PDA

View Full Version : Ground Handling who does what?

i need a break
12th Dec 2007, 09:30
Hi can someone please tell me which ground handling agent does which airlines at manchester ??
rumour has it that Ringway Handling have lost some work and as i used to work on the ramp at manchester and am thinking of coming back in the new year would like to know who has plenty of work
cheers

hushkit77
12th Dec 2007, 11:09
Ringway handle Flybe at MAN. However 'Handle' is a bit strong. They do shaft all and are completely useless!!
I think one brain is shared between them all and it never makes its way to my aircraft!!. A bit like the chocks, GPU, tug etc!

ringwaysgoneforever
12th Dec 2007, 11:20
Quote " rumour has it that Ringway Handling have lost some work"

That is an understatement, Ringway have lost most of their work...

Flybe will be next and that will be the nail in the coffin.

As for who has plenty of work, well all the other handling agents have plenty thanks to ringway not holding on to their contracts!!!!!!

i need a break
13th Dec 2007, 07:46
i worked for ringway for 8 yrs and found the guys that did the job some of the best guys you could work with unlike the managers and supervisors who did not have a clue how to make it run like it should

never enough staff on duty for a start and only 1 crew to do turnaround instead of 2 as required on many aircraft it was like that 5 yrs ago when i left and sounds like its got much worse

can someone tell me which airlines have they lost?

groundhand
13th Dec 2007, 08:19
If Ringway had been independent it would have died many, many years ago.

The last post says it all 'only one crew instead of two'; this is 2007, not nationalised 1970!
Time for a change....

DeltaIndiaSierraPapa
13th Dec 2007, 09:40
this is 2007, not nationalised 1970!
Time for a change....

As for the RHS guys on the ground, for the most part they are all really top notch guys, and they work bloody hard. Where they seem to be let down is by the way they are managed. Their working practices are a bit mind-boggling to say the least.

On a typical Emb145 turnaround yo get the following:

They have a guy that runs around all day in an EBT doing nothing but chocking aircraft. Not loading mind you, just chocking. If steps are needed on arrival, well that is another guy. SO anyways after you aircraft arrives, this guy comes out and chocks the aircraft. Then another couple of lads come out to load the aircraft. And THEN, yet another couple of guys come out to push it back (assuming they havent been pulled off to go do another aircraft completely on the other side of the airport). That is at least FIVE guys on a 145. This could easily be accomplished by 3 at the most as that is how most every other handling agent at MAN does it. Take all that with the fact that RHS has the highest paid loaders on the airport and they use at least 2 extras on every turnaround and it is no wonder they are in such dire straits.

20-17
13th Dec 2007, 15:10
They are also the most unionised!
As always everyone blames the managers but the true cause is that the union have made the company non competative and in this market that results in cuts to manpower.
I understand that the working methods have to be approved by the union and that everything is at a cost, and with airlines wanting cuts to turn rates, the first item to go is manpower.

Time for a change, its happenened at LJLA with Servisair taking over the loading to cut airport costs and it will happen at the few airports where the airport authority complete loading.

End point, the lads at Ringway were good at their job but always did it with attitude. No room for this anymore, flexability and multi skill.

Cheers

ringwaysgoneforever
13th Dec 2007, 15:36
Excellent reply 20-17, I couldn't agree more :D

HZ123
14th Dec 2007, 07:41
Sounds just like the BA group at T1 LHR. Most fit the bill perfectly.

i need a break
14th Dec 2007, 11:33
my years with RHSL aircraft were done as following

a crew of 4 men 1 leading hand 2 drivers 1 non driver

1 driver to take loading belt,1 driver to get baggage trucks/dollies and to take non driver with him, this was to turnaround 737,757,A320 and small aircraft
another member of staff from another crew would step aircraft and if you was lucky enough to get the rest of the step mans crew they would join you on the aircraft unload the front then load the back outbound

min 7 men to turnaroud DC-10 , A330 ,A340,767,757-300
min 8 men to turnaround 747

seperate dept for chocks,pushback,groundpower units,headset man etc(these guys did NO loading or unloading off any aircraft)

TechProblem
16th Dec 2007, 10:54
To answer your question Break, here is the thread you need.
Although Ringway are not a full handling agent there is a post from me about who they help. http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=258304