PDA

View Full Version : Phone call from VAustralia

Frogman1484
13th Dec 2007, 07:31
Hi Guys, i just got an email from VAustralia asking me for a convenient time they can call me in order to have a 10-15 minute phone interview.

Has anyone been contacted so far?

If yes what sort of interview is it?

Cheers

arse
13th Dec 2007, 08:02
Very general stuff and just checking you are still interested!

They have no extra info i.e. nothing on pay, conditions, rosters etc

arse
13th Dec 2007, 08:05
The D & G RP forum has a discussion on all this; but nothing specific!

Numero Crunchero
13th Dec 2007, 08:07
A 777CN mate of mine was called...said it was very friendly. They asked him some questions and at the end DJ said he ticked all the boxes and would like to do a 2nd interview, face to face, late Jan. Sorry, I don't have any specific questions etc as my mate is away. He said it was pretty relaxed.

Truth Seekers Int'nl
13th Dec 2007, 08:07
still testing the waters from what i can tell...........not committed to whether endorsement costs apply or bonding............and won't give pay details in writing........bit dicey if u ask me.....
anyway i'm stayoing here @ cx just to give the management a pain in the butt!!!!!!!!...................................

Numero Crunchero
13th Dec 2007, 08:15
My sources tell me that they are likely to try around $180K to see if they can get enough guys at that rate. Given the number of 777 guys in CX and EK that want to live in Australia they might very well get away with a salary this low. Still, it is on a par with what a CX 777 CN is on in HKG.

willnotcomply
16th Dec 2007, 14:31
The truth is, salaries have not yet been set. I don't think they have had the level of interest originally anticipated. If you decide to go, make them pay, the cheque book is open.

Frogman1484
17th Dec 2007, 00:07
Just got my call.

Salary will be between 180 -210 including super. Not including allowances

Rostered to Casa FTL's

Based in Sydney

Interviews at the end of Jan

Training to start in May

First flights in Nov 08

If not 777 rated the endorsements will be salary sacrificed

hongkongfooey
17th Dec 2007, 00:16
There must be guys champing at the bit to get on that little gravy train :rolleyes:

180-210 inc super, read: 165-190 plus super
115-130/annum in the bank after Kev and the boys take their bit.
64500-73000HKD/month net.
No 13th month, no bonus, no housing ( sydney on par with HK for rent if you want to live < 1 hr from town ), no education, no health cover etc etc

Are guys really that desperate :confused:

Feather Boa
17th Dec 2007, 00:45
HKF

No Pollution
Clean Air
Less NOISE
Healthy Food
Clean water

Etc etc etc

Depends on what you are desperate for..........

Fx

sizematters
17th Dec 2007, 02:32
Healthy food??.........that explains why Australians have just overtaken the USA as the most Obese Nation on Earth,,,,,,,,,,,

Hey, Bruce, chuck another cow on the barbie mate !!!!

Gnadenburg
17th Dec 2007, 02:49
That would be the forty thousand fat assed kiwis who choose to abandon their country and come to Oz each year ( yes i've heard Piggy Muldoons long ago IQ remark ).

If the money is bad. The Kiwis will take it.

Frogman1484
17th Dec 2007, 04:45
Just compare it to the Bscale base pay...work it out

Trevor the lover
17th Dec 2007, 06:12
Hey HK Fooey,
Come back down, planet earth misses you.
Just to comment on your negative post
housing, education, medical, 13th month etc etc - these are called expat bonuses, if we go home we are not expats, so bit rich expecting to get all that back home.

Now for your classic - rents in Sydney within one hour of town are on a par with HK. YOU HAVE GOT TO BE JOKING. DO YOU REALLY MEAN THIS. I rent a 3 bedroom house here - nothing flash, very comfortable, But not even in the same ballpark as the house I own in Sydney - 4 bedrooms, big back yard, inground pool, nice views - I get $500 per week, in the Caringbah area. Compare that to my modest home here at over $2,000 Aud per week. ie 4 times the price for a lesser abode. So your outrageous statement is so far off the mark no matter how far you want to stretch the exaggeration.

If you want to post devils advocate type posts - try sticking to facts.

hongkongfooey
17th Dec 2007, 09:04
Negative post eh trev, well if you think that money is good for a widebody command, when the same company pays their narrow body captains as much or more, who is on another planet?
If you hate HK so much, do us a favour and go back to Oz.
What you get for rent in Oz is irrelevant, most pilots in HK live rent free, or close to it, or even have the company pay a flat off for you if you're smart.

Feather
Oz
High taxes
high crime ( would you really let your kids catch a ferry or bus on their own to school ?? )
crap public transport
etc etc

and I agree, depends what you are after.

hk330busdriver
17th Dec 2007, 09:32
I'm on a base as an FO and have elected not to return to hk based on lifestyle (my own and that of my family), and the environment (read space, quiet and fresh air).

The the top end of the money quoted is very close to the first year b scale aussie based capt base of 192k, so really, in relation to cx its in the ball park for guys wanting a base and unable to get one.

The issue is more that both are considerably below the Qantas package. If guys bail from hk for V aust it can only put pressure on the whole cx package both in Aus and Hk so I'm hoping many many guys jump ship. :ok:

Numero Crunchero
17th Dec 2007, 09:46
Just out of interest how long do you have to be in hkg before you get $64,500-$73,000 per month nett? By my calculations that is in the range of SFO4 and beyond. A new CX joiner would get to those levels after 11 years based here. Of course once you are a CN here you are on about $85K nett a month - and based on all the recent a/c orders that should be around 15 years.

So if you want to compare apples with oranges the virgin australia pays more than FO in hkg. A B scaler based in Aus gets about 10-20% more that the proposed virgin deal. But of course, with RA65 etc how many of these bases will be available to our 777 pilots?

If you enjoy hkg and you are happy with your CoS, good for you. But please refrain from using sophistic logic to justify your decisions.

Trevor the lover
17th Dec 2007, 09:56
Hong Kong Dopey,

Have you had a few wines??

Can you just explain where I commented on the V Australia wage as you have suggested on your first line.
Can you explain your comment "if you hate HK so much......" Didn't pass any judgement on HK in my last post.
And don't tell me the rent from houses in Australia is irrelevant - YOU WERE the one who made the comparison in YOUR post about rents in Sydney.

And just for the record - YES I do hate Hong Kong and I do hate idiots like you. Can not, can not, but actually, hack and spit, push in etc etc

Millstream
17th Dec 2007, 12:00
Jeez, NC

"sophistic "
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: :confused::confused:

You are going to lose your sophisticated pommie audience!

Milly

sophistic
Function:adjective Date:15th century 1 : of or relating to sophists (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sophists), sophistry (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sophistry), or the ancient Sophists <sophistic rhetoric> <sophistic subtleties>
2 : plausible but fallacious <sophistic reasoning>

boocs
17th Dec 2007, 12:45
HKF,

just to top it off, I think you'll find Trev is leaving to greener pastures soon!!!

All de best Trev, sorry we didn't have the opportunity 2 fly together. No doubt you'll be enjoying a coffee on Acland st while i'll be having a 'wild' time on a Hangzhou overnight. Oh joy.......:rolleyes:

b.

PanZa-Lead
18th Dec 2007, 08:04
How can you compare a life style in Aus to one in HK is unbelievable. To think anything here is better than Australia, Canada.NZ etc is a joke. I give you the money, and only the money is better ( although that is debatable in the years ahead) but all the rest you cannot compare. AND no I am not Australian. I have lived in HK along time but unlike you I have my eyes open. If I could take up the VS offer I would be gone today. A AUD 100,000 goes a long way more in Aus than my never increrasing salary here.

VONKLUFFEN
9th Jan 2008, 16:48
...everyone still on holiday down in Australia?

Friction Nut
14th Jan 2008, 09:14
:ugh:.....apparently so.....

lion2850
3rd Apr 2008, 13:02
Hi all,

Anybody could provide me with the telephonr number I could call to?

I have received a tel from Vaustralia but wasn't home and missed the opportunity to know more.
Can somebody help and give me a te number where I can call?

Thank you in advance!

Lion

slamer.
3rd Apr 2008, 22:16
Quote #12

That would be the forty thousand fat assed kiwis who choose to abandon their country and come to Oz each year ( yes i've heard Piggy Muldoons long ago IQ remark ).

If the money is bad. The Kiwis will take it.

If the money is bad the Kiwis may take it.... If the attitude is worse the Aussies.. WILL.. bring it.

hongkongfooey
4th Apr 2008, 04:35
Have all the " I hate HK whingers " gone yet :{ :D

flyer10
4th Apr 2008, 08:45
Im an Aussi flying in America because I could never afford the cost of learning to fly in Australia but Id love to go home after 20 years of flying here.. .. overall more info is needed.

haha....seems like i'm on the same boat u were 20yrs back...I just did my CPL MULTI-IR ..written ATP..in Houston...after PPL in Melbourne...i left ...couldn't afford it...by the way how did u manage to work in the states?

dirty deeds
7th Apr 2008, 14:33
For those interested,

Ask if staff travel is available on VB (if you want to commute)?

Ask if staff travel is available on VAus and if Business Class is available
to staff (at VB pilots are not allowed to sit in Premium Economy on staff or
duty travel)?

Ask what the food being served to the crew is going to be, will business
class food not consumed be available to the crew?

Ask what type of hotel accomodation is going to be used and will the
rosters be min rest at each out-port?

Will sim/paxing and ground duties be paid for and contribute to duty, at
VB they are not?

When paxing, will business class be available. At VB, all duty travel,
whether international or domestic is always in economy.

Get the facts, make the choice and enjoy the job. Gotta love aviation.

Living the Dream