PDA

View Full Version : Hospitals to be fined

goudie
14th Dec 2007, 12:18
Hospitals should be fined if patients get bad care that extends their stay or if they catch an infection, the Government chief medical officer has said.

With Hospitals struggling financially, what's the point of fining them? Surely it won't help resolve the problem. Can someone explain please?

Mercenary Pilot
14th Dec 2007, 12:21
Well the government can use the fined money and put it back into the hospital thus it appears that they have increased funding when really they have done bugger all. :}

Am I a cynic? :confused:

:ok:

gingernut
14th Dec 2007, 12:23
When one fails to capture hearts and minds, sometimes the only option is to grab'em by the b*lls.

frostbite
14th Dec 2007, 12:51
Just another non-solution to line someone's pockets.

Like the recent fine on the supermarkets for overcharging on dairy products. The customer pays twice - first on the overcharge, then on increased prices to cover the fine.

Akubra
14th Dec 2007, 13:27
At least he said "Should" not Will be fined...
I can agree on the Bad Care part, but infection? How do you stop microbes?

Standard Noise
14th Dec 2007, 15:20
Mercenary Pilot - yes, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are wrong!

Beer_n_Tabs
14th Dec 2007, 15:31
Yet another 'brilliant' idea :*

NHS is funded by tax....its not a commercial business. The only thing fining the NHS will do is take money from a sector that desperately needs the money.

There really are some Class A w:mad:rs that come up with these ideas !!

gingernut
15th Dec 2007, 08:40
It all gets a bit difficult when we start talking about hospitals, doctors and nurses. Lot's of people tend to put us on a pedestal, politicians included. (Always look forward to me pay award prior to an election.:))

The fact is, hospitals are very good at devouring health service resources . Some spend your, (patients) money more efficiently than others, and the variance can be massive, with no real benefit for the patient.

I don't know how the "fining" system works- sounds like a bit of a soundbite, but rewarding poor performance is not the key to changing hospital mentalitly.

gingernut
15th Dec 2007, 12:27
Oh come on, someone must disagree:}

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
15th Dec 2007, 14:59
I went to hospital and after the operation I asked the doctor how it went.

He looked at me and said "Fine".

:ooh:

barit1
15th Dec 2007, 16:23
If you have a choice which hospital to use, it might be a good idea to avoid this one. (http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gDoUvU5Ie5XZJqDJqjDGw0C3NaBQD8THG4D80) :eek:

(The same might be said for certain airlines...)

Loose rivets
15th Dec 2007, 20:11
Hospital!!! What is it???