PDA

View Full Version : Relocation For Pilots

jandakotpilot
12th Dec 2007, 00:14
Gday All,

We are a nomadic bunch! Just trying to get ideas for re-locating your personal stuff interstate, and the car too? Looking for a reasonably economic solution other than car with a trailer.

Going from PH-DN round xmas time.

Any suggestions will be helpful

Thanks!

morno
12th Dec 2007, 01:54
That's not telling us much. How much stuff do you have? A whole house? A car load??

When I left the southern states to go north to Darwin I packed it all into my car. If it didn't fit, it stayed behind.

morno

Jabawocky
12th Dec 2007, 02:00
Would this little freight operation, Head Office in Canberra be able to help?

http://www.defence.gov.au/media/download/2006/Dec/20061206/20061206raaf8193188_048_th.jpg

Aussie
12th Dec 2007, 02:02
You bet it would... certainly not at the cost any GA driver could cover though!

CISCODISCO
12th Dec 2007, 02:18
Well i drove from Melbourne to outback in WA and i bought everything in my car, but i love driving and a new experience driving through the country....... but i think there was a mob that u hired the whole track and they even put your car in the back.... looking for the site..

jandakotpilot
12th Dec 2007, 02:35
Sofa, fridge, bed, tv unit, desks and chairs. Just a basic unit to relocate. Nothing too excessive!

Thanks!

morno
12th Dec 2007, 03:10
Doesn't sound like a hell of a lot of stuff. In that case if you're really serious about moving up there for a good year or 2, then find a cheap removalist, and put the stuff in storage when you get up there until you find somewhere to live.

Shed sized places that would fit most of what you're talking about are only about $30 a week give or take. Then either stick the car on a truck and fly up, or drive the thing up there.

morno

Tiger 77
12th Dec 2007, 08:23
When I had to relocate recently (2000km drive), I considered buying an old bus. All the furniture from my unit would of fitted in and I could of parked the car in the back too (via a ramp).

However the huge bonus of using the bus is that it could also be used as a home. This includes when you get to the destination! Imagine the money you'd save on rent and all that stuff.

The other advantage of the bus is that you could pick up a load of tourists at each town you pass, charging a fee. This would pay the fuel bill and probably leave a bit of profit on the side too. When you get to Darwin you could drive around the city picking up passengers all day if you wanted to.

Good luck with the trip, let me know if you want any more advice. :ok:

Tiger.

Fred Gassit
12th Dec 2007, 09:32
I have done that trip both ways more than once, and unless your gear is quite valuable or has sentimental value sell or store it and buy that stuff again when you get up there.

Removal is very dear and being encumbered with an oversize vehicle when you hit town will suck just as much.

Our Darwin company had a mass exodus recently and this was the most popular option taken by far.

Cars are not cheap up there however so you ought to drive. Pity about the time of year...

The Hedge
12th Dec 2007, 10:00
If you can fit your stuff on a pallet, NQX or Northline Freight are the man for the job. So consider leaving the couch and bed at home.

I sent two pallets of boxed stuff including white goods, tv from Alice to Cairns for $400 (3 years ago). It was delivered to my door within 10 days. I also recommend Q Link (QLD Rail) for inter QLD transport.

Most removalists charge thousands, unless you can get a backload.

Charlie Foxtrot India
12th Dec 2007, 11:44
I recommend Sherae Petlink if you are going to take the pup....

Lefthanded_Rock_Thrower
12th Dec 2007, 12:13
Go to any of the big petrol stations, they have big car trailers for hire, U-haul is one of the companies, pretty inexpensive compared to removalists.

Monopole
12th Dec 2007, 23:57
Tiger77,

Why on earth did you not take your Buff
(from a previous post)
Charter rates for my company as follows...

Twin otter $2400 /hr
Buffalo $3800 /hr
PA-31 $990 /hr

For a 2,000k trip that would be a hell of a lot cheaper then buying a bus :}:}.

Ps. You cant charge hitch hikers a fare. You need an F class licence and a medical (and no, you clas 1 aviation medical wont do)....

What you can ask for is a 'Donation' :E:ok:

Tiger 77
13th Dec 2007, 00:30
Monopole

Why on earth did you not take your Buff

The Buff is making me way too much money flying around the Bungles, I'd be crazy to take it away on a personal trip.

Ps. You cant charge hitch hikers a fare. You need an F class licence and a medical (and no, you clas 1 aviation medical wont do)....

I don't think too many people will be checking your qualifications in the middle of the desert. Anyway I'd be aiming toward the wealthier tourists. :)

Cheers,

Tiger.

Swift6
13th Dec 2007, 08:48
I recently moved some stuff from Cairns to WA. I packed up my storage shed and had 3 tea chest sized boxes (60 by 40 by 40) weighing 23kg each and it cost me $120. It took about 10 days but the boxes turned up in good shape.

This may not be what your after (particularly for big things) but it may be of use to other folks in GA - who move around a lot with little money!

Swift

Checkerboard
13th Dec 2007, 09:48
Try this shipping agent:

http://www.seacorp.com.au/

They will take your car as well, and you can pack as much stuff as you like in your car.

I used them to get all my stuff to Wyndham. The operate on a 17 day cycle between Perth and Darwin.

jandakotpilot
13th Dec 2007, 10:05
Hi Guys!
I cannot thank you all enough for your replies! It has been most helpful and has given me ideas outside the box!
The replies don't need to be specific to my needs. Hopefully they help out someone else in community too!
Thanks again guys! :ok: