PDA

View Full Version : Processers

anotherthing
11th Dec 2007, 15:56
My Laptop died recently :( and I am looking to replace it. The problem being that nowadays computer manufacturers (or at least chip manufacturers) have decided it would be good fun to give processors names that have (in my opinion) no relevance T5250 etc etc.

Can anyone advise what I should go for?

The laptop I am replacing was a 3.2Ghz pentium 4, 800MHZ with 2Gb RAM - I need something that is 'fast' as I edit HD Video using Adobe Premiere Pro 2.

Is there a website that anyone knows of that shows comparable speeds to 'old money' processors?

Thanks in advance!!

Spitoon
11th Dec 2007, 16:18
This (http://processorfinder.intel.com/default.aspx) will tell you for Intel processors. I'm guessing AMD will have something similar. You might also find some useful comparisons if you search for "benchmarks". I'm sure you know that processor speed is only one part of the equation for perfoming video editing and the like - I've found that benchmarks sometimes throw up surprising results for specific tasks.

anotherthing
11th Dec 2007, 17:17
Thanks for that - yep, aware that there are many variables - just wanting to know what a t£$%^&*%£$£ is in old money :ok: