PDA

View Full Version : Dead Trigger Fish in the Maldives

BN2A
14th Dec 2007, 11:41
Here's a question for people who know a bit about marine biology (or similar..)!

On a present trip to the Maldives, there's loads of dead fish to be seen (mainly the trigger fish variety) all floating sideways up...

Is there a reason for this??
-Something in the water?
-Something not in the water?
-Global Warming?

Or is it just a passing fishing boat lobbing what he doesn't want overboard?

My crew wonder.....

:confused:

S'land
14th Dec 2007, 12:12
Could be a result of that well known sport "Fishing with Dynamite". :}

OK, I know, hat, coat, door. Going now.

Edited 14:12:07 at 14.31 by S'land - Reason - Can't spell going

BlueDiamond
14th Dec 2007, 12:13
Perhaps someone has been using a "du Pont spinner" rather than more conventional bait.

Or there could be a pollution issue ... if that is the case you'd be unwise to eat any of them. Sometimes an algae bloom can be toxic to fish, does the water have a hazy green or red look to it?

cavortingcheetah
14th Dec 2007, 12:21
:hmm:

Could it possibly be the effect of a seismic shock somewhere in the deeps?
Have you looked out of the windows lately to see if a Tsunami is on the way?

:ooh:

ScottyDoo
14th Dec 2007, 12:35
there could be a pollution issue ... if that is the case you'd be unwise to eat any of them

Ta..... :rolleyes:

tony draper
14th Dec 2007, 14:08
Mebbee they drowned,:uhoh:

SLFguy
14th Dec 2007, 14:43
Even the Fisheries authorities haven't sussed it...been happening since August I believe. :(

cavortingcheetah
14th Dec 2007, 14:50
:hmm:

Could be a very long and slow wave length then.
:uhoh:

anotherthing
14th Dec 2007, 14:53
Shame, apart from the mantas, one of the things I love about diving in the Maldives is the thousands of blue trigger fish that seem to populate some sites.

tom775257
14th Dec 2007, 14:58
Do they get red tide there? Commonly seen in the gulf of Mexico I think.... kills lots of fish, makes breathing hard for people near the sea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_tide

Tigs2
14th Dec 2007, 16:53
Some people use cyanide to catch tropical fish for export back to the Europe/US. They squirt it amongst the coral, the fish are stunned float up and are caught. If you use to much you get lots of dead fish.

airship
14th Dec 2007, 17:34
Dead Trigger Fish in the Maldives

Soon to be followed by...dead polar bears and emperor penguins floating at sea, to enthrall the most adventurous enthusiasts of vacations to the less-frequented parts of the globe. Not forgetting Bengal tigers.

Buy a bigger wide-screen LCD or plasma TV mate, that's all you can do...?!

They're all doomed. And so are the rest of us in due course...

anotherthing
14th Dec 2007, 19:46
Red tide is not a phenomena of the Maldives - at least not traditionally, cyanide fishing very rarely takes place there nowadays (I would say never, but I think that would be a very bold statement) - and for trigger fish (and from the original post it seems to be the main species) to be dying in such large numbers suggests something more subtle in a Mother nature type of way, otherwise there would surely be many species of fish 'turning turtle'

The Maldive marine life and coral has made a remarkable recovery since the Tsunami - I hope that this is not a start of a reversal of such a magnificant feat of nature

Granite Monolith
14th Dec 2007, 20:33
Maybe they were just sleeping:\

eticket
14th Dec 2007, 20:43
There is some more info on this dive holiday operator site (http://www.wernerlau.com/maldives/shared.uk/pages/news.htm). They are saying that it also hapened last year and they don't know the cause yet.

tinpis
14th Dec 2007, 20:50
Oh...the Humuhumunukunukuapuaa ? I wondered what you were talking about at first...:hmm:

arcniz
15th Dec 2007, 07:36
Vibrio? Link (http://www.heedmd.org/?q=node/43)

santos dumont
18th Dec 2007, 15:43
Perhaps these guys know something about it, they are in Maldivian waters now.

http://cdiac.ornl.gov/oceans/met.html

If somebody uncovers the mistery please post it here, I am curious too.

SD