PDA

View Full Version : Circling approach

Jlo
14th Dec 2007, 10:57
Hi everyone

Can anyone tell me what the required visual reference is for a circling approach?

I know that the lowest minima to be used by an operator for circling are:

Visibility and MDH for circling approach:
Aircraft category
A B C D
MDH 400 ft 500 ft 600 ft 700 ft
Minimum visibility 1500m 1600m 2400m 3600m

To land off a non-precision approach or Cat1 ILS the required visual reference is anyone of the following:
(a) Elements of the approach light system;
(b) The threshold;
(c) The threshold markings;
(d) The threshold lights;
(e) The threshold identification lights;
(f) The visual glide slope indicator;
(g) The touchdown zone or touchdown zone markings;
(h) The touchdown zone lights;
(i) Runway edge lights; or
(j) Other visual references accepted by the Commissioner.

What is it for a circling approach?

Any help would be much appreciated!:)

collie77
14th Dec 2007, 14:43
Hi, remember that a circling approach is a visual manouever so the runway must always be in sight, if at any stage during the procedure you lose sight of the runway a missed approach must be flown. In my company our SOP's say that you are not allowed leave the circling height or adopt the landing configuration or speed until either:

the touchdown point on the runway of intended landing is in view
or
at least 7 consecutive lights, which may be approach lights or runway lights, or a combination of both, are in sight.

Hope this helps!

fluffyfan
14th Dec 2007, 19:59
Those minima are the lowest possible, and that would only be when the minima are published for a cirling approach, and I seem to remember that JHB is the only place that has published minima for Circling approach.

At the company I work for the minima for a field without a published circling approach is 1500 ft and 5km vis.

Avi8tor
15th Dec 2007, 04:58
Dont forget the 'visual maneuvering area' for circling. Rather complex area that uses radii off runway thresholds. Dont have the jepp to hand for page ref.

Chess Mate
16th Dec 2007, 20:05
You can take a look to ICAO Doc8168 for further info. Basically it depends on the published minima for a specific approach. It follows an instrumental approach for a runway that is not the runway in use.
Minima is established depending on obstacles surrounding the area where the inst. app. finishes.

Sometimes it is not possible a circling approach cause of the obstcales so it should be specifically stated int he APP. Chart.

Cheers... mate