PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft beta test or scam?

goudie
11th Dec 2007, 15:00
Apparantly an article in USA Today states that Bill Gates will pay at least $240 and much more to people participating in an e-mail Beta test.
Some third parties are claiming to have made $10,000 Anyone heard about it?

Ozzy
11th Dec 2007, 15:10
Sounds similar to this scam (http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/nothing/billgate.asp).:rolleyes:

Ozzy

Binoculars
11th Dec 2007, 15:15
Despite all evidence to the contrary, some people still fall for anything. Unbelievable. No wonder the rest of us have to put up with endless spam. :ugh:

Gainesy
11th Dec 2007, 15:39
Had two emails this morning, warning not to open emails with "Merry Xmas" in the title line as it contains a deadly virus that will give your puter the clap or something. Wasn't that one going the rounds last Christmas and the one before, ad infinitum?

As one of said emails was from the vicar, I'd like to be reasonably sure before asserting its bovine excrement.

goudie
11th Dec 2007, 15:49
That's the one OZZY. I shall inform my enthusiastic mate!

eticket
11th Dec 2007, 16:34
Goudie,

I received that e-mail about a fortnight ago from somebody in the thespian community, where it had clearly been doing the rounds. The cc list was to at least 50 others. I didn't forward it on as I remembered it from the Compuserve days of about ten years ago. For some reason the sender (a friend) hasn't replied to my very polite response. ;)

Howard Hughes
11th Dec 2007, 16:44
I have actually participated in a beta test with Microsoft and let me tell you I got NOTHING!!:{

AirScrew
11th Dec 2007, 18:14
I know Gates is pretty crazy, but not that crazy...

I recall the exact same scam about 3 years ago....

rvusa
11th Dec 2007, 18:27
Whenever I get any of these kind of messages passed on to me I go to :- http://www.snopes.com/ and usually find them listed on there! ;)

11th Dec 2007, 20:55
I have actually participated in a beta test with Microsoft and let me tell you I got NOTHING!!

You got nothing, and the rest of us ended up with Vista. :{

AirScrew
12th Dec 2007, 00:34
I dont have a very high opinion of BG or his MS products, so...

Bill Clinton, Bill Gates, and Al Gore were in an airplane that crashed.
They’re up in heaven, and God’s sitting on the great white throne. God addresses Al first.

“Al, what do you believe in?”

Al replies, “Well, I believe that the combustion engine is evil and that we need to save the world from CFCs and that if any more freon is used,the whole earth will become a greenhouse and we’ll all die.” God thinks for a second and says “Okay, I can live with that.

Come and sit at my left.”

God then addresses Bill Clinton. “Bill, what do you believe in?”

Bill Clinton replies, “Well, I believe in power to the people. I think people should be able to make their own choices about things and that no one should ever be able to tell someone else what to do. I also believe in feeling people’s pain.” God thinks for a second and says “Okay, that sounds good. Come and sit at my right.”

God then address Bill Gates. “Bill Gates, what do you believe?”

Bill Gates said, “I believe you’re in my chair.”

Howard Hughes
12th Dec 2007, 06:32
You got nothing, and the rest of us ended up with Vista. :{Actually it was for 'Windows Defender' and Interent Explorer 7, so for that I apologise....;)