PDA

View Full Version : Pratchett has Alzheimers Disease

Bluesteel705
12th Dec 2007, 21:13
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7141458.stm

Pratchett has Alzheimer's disease

The writer said he would continue to work on his latest book
Author Terry Pratchett is suffering from a rare form of early Alzheimer's disease, it has been revealed.

I know theres a few Discworld fans on JB. Best of luck to him :ok:

BOFH
12th Dec 2007, 21:25
And Mubage is still mentally healthy. It's simply not fair.

BOFH

Blacksheep
13th Dec 2007, 00:33
That would depend on your definition of mentally healthy. Bob Mugabe definitely has some severe delusions, a strange gait and odd body language.

My Dad has severe Alzheimers. It took about ten years to progress from mild to severe. It doesn't bother him so much but it has had a terrible effect upon our Mam. I do wish Terry all the best, God bless him, but its his family that will suffer the most.

Buster Hyman
13th Dec 2007, 00:52
Well, I guess he can plaigiarise himself now & nobody will complain.

Its a nasty & insipid disease Alzheimers. I've lost one Aunty to it & have an Uncle getting close to the final stages. Sad for anyone I know, but my Uncle was a Judge in LPL & as a "respected member of the community", it is not a fitting way to go.:(

I hope it doesn't run any further in the family.:uhoh:

boristhemini
13th Dec 2007, 17:08
Good luck to the fella. Book case is packed with the discworld novels and No1 daughter is just starting to read colour of magic. She will have many months/years of happy reading ahead of her thanks to Mr Pratchett. Glad to see he's kept a sense of humour and perspective about it all. Sad news. :(

anotherthing
13th Dec 2007, 18:11
Well, I guess he can plaigiarise himself now & nobody will complain.

Bloody hell, I hope not he's written enough disc world books as it is without copying the buggers. I need a new bookcase!

Still, sad news, but not uncommon

S'land
13th Dec 2007, 18:35
She will have many months/years of happy reading ahead of her thanks to Mr Pratchett.

Only if she keeps re-reading them.

I cannot resist it. As soon as I get a new TP book I HAVE to sit down and read it from cover to cover in one go. Usually laughing like mad all the way through. Bit of a problem when you are on a flight or a train.

Bad news indeed, he still has his sense of humour though.

boristhemini
13th Dec 2007, 19:07
I discovered pratchett by accident. I picked up a copy of light fantastic, left in the hotel lounge I was staying at in Mallorca, as I had nothing else with me.
Usually laughing like mad all the way through. Bit of a problem when you are on a flight or a train.

Yep, strange looks from all and sundry and I was hooked from then on.

TURIN
13th Dec 2007, 20:14
AIDU,
I was going to do that gag but thought it poor taste.:D

frostbite
13th Dec 2007, 20:16
Especially when he's already posted it once in this thread.

Bluesteel705
13th Dec 2007, 20:22
Second Post.

TURIN
13th Dec 2007, 20:42
AIDU
That's twice you made me larrrf out loud on the same thread.

I don't these other chaps got it do you?

Bluesteel705
13th Dec 2007, 20:53
*Light clicks on

I get it now.................... (two snare drums and a cymbal fall off a cliff :{)