want to waste bandwidth giving both... :rolleyes:

Bullethead
18th Dec 2007, 09:10
Around 8degs in the flare attitude IIRC.
Regards,
BH.

virgindriver
18th Dec 2007, 11:20
Pod strike around 8.7 degrees at 256t and 7.2 degrees at 285t- at min body pitch angle. Shows you how little I know. (or do I have to go into the graphs further?) :)

David Eyre
18th Dec 2007, 23:49
Hi Folks,

Just to prove the earlier posts that 747s CAN land on rwy 06 at Perth, here's a recent photo (Nov 2007) of a South African Airways 747-400 landing on runway 06:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1297378/L/

Regards,
David

aveng
19th Dec 2007, 04:49
The a/c landed on rwy 06 and struck the #4 engine.

Ref + 10
19th Dec 2007, 11:12
To quote Goose: "Aww haw haw, oh jesus, oh you kill me, you really do"!!! :ok:

woftam
19th Dec 2007, 11:30
I landed on RWY 21 just before they switched to RWY 06 for arrivals and they were "interesting" conditions. Perth can get like that!! :eek:

Monopole
19th Dec 2007, 11:44
Hi Virgindriver,

From someone who lives almost directly under the final approach for RWY 06, I can most definately confirm that 74's often land on 06 in a strong easterly wind. There was also an A340 last week landing on 06.

Cheers
Mono :ok:

whatdouknow
20th Dec 2007, 19:37
Where do I look to see the scrape marks?

Jabawocky
20th Dec 2007, 20:23
The RUNWAY perhaps!:}

Some nice Perthling might post a pic.........

whatdouknow
20th Dec 2007, 23:04
I hope they have approval to take photo's... ;)

Anyone?

SIUYA
21st Dec 2007, 00:20
virgindriver and DirectAnywhere..........

Roll angle for a podstrike is as you say, dependent on the variables quoted, but podstrike can also occur at a less than anticipated podstrike roll angle vs. weight if the landing is..........ummm........'firm', and there's wing 'flex' as a consequence. It's happened before, and it'll happen again.

In fact, wingtip strikes are even known to have happened when at the same time the associated wingpod engine(s) has escaped 'unstruck' so to speak! Seem to recall an Asian carrier had it happen on a 737 a few years back. Crew were unaware that a tipstrike had occurred on landing until a somewhat less-than-impressed passenger told the CAs as he was disembarking that he'd seen bits coming off the wing tip as the aircraft touched down. :eek:

Ref + 10
21st Dec 2007, 03:25
That's what caused those!! I'd been wondering who had been doing broadies on the runway edge like that. Would have to have been rather off centre to be over that far. Those easterlies are known to be intensely gusty and variable too at times...

whatdouknow
21st Dec 2007, 08:14
pictures anyone?

botero
23rd Dec 2007, 00:30
I thought it was reported that it was #4 pod that scraped. So it would be pretty impressive if the scrape marks on the left of 21 are from that incident!:eek:

Louis Cypher
9th Feb 2008, 07:16
I'm told a B747-300 PH-ML last night didn't get too far into the flight before suffering a rather impressive engine failure, followed by a return to PH. Many unhappy SLF standing 10 deep at the Q club bar, drinking their way through the long delay whilst an engine change carried out. Same airframe eventually departed some 3 hours later.

"Souvineers" from the failure found by punters on the ground and handed in the WA police!

woftam
9th Feb 2008, 08:53
Louis, I'm not sure where you get your information from, but I can assure you that the "same airframe" would not have departed only three hours late after an "engine change" in YPPH. There are no spare engines sitting around Perth waiting for a "a rather impressive engine failure" to occur. ;)

Louis Cypher
9th Feb 2008, 10:15
Woftam, the failure, complete with bits falling off most certainly did occur. verified. The report about the engine change came from a normally very reliable source, but i can't verify 100%. Doing the math on the ata ML, it was probably closer to a 5 hour delay.

But then, how many spare classics do they have sitting around at PH??

woftam
9th Feb 2008, 11:57
Louis, I don't doubt there may have been an engine problem. What I can guarantee you is that an engine change didn't happen in three OR five hours. One simple reason is there is no spare engine there !
An A/C change maybe. There is at times more than one Classic on the ground in YPPH.

Louis Cypher
10th Feb 2008, 07:55
Woftam, my apologies, my information about the change was flawed, you are of course, correct.

It was some part of the 'inner cowl' that got spat out, and the delay was in repairing and 'securing' what was left and getting the required approvals to dispatch the acft in that condition.

woftam
10th Feb 2008, 08:39
No worries Louis, but hardly a "rather impressive engine failure". I also wonder what the WA Police have to do with it?
Not a journalist are you? :suspect:

Louis Cypher
10th Feb 2008, 08:59
No Woftam, definitely not a journo. It was a mate of mine on board who described it as 'impressive' . Actually, his description had two words, but i left the first one out.

The WA Police got involved when some guy phoned them saying something just fell on his property, and he figured it must have come from a plane. The cops phoned the relevant agencies asking if anyone lost a bit of an airplane!

Ref + 10
10th Feb 2008, 09:33
He made it into the local rag today. Been here four days from England, goin for a swim in his brother-in-laws pool and they hear a bang. Few seconds later a chuck o metal drops into their backyard.

He made some comment about it being an interesting way to die.... "here I was goin for a swim when....." :eek: He seemed pretty relaxed about the whole thing.

Taildragger67
11th Feb 2008, 11:12
Ref,

Wait until the quality UK paper, the Daily Mail, gets wind of it (given that it has a tenuous link to a Pom). The Mail is noted for the quality of its aviation journalism - there'll be reports of 'pilots grimly wrestling with the controls' after a 'catastrophic engine failure' in which the affected engine 'exploded, showering white-hot pieces of metal over a wide area' (which will doubtless include several schools, a hospital and an RSPCA facility for re-homing cute, small furry animals with underprivileged, disabled children), forcing an 'emergency return' to PH airport as the a/c 'plunged' into its 'death-dive', making all on board (and our swimming friend) think they were all 'about to die'. :yuk:

Cynical, moi? :O

I can just hear my old QFI: "Now students, remember your cockpit drills, whenever you are required to wrestle with the controls, item 1 on your check-list must always be to ensure that it is being done in a suitably grim fashion."

JaguhDunia
12th Feb 2008, 11:34
Was there any small parts from the engine scrape found on the runway? Could have been very dangerous for landing and departing heavies.

Heard that a KAL expat skipper scraped engine pod in NRT a couple of years ago and did not report; very irresponsible. Parts fallen from engine scrape can bring down other heavies ala Concorde in CDG years ago!