PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Flying Schools

DaisyDuck
11th Dec 2007, 07:35
I heard a story today that there is no flying training available in Darwin because there is no instructors up there and the schools have no one to teach the students. Could someone confirm this? .....Darwin is a capital city! :confused: Yikes.

Hasselhof
11th Dec 2007, 07:39
Don't know if its true about a lack of instructors but Darwin has for quite a long time only had the one flying school in operation, and whilst it has always been busy enough for one full time instructor, there have been extended periods where there just wasn't enough flying for a second (especially given the low demand due high prices). My understanding is also that Darwin Flying School has recently been sold off so it wouldn't surprise me if there was some regulatory / operational reason why flying school ops aren't taking place.

MakeItHappenCaptain
12th Dec 2007, 08:17
The Flight Ideas group has purchased the Darwin Flying School and has one instructor working his butt off with more to follow. Running under the name AV8 Darwin.

DaisyDuck
12th Dec 2007, 08:38
Good to hear that there is still some training in Darwin. I know the pilot/instructor shortage is getting bad however to have no flying school in a Capital City (albeit Darwin!) would be a scary and sad thing.

merlinn
27th May 2008, 04:52
I know this is an old thread, but there is currently no flying school in Darwin at the moment to a shortage of instructors, I rang the school and they cannot see it opening in the near future

Jake82
30th Jul 2013, 12:17
I've just moved to Darwin and want to continue my flight training, but hey what do you know!! This capital city still has no flying school... What can I do? :-/

NIK320
30th Jul 2013, 22:35
If you get desperate I think there is an RA school at MKT, not sure if batchelor has anything.

johnwells3366
31st Jul 2013, 03:00
I came across the same thing.

Heading back to Melbs to finish my training.

There is a flying school out at Bachelor near Litchfield Park, I think Alice Springs Aero Club has something to do with it.

I was dealing with Cliff at Alice Springs Aero and found him unprofessional. He was very very vague with details, could not give me a syllabus, massively underestimated expected costs and a few other things.

But I never went any further than a few phone calls so who knows

Evers
31st Jul 2013, 12:02
Alice Aero occasionally have a 172 at batchelor. would seem just for when there is pre-arranged flying. Also Top End flying club at MKT in Jabiru's. Don't know much about them either though.

Lasiorhinus
31st Jul 2013, 12:41
Call JFC Darwin. They don't do training yet, but with enough people asking them they will.

AussieNick
1st Aug 2013, 00:13
What are Hardies doing with the Airtourer now, are they still contemplating flight training now Av8 has bitten the dust?

There's a market for it up here, not a huge one, but enough to warrant someone like JFC doing a bit I reckon, put a couple of guys on doing both charter and instruction.

Lasiorhinus
1st Aug 2013, 09:43
Ah, is that the old green one? Wonder if it's available for private hire. :hmm:

monkey_monkey
1st Aug 2013, 15:59
I checked online and found this training school declared they have the pilot training program. Does any one know sth about this company?

AV8 Aviation » Flight Training (http://www.av8aviation.com.au/flight-training/index.html)

"Flight Training

Learning to fly is a challenging, rewarding and ultimately very satisfying activity.
At Av8 we can take you from a beginner, with no experience at all through to a commercial pilot.
For further information check out the links at left or give us a call on (08) 8945 5944."

AussieNick
2nd Aug 2013, 01:56
@Monkey_Monkey: A bit of digging will reveal that AV8 went the way of the dodo a few months ago. They just haven't pulled the website down.

monkey_monkey
2nd Aug 2013, 02:59
@AussieNick, thanks for the reply!
So, are there any other flying schools in NT:confused:
Got a state nominated visa in NT, have to stay there for two years.
Flying has always been one of my dreams, considering study flying there.
Any recommendation?

Return Flight
14th Dec 2013, 11:06
Hi All,
Thought I would see if anybody has seen or heard anything with regards to any training resuming in Darwin? Like a lot of others, I would love to get my logbook ticking over again but from what I can see, since AV8 took off, nobody has filled that gap...

anthos92
19th Jan 2014, 14:08
Don't mean to dig up an old thread but can anyone advise if anybody other than Alice Springs aero club is doing flying training in Darwin now?

Lasiorhinus
22nd Jan 2014, 08:22
No, there are no flying schools in Darwin. And by Darwin I mean the entire Northern Territory, with the single exception of the Alice Springs Aero Club.

willgleso
21st Jul 2014, 06:38
I have joined a RA school in Darwin called Top End Flying club.
They train in a JABIRU 230 and /or TACNAM. $230/hr when paying in blocks of 5 hrs

It has 4 instructors 1 of which is full time
It's a good way to build up hours if nothing else

Flight Training - Top End Flying Club (http://tefcnt.weebly.com/flight-training.html)

As mentioned before AV8 is closed down and Darwin Flying Schools number is disconnected

mostlytossas
1st Dec 2015, 08:54
Are there any flying schools for GA operating in Darwin yet? Have a family member moving up there in a couple of months for work purposes who is half way through his PPL and is looking to finish it off.

Dempster
1st Dec 2015, 12:19
Mostlytossas,
Flight Advantage (http://www.flightadvantage.com.au) should be able to assist.

MakeItHappenCaptain
1st Dec 2015, 18:34
Are there any flying schools for GA operating in Darwin yet? Have a family member moving up there in a couple of months for work purposes who is half way through his PPL and is looking to finish it off.

Check with Chartair...:ok:

mostlytossas
1st Dec 2015, 22:34
Thanks chaps. Just what I wanted.