PDA

View Full Version : Guess this house price....

helimutt
13th Dec 2007, 16:58
Ok, just wondered if people really know the values of homes in the UK. Was talking to a friend and he thought house prices in uk were pretty much the same in most places (he isnt on housing ladder yet as he thinks the prices will plummet!!)
Not going to give you the exact location yet but guess the house value

recently built detached, 5 double bedrooms, 1 en suite, +1 bathroom and downstairs wc, Driveway enough for 3 cars, single garage, conservatory, rear garden with countryside outlook. Cul de sac location. Large kitchen/dining room, utility room.

Ozzy
13th Dec 2007, 17:04
1 bathroom for 4 bedrooms....would never work in our house....

Ozzy

G-CPTN
13th Dec 2007, 17:05
Location is extremely important - Middlesbrough or Hartlepool would demand less than Solihull or Bracknell (and round here an urban location would outrank a distant hill-farm location).
Could be anything from 250 000 to 2 500 000 depending on position.

Felix Saddler
13th Dec 2007, 17:11
I second G-CPTN, a house like that in Newcastle would be anywhere between 10,000,000 and 100,000,000!!!

anotherthing
13th Dec 2007, 17:17
Well in the Scottish borders you would get change out of 250k for almost what you describe with a decent bit of land (change the single garage to a double and not a cul de sac (where you are overlooked by neighbours) but a very quiet road) - there are some selling now (no I'm not in the trade before the mods get all uptight).

Down saaarf you could be looking at anything from 280K upwards.

It does need some idea of location to give anyone a chance to guess correctly.

'Location' is everything though not in the way that the price reflects it...... it could be argued that quality of life in the Scottish borders would be far better than in the outskirts of a congested conurbation down south.

As an exercise in proving to your friend that there are large fluctuations in price (not value mind you), you win.

Bronx
13th Dec 2007, 17:33
"Was talking to a friend and he thought house prices in uk were pretty much the same in most places"

I guess your friend aint done too much research into the subject. :)

Here's a 'flat' the size of a pool table in a good neighborhood in central London Link (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=261069)

B

frostbite
13th Dec 2007, 17:42
Could be 5-6m if it's in central London.

Pointless exercise without location.

helimutt
13th Dec 2007, 17:43
Basically I was finding it difficult to get him to realise some places were silly money.

House described has 1 bathroom but master bedroom has its own bathroom too.

cost? 169,000.
north lincs

Whirlygig
13th Dec 2007, 17:50
North Lincolnshire? SO that would be Grimsby or Scunthorpe then!!! :} Says it all really! :E

Cheers

Whirls

Howard Hughes
13th Dec 2007, 18:15
It's pretty simple, 1 bath room, plus 1 ensuite, plus 1 downstairs WC = 2 1/2 bathrooms!

Got it?;)

G-CPTN
13th Dec 2007, 18:34
What constitutes 'en-suite' (apart from location)?
Is a mere handbasin sufficient, or is a shower essential? What about a bath?
Is a WC necessary? . . . and don't forget the bidet . . .

Was recently involved with someone viewing a six bedroom house (no en-suites - well one handbasin in a cupboard). Their plan was to knock-through to convert one bedroom (5 metres x 4.8 metres) into a bathroom/dressing room . . .

Howard Hughes
13th Dec 2007, 18:38
House being built behind Casa Del Hughes has 6 bedrooms and 6 bathrooms, is that so everybody can 'have a sit', yes I said 'SIT' at the same time?:ooh:

anotherthing
13th Dec 2007, 19:07
I was very young and very drunk when I peed in my wardrobe thinking it was a toilet - does that count as en-suite?

HILF
13th Dec 2007, 21:38
Anotherthing - is this on the same principle as the combined wash basin/urinal found in transit rooms in most Officers' messes?

HILF

ChrisVJ
14th Dec 2007, 02:02
5 Beds and 2.1/2 baths? You chaps are still so primitive. Round here you'd expect at least half a bathroom more than the number of bedrooms and properly they should all be en suite. Need to convert one of the bedrooms to two bathrooms, that'll mke it work. I am just doing that to our current mortgage.