PDA

View Full Version : Modem/Router peculiarities

Devlin Carnet
11th Dec 2007, 10:54
Hi,
I have been experiencing a strange problem over the last couple of days.
My Modem/Router has been losing its settings for no apparent reason.
it is always on,(has been for approx 2 years) but lately when I go to connect it says I cant, then when I access 192.168.1.1 The ISP username, password,and security settings have all reset to nothing.
Anyone else had such an experience?
Regards

airborne_artist
11th Dec 2007, 13:47
It might be the router's way of telling you it's knackered. I had a Belkin that survived about that length of time, played up once, then died. Belkin sent me another one.

Devlin Carnet
12th Dec 2007, 08:21
Yeah that had crossed my mind, and if proved to be the case, I reckon I've more than had my moneys worth, it was a cheapo of EBay anyway.
I just wondered if an ISP could wipe a Routers settings.
Cheers.

CPilotUK
12th Dec 2007, 09:37
Devlin,

Do you share the router with other members of your household?

Is your router properly configured and secured?

The late XV105
12th Dec 2007, 10:05
I just wondered if an ISP could wipe a Routers settings.

I agree with comments above that the signs are almost certainly of a knackered router, but to take your ISP comment, the only one I know of - though there are doubtless others - is BT with the BT Home Hub.

The standard* software on a BT Home Hub allows it to be updated when BT "push" new releases out. This has happened twice whilst I have had mine, and the first update (I assume by error) resulted in the pre-assigned IP addresses of my internal network becoming lost. The second upgrade some months later went fine and I only found out about it when I next logged in as router administrator and found a revised navigation layout.

*As with most routers it is possible to "re flash" a BT Home Hub (actually a rebadged and "ipodesque style" reboxed Thomson unit) to run different software. Pages of info exist on the web about how to do this and what the effects are.