PDA

View Full Version : Type Rating Exams - Open book or not?

A37575
11th Dec 2007, 11:52
The subject recently came up on the type rating endorsement training for aircraft above 5700 kgs including turbo-prop and turbo-jet types.

I understand that Qantas course policy is to have open book written examinations for aircraft systems. On the other hand there is an opinion that it is CASA policy for all aircraft systems examinations for aircraft type/class endorsement must be closed book Could someone clarify this please and if closed book is a legal requirement, what CASA document is the authority for this.

yerex
11th Dec 2007, 21:38
As I understand it, all Type Endorsement "Groundschools" and Flight Programs for over 5700kg require the Syllabus approved by the Regulator. The Syllabus may have "open book" portions in the Systems competency examination, but this will be stated in the examination preamble. Does that help?

A37575
11th Dec 2007, 23:05
Verex. Thanks for the info. In addition I recall from years ago that CASA (DCA, DoT whathaveyou, mandated that fuel and weight and balance exams required a pass mark of 100%. Is this a current CASA requirement - and in what regulatory document is this laid down?

yerex
12th Dec 2007, 07:14
I think an old CAO may have required a 100% pass in "W & B" and we have inherited this generic requirement, not so hard with todays user friendly trim sheets.

Tankengine
12th Dec 2007, 17:24
Airbus std course in Toulouse is closed book.:ouch:
Last QF course I did in oz was open book.:)