PDA

View Full Version : Did airlines really give these away ?

cwatters
12th Dec 2007, 18:14
Somehow I can't see airlines giving these away any more!

http://www.mrpunchsoldtoys.com/acatalog/Mr_Punchs_Shop_Advertising__Promotional_and_Seasonal_7.html

Quote:

1968 BAC One-Eleven Jet Promotional Penknife (Reference #5-9-454)

This combined stainless steel bottle-opener, penknife and screwdriver was made to a registered design in Sheffield, England on behalf of British Airways Corporation (BAC). It promotes BAC's One-Eleven, one of Britain's most successful pure-jet airliners, in terms of numbers sold. The airliners went into scheduled service in November 1968 and this promotional item presumably dates from that time, being given away to passengers during the flights. Measuring 1.75" when closed and 3" when extended, this gadget has the words BAC ONE-ELEVEN impressed on one side and an outline of the jet on the other. It also has a hook for attachment to a key ring. Being made of stainless steel, it is still in very good condition. ( WR) US$20.00

Price: £10.00

Flap40
12th Dec 2007, 20:43
They didn't!

BAC stands for British Aircraft Corporation. Aircraft manufacturers not an airline.

airborne_artist
13th Dec 2007, 11:15
I expect my Mum has thrown it away, but I had a Pan Am Junior Pilot badge - a very small pair of wings I think, that had a very sharp pin on the back, which was all of 1.5" long. It'd be confiscated at security, now of course.

Far, far worse was the handle and top of an exploded hand grenade that I picked up in the French Alps in the 70s, left over from WW2. Came back with that in my case....

Blacksheep
14th Dec 2007, 01:59
I have a super Victorinox (6 blades, one mini saw, two screwdrivers and a corkscrew) gizzit from Pilatus. They gave it to me after I lent them a paddle when they were up **** creek, but Pilatus aren't an airline of course.

I also had a tiny Boeing Logo Victorinox mini knife gizzit with one small blade and a nail file, but Changi security confiscated it. I snapped the blade off it before dropping it in their collecting box - if I can't keep it, no-one else can. :{

I hate Changi security - they're so damned petty. They even tried confiscating my hair cream 'cos it was 25 ccs over size, but they only got the tube. :oh:

Akubra
14th Dec 2007, 10:20
Changi... I seem to recall a big steel box called a "Gun Safe" where one could discharge one's weapon safely (check to see if its empty) in the confines of the terminal without fear of ricochets. Even had a target painted on it, but I doubt it is still there today...

The SSK
14th Dec 2007, 11:56
I've got an Aer Lingus letter knife with a blade about 15cm long and a point that would go straight through your neck and out the other side. I doubt somehow they would allow it in the cabin these days.

merlinxx
15th Dec 2007, 19:23
We nicked them all before the punter could get their hands on them!!!!!

forget
15th Dec 2007, 19:48
:)
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/cumpas/BA.jpg

Mycroft
16th Dec 2007, 19:33
They used to give loads of things away on Concorde flights; some of them intrinsically valuable (silver cufflinks and luggage labels, Wedgewood pottery etc) and others purely of souvenir value (flight certificates). Many of these items are available on eBay, as are various items bought from BA after Concorde's withdrawal, including cutlery and glassware, but also (small) spare parts, and even a nose-cone has entered the collectors market.

ICT_SLB
17th Dec 2007, 02:59
When I worked at the "Lazy B" in Everett, they gave away all sorts of knicknacks in support of their PIE (Pride In Excellence) Awards - I just found a knife similar to Blacksheep's but with a 767 logo that all our group was awarded. They also gave out lapel pins and keychains for a lot of other significant events like rollouts etc.

My current employer tends to give out similar items for rollouts but encased in a lucite block or, for significant dates like "1000th RJ", the "one size fits all" T-shirt.

Groundgripper
18th Dec 2007, 08:32
Many years ago someone in our office had the bright idea of giving away boxcutters emblazoned with the company logo:uhoh: we "lost" them pretty quickly and resorted to ball point pens:}!

Got this off Swissair in 1987 - the only time I ever flew first class with them (company I worked for wanted to get me back from Athens on a bank holiday, steerage class completely full!)
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/chrismaxbrown/SwissairknifePB.jpg
As for lapel pins, I spent many happy hours trading them at air shows and exhibitions - sad really!
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/chrismaxbrown/Pins2PB.jpg
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g18/chrismaxbrown/Pins1PB.jpg
GG

Albert Driver
22nd Dec 2007, 12:55
One of the most sought-after feebies was a penknife produced by Rolls-Royce (Aero-engines).
Flash the large RR logo and many people assumed it came from your personal Roller.

Of course, Rolls-Royce Motors would never have produced anything so, well, indiscrete.