PDA

View Full Version : Forced Landing - Sorrento Vic. (Merged)

Sunfish
13th Dec 2007, 04:02
ABC Radio is reporting a forced landing at Sorrento this afternoon at 2.30 pm. Four people on board all OK, apparently only minor injuries, walked away. Single engine aircraft type unknown.

Interpreting the eye witness account, and I'm speculating, it sounds as if there was trouble over the bay. The Pilot selected Sorrento Golf Course but didn't quite make it, taking the wings off on powerlines/poles short of the course and landing on the roadway and rolled. Wings apparently burned. Power off in Sorrento.

Congratulations to the pilot.........a good landing is when.......

bushy
13th Dec 2007, 04:12
Looks like more victims of power lines. Happens a lot doesn't it?

Mick.B
13th Dec 2007, 05:16
If you want to have a really good laugh check out the video on the link. Media at their best. Listen carefully.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22918747-2,00.html

Capt Wally
13th Dec 2007, 05:19
.......phewwwwwwwwww.............lucky lot they are!..........having the wings ripped off may very have saved the hapless aviators lives, took some of the energy right out of the low wing "missled glider" ! Looked like a Piper, well did once, now looks like a torpedo !

Job well done Mr Pilot..................see the relentless training of eng failures pays off:-):)

capt Wally :-)

UnderneathTheRadar
13th Dec 2007, 05:22
Wally - didn't you listen to the news report -

the wings weren't ripped off - "The pilot voluntarily dropped them because they contain lots of fuel and so most of the fuel was left behind - apparently these planes can do that"

Normally you can figure out what they're trying to say but this time....................?

Was also impressed that one of the passengers was unconcious when the plane 'landed' - he is one cool cat!

UTR

ScottyDoo
13th Dec 2007, 05:37
She said the plane, carrying two men and two women, was returning to Moorabbin from Anglesea as part of a birthday flight when the crash happened about 2.30pm.

"It was on its way back to Moorabbin when it lost power and it tried to get to the golf course," Senior Constable Stone said.

"It got to Hotham Road, 400 metres west of the roundabout at Melbourne Road."

The plane dropped its wings voluntarily, Senior Constable Stone said

What kind of halfwit morons do they employ to uphold the law in Victoria???

The "plane" did all of that? Or the pilot of the "plane"??

The "plane" was on its way to Moorabin - just happened to have four POB.

And what does the "plane" dropping its wings mean, voluntarily or otherwise? Is that like Cunstable Stone dropping her daks??

Vic cops, especially the bints, should be kept away from the media and stick to what they're best at - shooting anyone who moves. :rolleyes:

notmyC150v2
13th Dec 2007, 05:56
It gets even better.

Police said the pilot was able to deliberately detach the wings from the fuselage as the plane, believed to be a Piper Warrior, crash-landed - significantly reducing the risk of fire because the wings carry the plane's fuel.

and

"The pilot voluntarily detached the plane's wings because they contained fuel,'' Snr Const West said.:ugh:
Please God don't ever let me touch that button by mistake...:}:}:}
My personal favourite, only because this apparently matters -

He said the plane was flying in non-controlled airspace.

Love it. Just love it.

All from the Brisbane Times.com.au.

Clearedtoreenter
13th Dec 2007, 06:17
That's a classic! Ah now come on, own up, who fed that poor hapless reporter that garbage?

Poor bloke, can't help feeling sorry for him.....

Mick.B
13th Dec 2007, 06:43
aircraft was Vh-jdi

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=0556686&WxsIERv=Cvcre%20CN-28-161%20Purebxrr%20Jneevbe%20VV&Wm=0&WdsYXMg=Hagvgyrq&QtODMg=Zbbenoova%20%28ZOJ%20%2F%20LZZO%29&ERDLTkt=Nhfgenyvn%20-%20Ivpgbevn&ktODMp=Sroehnel%2025%2C%202004&BP=0&WNEb25u=Znggurj%20Uhccngm&xsIERvdWdsY=IU-WQV&MgTUQtODMgKE=&YXMgTUQtODMgKERD=289&NEb25uZWxs=2004-04-16%2000%3A00%3A00&ODJ9dvCE=&O89Dcjdg=28-7816483&static=yes&width=1024&height=780&sok=JURER%20%20%28ert%20%3D%20%27IU-WQV%27%29%20%20BEQRE%20OL%20cubgb_vq%20QRFP&photo_nr=1&prev_id=&next_id=NEXTID

SmokingHole
13th Dec 2007, 06:44
How many times my finger has hovered precariously over that "DROP WINGS" button on the yoke!

OH HOW MANY TIMES!:{:{

Soulman
13th Dec 2007, 06:54
And to think Constable Stone is allowed to carry a weapon... :ugh:

Ex FSO GRIFFO
13th Dec 2007, 07:08
This flying in 'UNCONTROLLED AIRSPACE' looks bloody dangerous to moi!

Imagine, if the pilot had elected to fly in 'CONTROLLED' airspace, then the CONTROLLER IN MELBOURNE TOWER could have controlled him / it all the way to ML???:}:}

And, saved the wings......:confused:

tail wheel
13th Dec 2007, 07:10
Sky News: "A single engine Cessna........."

VH-JDI

Manufacturer: PIPER AIRCRAFT CORP
Model: PA-28-161
Serial number: 28-7816483
Aircraft first registered in Australia: 21 August 1991

I spy
13th Dec 2007, 07:24
OMG - this typifies so succinctly all that the great unwashed public know, or rather, spectacularly don't know, about light aircraft.

Tskkkkk - you guys - don't you know that Piper did offer a "Detach Wing" option on it's later models????:ugh:

Honestly, I dread going to work tomorrow and fending off questions about this.........:{

tnuc
13th Dec 2007, 07:26
i think someone should put a defect report into CASA regarding uncommanded wing seperation on "CESSNA'S" there might be need for a new AD

ScottyDoo
13th Dec 2007, 08:14
don't you know that Piper did offer a "Detach Wing" option on it's later models????

No they didn't, it was discontinued after one year. The doover was shaped too much like a flap lever.

:p

Capt Wally
13th Dec 2007, 08:26
....whooooops soz 'underthe radar' I should have realised that the pilot deliberately dropped the wings off.............I guess when yr about to hit an obstruction there's little reason to have the wings on anyway!:-(
We pilots should enjoy the silly reporters reporting otherwise there would be little else to have a laugh about here.

So now tell me all you aviators out there, what does this pilot now put in his logbook as for place of landing?....................this ought to be good..............was nearly a par 4 ldg :}

Capt Wally :)

Stationair8
13th Dec 2007, 08:27
Sounds like Constable Stone was "stoned" or perhaps should be stoned by GA pilots!!

The PA-28/140 that I fly doesn't have the wing dropping fitted, must be a Piper optional extra.

Does that require a separate endorsement on your licence? Do you have demonstrate on your BFR?

AirBumps
13th Dec 2007, 08:31
What kind of halfwit morons do they employ to uphold the law in Victoria???

The "plane" did all of that? Or the pilot of the "plane"??

The "plane" was on its way to Moorabin - just happened to have four POB.

And what does the "plane" dropping its wings mean, voluntarily or otherwise? Is that like Cunstable Stone dropping her daks??

Vic cops, especially the bints, should be kept away from the media and stick to what they're best at - shooting anyone who moves. :rolleyes:

S/C Stone may not know much about aeroplanes and I'm sure thats probably because he/she has never had anything to do with the things.

Since you know everything though, I'm sure you can tell us all about the Crimes Act Victoria 1958, Road Safety Act 1986, Summary Offences Act and all other manner of legislation that S/C Stone IS familiar with.

Get back in your box and blame the reporter for publishing that crap, not the police. Its not their job to tell the difference between a Cessna and a Piper at first glance, particulary when a reporter is hounding them for information.

On another note, if it is VH-JDI it belongs to the Peter Bini flying school.

SmokingHole
13th Dec 2007, 08:36
I'm sure you can tell us all about the Crimes Act Victoria 1958

Sure. Isn't that the one that goes

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/14/14_6_2.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSYYYYYYYYAU) , Stop or we'll shoot:E

Kulwin Park
13th Dec 2007, 09:51
THAT'S IT !!!! Since the media like to call every single engine plane a Cessna in the Aviation Industry, ...then I'm going call every Car smash I see on the road as a Holden!!!! That'll stir up the Automotive Industry... didn't know there was Ford, Nissan, Mitsubushi, Toyota, Saab, Jeep, Suzuki, Subura, etc... ;)

carbon
13th Dec 2007, 09:54
What the heck is a "Subura";)

puff
13th Dec 2007, 10:07
Airbumps - I don't think that there is any issue that the police officer concerned probably knows a hell of a lot more about criminal code etc than a pilot does(as you would hope so!). Difference is that a pilot doesn't get interviewed and quoted infront of a law court or the watch house being quoted in the news paper about legal issues.

I don't expect the copper to know anything about aviation, but at the same time if you don't know what your talking about in an incident a simple 'the ATSB will be investigating, we are unsure of the cause of the accident' is more than enough to keep the media at bay. Though I do give high points for the A grade bullplop they have come up with here!

I must admit the detachable wings is fantastic, man i've flown a PA28 before and was NEVER shown that feature, I guess always be aware of that unmarked button somewhere in the cockpit because you NEVER know what it might do!

VH-XXX
13th Dec 2007, 10:17
Detachable wings are a "feature" on most light aircraft.

Whether or not most of the rocket scientist pilots out there realise it or not I don't know, but most if not all wings on light aircraft are attached to the fuselage by some moderately sized aircraft AN bolts. Wing structures and attaching bolts / attachments are not designed for the force of hitting a tree, but rather are traingulated and engineered for those forces received during the flight, with margin of course.

Why do they do this? (detach wings at the root) Ease of buiding, parts can be assembled at different locations then shipped for final assembly, shipping of aircraft in containers, folding wings and maintenance etc.

Without knowing who the pilot was I'd suggest he might be a little old-school or Commercial given that he resorted to this measure. Last time I looked this procedure wasn't in the Bini's PPL syllabus.

I don't see what you are on about, it's by design, has happened many times before, will happen again and is probably a very safe option for crashing and when you have no options due to terrain!

susie
13th Dec 2007, 10:19
VH-JDI belongs to Advanced Flight Training, a company, after a change in ownership was previously known as Peter Bini Advanced Flight Training.

Lasiorhinus
13th Dec 2007, 11:20
Detachable wings are a "feature" on most light aircraft.

Without knowing who the pilot was I'd suggest he might be a little old-school or Commercial given that he resorted to this measure. Last time I looked this procedure wasn't in the Bini's PPL syllabus.

I don't see what you are on about, it's by design, has happened many times before, will happen again and is probably a very safe option for crashing and when you have no options due to terrain!

With all due respect, VH-XXX, but how on earth does one 'resort to this measure'?? I'd say that while trying to conduct a forced landing, you'd have other things on your mind than getting out, taking the fairing off, and unbolting the wings.

If there IS a 'detach wings' lever in PA28's, I'd certainly like to know where it is.

I have a few hours in JDI myself - very sad.

YoungAggy
13th Dec 2007, 11:25
Read fine print in flight manual - Detach wing lever sometimes also refered to as the AutoLand lever;)

seriouslyskyhigh
13th Dec 2007, 12:08
Righto I've just created an account so I can just clear up any errors...

Firsty I used to fly VH-JDI, otherwise known as the plane that crashed today, I can tell everyone that there is no such thing as "detachable wings", there is no button/lever/switch/pin/etc to disconnect the wings from the aircraft.

Under my understanding, (I trained in JDI fairly recently, with Peter Bini Adv Flight Training until their takeover), the pilot executed a textbook emergency landing, he even managed to call a mayday, which was tracked.

The main thing is that he managed to get all occupants out with out substantially harming them and himself.

Under my knowledge it is best to use the wings to slow the aircraft down once the craft has entered known terrain, using the fuselage is effective only if you are intending to harm yourself...i.e. use the wings to slow the plane.

Unfortunately the pilot did not quite make it too the golf course, perhaps he did hit the power lines, I'm not sure but I know power lines are incredibly hard to see against the ground due to lack of contrast. So if he did hit power lines that would probably explain why the wings are 20m behind.

It's an unfortunate loss-I loved flying that little plane, sure it was old (it was made in '74, I think, but it had comfy seats and the old style dash [I fly the newer C172S glass cockpit now])...

Cheers,

Jeremy

SmokingHole
13th Dec 2007, 13:04
Good onya Jeremy:ok:

Wish you could have come along sooner. I've just spent the last few hours with my stackhat on, pouring over our Cessna PA28 pilot's operating handbook and the aircraft itself looking for the wing release button/handle/switch/pin/lever to no avail.

Now I can finally put head to pillow and sleep in peace knowing the world is safe again.:E

At least until tomorrow............

gassed budgie
13th Dec 2007, 13:51
You useless bugger Smokinghole. Every PA28 that I've ever flown has one.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/5596/pa28panel1wo5.jpg

It's that handle you can see up under the throttle quadrant.

ScottyDoo
13th Dec 2007, 17:55
S/C Stone may not know much about aeroplanes and I'm sure thats probably because he/she has never had anything to do with the things.

"May not"? More like, "obviously doesn't."

But then if she's employed as a "Pleece Officer" I'd wager she doesn't know much about anything.

Since you know everything though, I'm sure you can tell us all about the Crimes Act Victoria 1958, Road Safety Act 1986, Summary Offences Act and all other manner of legislation that S/C Stone IS familiar with.

If someone put me in front of a camera to speak about it, I'd at least read about the relevant parts of The Act so I at least appear to have a clue... Jesus that bint had no idea if her Gloc was even loaded....:rolleyes:

Get back in your box and blame the reporter for publishing that crap, not the police. Its not their job to tell the difference between a Cessna and a Piper at first glance, particulary when a reporter is hounding them for information.

Attention to detail. If she doesn't know then she shouldn't open her word-hole and say the first idiotic thing that pops into her pea-brain.

And seriously - the "plane" dropped its wings??? Come on man, stop defending this ditzy tart. If that's indicative of the intellect of Victoria's Finest then God Help The Mexicans.

VH-Cheer Up
13th Dec 2007, 21:09
As I recall, when gliding, if you drop a wing, with enough airspeed, you can pick it up again with the rudder. Otherwise you have to use aileron.

Obviously not a Piper/Cessna feature.

Booger
13th Dec 2007, 23:01
How's this gem from The Age website:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/drivers-dodge-plane-as-pilot-pulls-off-miracle/2007/12/13/1197135656422.html

"The plane clipped powerlines before the pilot deliberately detached its wings to reduce the chance of the plane catching fire. The wings contained the plane's fuel."

Genius - "wing detachment capabilities"!! (Anyone remember the Gary Larson cartoon with the "Wings stay on/wings fall off" switch?)

I reckon this article couldn't have even been invented by that "sensationalist Aviation media story generator":hmm:

seriouslyskyhigh
14th Dec 2007, 00:36
Lol Gassed Budgie, pull that in flight you'll only realise your mistake when u land....squeak squeak...skidding....thats the parking brake below the throttle quadrant...ha ha I'm sure you know this...or not...:-P

The PM
14th Dec 2007, 00:47
It gets worse. Think it was the Channel 10 Sydney news that reported it last night as a "Cessna" that was involved when it was clearly one of the bigger Pipers (possibly a Cherokee Six or Lance). Wonder what happened to basic fact checking?
Edit: and whats with the headline to the article? What was aerobatic about it? Did the pilot perform a derry turn or half cuban during descent? Journalistic integrity? bah..........

Sid Departure
14th Dec 2007, 00:55
What are you guys on about?

Haven't you seen this switch?

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii222/ppprune/jettisonwings.jpg

carbon
14th Dec 2007, 01:11
Even the Sun managed to avoid swallowing the wing drop tripe!

sinala1
14th Dec 2007, 01:13
Am I the only one tempted to
When you see news happening: SMS/MMS: 0406 THE AGE (0406 843 243), or email us.
with a story about "uncommanded wing jettison" being a secret plague thats overtaking the GA industry? How operators are fully aware of it, and are training their pilots in "heroic acrobatic manoeuvres" should said uncommanded-wing-jettison take place? How a memo has been sent out to all the local convents/schools/child care centres warning their respective managers to watch out for falling jettisoned-wings and other associated debris?

:E

Stupid bloody woman :yuk:

Wanderin_dave
14th Dec 2007, 01:19
Ah PM, i think you just fell into the same hole as the journos. ''Clearly one of the big Pipers'' It was a Warrior, 30sec of 'basic fact checking' would have told you that.
Fair enough the Journo's a muppet, but it just shows you how easy it is to make that sort of mistake.

TARCS
14th Dec 2007, 01:26
Have just read the said article,
What most of these pilots don’t x-referenece to their basic training principals, are that during an emergency landing in a single engine aircraft (whether it be Cessna or Piper), if you fly through a pair of trees and the wings are broken off, the aircraft will slow down; potential and kinetic energy and all that good stuff.
However, in reality the bastard is lucky if he\she can even steer the thing where they want it to in the first place.
But, thinking about a fuel “hazard” (and detaching the wings because of it, hey) would be the last thing on a pilots mind in this situation. (Called tunnel vision) Great thought and accolades to all the CRM of it; if true we have another “General Chuck Yeager” in our making
At this point in time it would be totally on “self preservation” as with any human being faced with a “do or die” situation. What would you do in car accident if death stared you in the face, hey, try and survive!!!!
Apologies for being so rhetoric, but in this case, both the pprune pilots and the journalist need a fact update.

Stationair8
14th Dec 2007, 01:30
Obvious that you blokes and ladies don't spend the time reading the POH , or know the aircraft systems, or getting the instructor to demonstrate the feature on a check-ride.

Gees how the heck are you going to get on when you move up to fly the big jets.

Well done to the pilot, any time you can walk way is a good landing.

UnderneathTheRadar
14th Dec 2007, 01:34
Is SeriouslySkyHigh a wind up or really that naive?

UTR

The PM
14th Dec 2007, 02:03
Ah PM, i think you just fell into the same hole as the journos. ''Clearly one of the big Pipers'' It was a Warrior, 30sec of 'basic fact checking' would have told you that.
Fair enough the Journo's a muppet, but it just shows you how easy it is to make that sort of mistake.
Today 13:13

:}:}
yes, fair enough I'll extract my foot from my mouth now, poor choice of wording. In my defence, all footage I saw prior to about 20 minutes ago had just the general scene and nothing that could have helped identify the model specifically such as a rego.Obviously a Piper though and I went on a very quick glimpse of the number of windows. My point still stands though, 30 seconds of basic questions would have at least established the brand.

Besides, a Warrior is bigger than say a Cherokee 140 ! :}

seriouslyskyhigh
14th Dec 2007, 02:18
not likely the latter...

capt.cynical
14th Dec 2007, 02:33
I wonder if Andrea is a "BLOND":ugh:

carbon
14th Dec 2007, 02:51
Does make you wonder UTR.

bonzaman
14th Dec 2007, 03:04
In an effort to assist I posted the following on the Sky News feedback.

I was fascinated by a report on your news last night describing a forced landing by a single engined aircraft at Sorrento, Victoria.

The report indicated that there were four people on board the Cessna, it is in fact a Piper, but lets not worry about the detail

My attention was drawn the bit where your reporter described how the pilot could jettison the wings to avoid a fuel fire.

As a licensed pilot I thought that you might be interested in how this is done.

The best method is to fly very low between two trees spaced at a smaller interval than the wing span. That does it every time

UnderneathTheRadar
14th Dec 2007, 03:05
It's funny how the journalist in question has simply repeated the idiotic statements of the local constabulary (see other thread in other D&G forum) yet whenever they are pressured regarding poor reporting and mistakes, journalists are adamant that they check their facts with at least 2 independent sources or other forms of cooroborration.

Time for an email to mediawatch methinks!

UTR

Richo
14th Dec 2007, 03:22
Thought the same thing, at first, UTR.

But the article says, its a Quote from to SC. Which is apparently not what the SC actualy said, but paraphrasing by the jurnos concerned.

A few years ago I read about an aviation organisation in Aust, which had as one of its doctrines to "Educate and inform the media" to improve aviation reporting.

Unfortunatly education and information, just does not appear to be interesting to the media, nor does it improve ratings or sell papers.

You do have a choise though, continue to beat your (our) heads against the wall, or just have a laugh.

HO HUM

Wanderin_dave
14th Dec 2007, 03:31
No worries PM mate. I read both post about 10 times just to make sure i didn't fall in the same hole!!! :}

So what's a Navajo then? Widebody?
And a Cheyenne? Jumbo Piper?......few guys down Moorabbin probably dropping those lines for the chicky babes as i type!!!

Booger
14th Dec 2007, 04:39
:ugh:Hmmm...

Since starting this thread it appears the article has been altered and credited to a new journo! The "Pprune Effect" perhaps?!?

There certainly wasn't any reference to the SC's quote of "The plane dropped its wings voluntarily" on the original article.:confused:

Towering Q
14th Dec 2007, 05:03
It must be something particular to female Constables, apologies to those who don't indulge in this type of behaviour.

A C441 owned by a certain Perth operator got a little high and fast on approach into Koolyanobbing a couple of years ago and crashed through the fence at the other end of the strip.

The female Constable from the Southern Cross Police Station made the comment, through the local newspaper, that it was a timely reminder for pilots to conduct thorough pre-flight inspections. WTF! :ugh:

The PM
14th Dec 2007, 05:27
?......few guys down Moorabbin probably dropping those lines for the chicky babes as i type!!!
Today 15:22

with or without the ****** bars on?
:}

TARCS
14th Dec 2007, 06:21
My goodness,
You guys are a bunch of self opinionated teenage "know alls". (to be polite)
What a waste of space this thread has been; it started out great and deteriated into a bunch of drivle. All this huffing and puffing about whether it is a Piper or Cessna. (which the general public have no idea between the difference)
You can keep this thread for your self egos. "chicky babes" Get a life!!!
Which are HUGE.
This thread went from a jurno reporting what was given to them; to a KKK on jurnos.
How can the pilot industry claim credibility when it carries on like a bunch school children?????

Dog One
14th Dec 2007, 07:04
Interesting thoughts above. Forced landing briefings with students of the past always discussed the best method of landing in trees, which was to put the passenger module between the trees and let the wings take the impact, thus reducing the forward speed and protecting the occupants. Over the years there has been some quite successful and survival forced landings into trees.

Reading some of the above comments would indicate that perhaps this is not discussed or briefed today.

Bear also in mind that the pilot would have been in shock and in discussion with Constable Plod may have mentioned his good fortune in not being burnt alive, which the press have seized as their head line of the day.

Wiley
14th Dec 2007, 07:06
OK, so she might have phrased the comment better, but I can't understand the outrage some are expressing here. Back in the days when I flew light aircraft, if unlucky enough to be involved in a forced landing with a less than ideal field to put the aircraft down in, I was taught to do exactly what this guy did if collision with an obstacle was unavoidable - aim between two trees or use the most appropriate obstacle available to use the wings to dissipate as much energy as possible before the fueslage - and me and my passengers! - came into contact with anything other than flat ground.

Judging by some of the comments posted here, can I assume this technique is no longer taught in flying schools?

...or perhaps on MS Flight Simulator?

Spelunker
14th Dec 2007, 07:53
WOW seriouslyskyhigh, thanks so much for clearing that up.

Thank god there is such a smart pilot among us aviators, whatever would we have done without you.

:ugh:

vee1-rotate
14th Dec 2007, 08:34
hey guys, i found out today that my a good mate of mine was actually PIC of this flight yesterday. Basically, its as most news feeds reported. Lost the engine, attempted to restart to no avail, so started looking for a place to put it down. The golf course looked within reach for a short time, but he realised that they wouldn't make that, hence why he went for the road. Close to the ground he got nabbed in the powerlines and trees and from then on he tells me it was pretty much a blur of leaves etc until they came to a stop.
Very well done on his behalf, to get the aircraft down in a populated area (without putting it into a house, as he mentioned to me) with all 4 occupants walking away. A credit to the training he received!
And for info, the "detachable wings" line came from the police officer who got a little excited while talking to the media. Typical. He found it quite humourous that media reported he had "voluntarily dropped the wings"...good outcome overall, and I'm thankful he was able to walk away unscathed :) He'll be up again at midday tommorow he said ;)

Charlie Foxtrot India
14th Dec 2007, 08:57
They should have known that the "wings fall off" switch is in the passenger compartment in the Cessna Cherokee PA-747, as seen in thus briefing card.

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/minnie_the_minx/WINGS.jpg

Well done the pilot for breifing his pax so they could operate this switch even when unconcious :ok:

Just a thought though, would our insurance premiums go down if the insurance companies realised that all those hours of labour charged to remove wings for an aircraft recovery actually takes only a few seconds?

I think we should be told.

Marvin Martian
14th Dec 2007, 09:49
Ah yes!!! The Far Side at its best.I bet G Larson didn't realise his cartoon would be so prophetic.
MM

Towering Q
14th Dec 2007, 12:26
The same thread on D&G GA and Questions is a lot more entertaining....good pictures too.:ok:

Fragnasty
14th Dec 2007, 13:26
Hasn't the 'Wings stay on / Wings fall off' switch been replaced by the Thronomister?

Capt Wally
14th Dec 2007, 21:35
........like I've said in an earlier post here, the fact that the wings where torn off most likely saved their lives to some degree by taking some of the energy out of the A/C during the impact sequence.:)
Given the right circumstances all aircraft have a "wing removal feature/s" (as well as other bits & pieces on the airframe) this can be achieved by making the little 'speedo' needle go well beyond that little red line on the guage, the VNE line meaning "Vertical Never Ending":}. Doing this (providing you have enough height) will remove (as well as the offending wing/s) any doubt about what's left upon impact !:}
Funny to read what folks say here, if there is a 'lever' to remove said wings then am glad I don't know where it is !:}:}

Capt Wally :-):)

Brian Abraham
14th Dec 2007, 23:43
yet whenever they are pressured regarding poor reporting and mistakes, journalists are adamant that they check their facts with at least 2 independent sources or other forms of cooroborration.

Yeh, right!!! Was interviewed by a reporter and suggested to him that I proof the copy before it went to print as I'm all too well aware of the "I said, you heard" phenomena. The reporter was most indignant that I would suggest such a thing and refused. Guess what - he had the event taking place in another state and didn't get the names of the individuals concerned correct.

Continental-520
15th Dec 2007, 03:15
Clearing Up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Righto I've just created an account so I can just clear up any errors...

Firsty I used to fly VH-JDI, otherwise known as the plane that crashed today, I can tell everyone that there is no such thing as "detachable wings", there is no button/lever/switch/pin/etc to disconnect the wings from the aircraft.

Under my understanding, (I trained in JDI fairly recently, with Peter Bini Adv Flight Training until their takeover), the pilot executed a textbook emergency landing, he even managed to call a mayday, which was tracked.

The main thing is that he managed to get all occupants out with out substantially harming them and himself.

Under my knowledge it is best to use the wings to slow the aircraft down once the craft has entered known terrain, using the fuselage is effective only if you are intending to harm yourself...i.e. use the wings to slow the plane.

Unfortunately the pilot did not quite make it too the golf course, perhaps he did hit the power lines, I'm not sure but I know power lines are incredibly hard to see against the ground due to lack of contrast. So if he did hit power lines that would probably explain why the wings are 20m behind.

It's an unfortunate loss-I loved flying that little plane, sure it was old (it was made in '74, I think, but it had comfy seats and the old style dash [I fly the newer C172S glass cockpit now])...

Cheers,

Jeremy

Funny man.

bythenumbers
18th Dec 2007, 05:53
why doesn't someone make a meaningful comment instead of bagging the media. Of course the media is wrong... as the are every day... you just only realize it when its about something you understand...

Where are the comments about the nose wheel lock that that was pictured up on the dash? (Herald Sun maybe... can't remember) lucky that didn't hit anyone...

morno
18th Dec 2007, 06:17
Maybe he tried to put it on to prevent any terrorists stealing the aeroplane, :}....

No doubt if DOTARS saw it without a chock lock there'd be a fine in the mail. Hey, they tried to argue that an aircraft with half the wing missing and the engine pulled the pieces, while inside a hangar, should have a chock lock, so why not one that's just crashed.....?? :hmm:

Capt Wally
18th Dec 2007, 08:45
................yes crazy Morno, DOTARS have little idea of anything !:bored:

Cop this. I've seen A/C with just a pair of metal chocks chained together with a padlock around the front nosewheel only. That's acceptable for the security of a plane. You only have to rotate the chocks complete with chain 90 deg's & taxi over the chain !!!!:} God the boffins must have shinny seats !

Capt Wally :-):)