PDA

View Full Version : Switchable wireless?

Polikarpov
11th Dec 2007, 04:35
Is there such a thing as a wireless router with an external switch (i.e. not through a menu screen) to turn the 'wireless' bit on/off?

I want the ability to use wireless occasionally, but 95% of the time I prefer the rock-solid speed and security of Cat 5 cable running to wall jacks. When not in use, I'd rather have no wireless beaming into my skull whilst still having the cables served by the router.

Is maybe a separate wireless repeater a better idea? (is this easy?)

Cheers, P.

Bushfiva
11th Dec 2007, 06:37
The only one I know of is made by Trendnet. There are probably others, of course.

Is maybe a separate wireless repeater a better idea? (is this easy?)

That's also possible, and easy. I take a little Netgear wireless thing when I travel, so I'm effectively doing the same thing.

Polikarpov
11th Dec 2007, 18:39
Thanks, I may follow the path of least resistance then - wouldn't happen to know the model of your Netgear widget would you (so I know what to look for as distinct from a router)?

The Flying Pram
11th Dec 2007, 20:15
You can buy wireless USB "dongles" from most suppliers as a separate unit. Maplins do a selection - look for "Wireless Cards - USB

Squealing Pig
11th Dec 2007, 22:11
You could try simply removing the aerial when you dont want the wifi. I use a BT2100 and the aerial just screws on.

Bushfiva
12th Dec 2007, 00:57
Netgear

Oops, it's a Linksys: WRT54mumblemumblemumble. It's not nearby. Note that I didn't buy it because it's any good, I bought it because it was the first one I saw.

Polikarpov
12th Dec 2007, 03:09
Thanks chaps, have found the type of thing I'm after - it's a wireless access point for adding wireless to an existing wired network. So, a wired router provides the internet to the wall jacks, into one of which I can plug a device like this (http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1133201998773&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=9877339789B12) , which can be switched on or off when I need wireless, without any disruption to the normal service.