PDA

View Full Version : How do you quote someone on pprune please?

Propellerhead
12th Dec 2007, 11:13
Know I'm being dumb here but how do you quote from someone else's post in your reply please?

The SSK
12th Dec 2007, 11:17
1. Click the reply button inside their post

2. Look at the address bar at the top of your screen. It will start with www.pprune etc and will finish with noquote=1

3. Change the 1 to 0, press go.

Binoculars
12th Dec 2007, 11:58
Must confess I wasn't aware of that, but bear in mind that will quote the whole of their post. If you want to quote only a selection you will have to amend the resulting copy.

Alternatively, you can select and copy (Ctrl-C) the part of the post you want to quote, click on the Quote button in the menu that appears when you click Reply (the last one on the right that looks like a page of writing) place the cursor between the brackets and paste (Ctrl-V).

That doesn't read as simply as it should, but try it, it is easy.

Bushfiva
13th Dec 2007, 10:12
And don't forget the "misquote" button:

but try me, I'm easy

Tell the world, Binocs, tell the world. :)

Whirlygig
13th Dec 2007, 10:20
If you want to state who made the quote you are quoting, where you see , before the closing square bracket type =name.

e.g. [quote=Binos]Bushfiva's a larf!!!!

One can have fun with these functions but they are also dangerous; I once had someone use my name as the quoter when it was actually another person!

Cheers

Whirls

Saab Dastard
13th Dec 2007, 10:30
but try me, I'm easy
Is this the sort of thing you mean, Whirls?

:E

SD

ps - the mods are circling...

Whirlygig
13th Dec 2007, 10:42
Exactly SD!!! But I know you made that up!!! 'Cos I have a capital "W"!!!

Cheers

Whirls

Keef
13th Dec 2007, 14:48
Is this the sort of thing you mean, Whirls?

Now why wouldn't that work for me for the last N months, until now?

NeoDude
20th Dec 2007, 14:48
To further expand on the above. You can add the persons name like this...
[ quote="Name"]Blah de Blah[/quote ]

Bushfiva
21st Dec 2007, 09:48
These are not the quotes you're looking for.

Ooe-er. I'd better move along.

WHBM
26th Dec 2007, 21:15
SSK above has got it pretty much right. To quote someone, including their PPRuNe name, etc :

1. Click "Reply" in their original post.

2. When it comes back with a blank screen and a url in the address line at the top of the screen ending Noquote=1, just click at the end of the line and backspace over the digit 1. You don't need to replace it with 0 or anything, just leave the line ending Noquote=

3. Press return.

This then does what the "Reply" icon used to do on PPRuNe up to about a year ago when it got changed.

johnfairr
5th Aug 2008, 09:53
[/QUOTE]3. Press return.

This then does what the "Reply" icon used to do on PPRuNe up to about a year ago when it got changed.[/QUOTE]

Just trying this out.

Bet I've screwed it up . . . . .

jf

YUP!!

johnfairr
5th Aug 2008, 10:15
Ooe-er. I'd better move along.

try this time and see if it works . . .

Well, yes it does, but I can't see the post from TB now!!

Any help on the AOL TCP/IP and DSL topic, Threaders?

jf

Avitor
25th Oct 2008, 22:32

2. Look at the address bar at the top of your screen. It will start with www.pprune (http://www.pprune) etc and will finish with noquote=1

Great stuff!

BobHead
24th Dec 2009, 13:50
Now my 4th attempt will it work for me.

Added by edit.

I have changed the 1 to a 0 on four occassions I follwed this procedure with no result.

Any further suggestions

BobH

Saab Dastard
24th Dec 2009, 14:48
From post 3 above:

Alternatively, you can select and copy (Ctrl-C) the part of the post you want to quote, click on the Quote button in the menu that appears when you click Reply (the last one on the right that looks like a page of writing) place the cursor between the brackets and paste (Ctrl-V).

That doesn't read as simply as it should, but try it, it is easy.

SD

Keef
24th Dec 2009, 15:17
Now my 4th attempt will it work for me.

Added by edit.

I have changed the 1 to a 0 on four occassions I follwed this procedure with no result.

Any further suggestions

BobH

After you change the 1 to 0 (or just delete the 1) then press Enter.

El Grifo
24th Dec 2009, 15:37
If you are posting on the US hamsterwheel thread and if you are part of the antogonistic right wing cabal which inhabits that space, then the answer would be " as inaccurately as possible so as to twist the meaning of the original post" :ok:

Merry Christmas all

El Grifo

TheWanderer
25th Dec 2009, 19:39
Quoting is easy:

Just write the word quote in rectangular brackets like this: [quote ]then write the text (or copy and paste the text) you want to quote and when you are finished with that text, write a slash quote like this: [/quote ].
The whole will look like this:
[quote ]Text to quote[/quote ]
*Do not write the space before the closing "]".
This is done in the example only because otherwise it would be interpreted as a quote right away.
Text to quote

Pontius Navigator
8th Jan 2010, 14:09

2. Look at the address bar at the top of your screen. It will start with www.pprune etc and will finish with noquote=1

I thought this was the only way to, until I made a mistake.

2 worked so I tried a delete, ie just removed the 1, that worked too. :)

avturboy
3rd Jun 2012, 13:44
SSK above has got it pretty much right. To quote someone, including their PPRuNe name, etc :

1. Click "Reply" in their original post.

2. When it comes back with a blank screen and a url in the address line at the top of the screen ending Noquote=1, just click at the end of the line and backspace over the digit 1. You don't need to replace it with 0 or anything, just leave the line ending Noquote=

3. Press return.

This then does what the "Reply" icon used to do on PPRuNe up to about a year ago when it got changed.

just testing, have been looking for this function for ages :D

thanks - so simple when you know how :ok:

Loose rivets
3rd Jun 2012, 17:03
Example: If you want to state who made the quote you are quoting, where you see . . . bracket type =n ame

Learn something every day.

Say something to make this longer.

Okay. Down with edit flags.

MidlandDeltic
3rd Jun 2012, 19:03
Really would be easier if PPRuNe implemented a quote button though :)

david1300
4th Jun 2012, 00:37
Really would be easier if PPRuNe implemented a quote button though :)
Then the board would suffer as others do - multiple quoting of multiple quotes in posts

david1300
4th Jun 2012, 00:39
Then the board would suffer as others do - multiple quoting of multiple quotes in posts
At least this way only those in the know, and that can remember the instructions, get to use up space.

Bushfiva
4th Jun 2012, 04:28
Indeedydoo.

Well said that person.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidlandDeltichttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/304225-how-do-you-quote-someone-pprune-please-post7224828.html#post7224828)
Really would be easier if PPRuNe implemented a quote button though http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif
Then the board would suffer as others do - multiple quoting of multiple quotes in posts Quote:
Originally Posted by david1300http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/304225-how-do-you-quote-someone-pprune-please-post7225173.html#post7225173)
At least this way only those in the know, and that can remember the instructions, get to use up space.