PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer Instructor for ATC Flying Camp

Sqwark2000
11th Dec 2007, 00:53
Hi guys and gals,

The Air Training Corps National Aviation Course runs from Jan 7 to 18 2008 and involves 7 instructors & aircraft with 35 students from around NZ. It's goal is to provide air experience for ATC cadets and usually follows an ab-intio training with those capable achieving first solo standard.

This year we require another instructor to join the team, the position is voluntary as are all the instructors but you are well taken care of...accommodation is at the RNZAF Base Woodbourne Officers Mess with meals provided (packed lunch provided on flightline).

Basic day to day routine will be breakfast at 7ish, Daily Flying briefing at 8am, airborne 8.30ish for 6-7 training sorties till aircraft tie-down at 4.30ish, in the bar for pre-dinner drinks by 5.30, 3 course meal and then daily winddown in the bar to complete the day. On average about 40-50hrs of instructing is completed per instructor over the 10 days of flying.

So all you need to volunteer is a current instructor rating, pref a PA38 or C152 rating, your time, beer money (which is very cheap) and maybe some travel expense depending on personal circumstance (most aircraft need ferrying to and from various locations, so instructor needs will be considered using the ferry flights, RNZAF SATS or commercial travel where available)

Any enquiries can be made to Sqwark2000 via PM with your personal details, and relevant flying experience. Please include contact details.

Cheers

S2K

Keg
11th Dec 2007, 05:02
Good luck. I know that 3 Wing, Australian Air Force Cadets (NSW) canceled their scheduled December course due to lack of flying instructors. :(

Aussie
11th Dec 2007, 05:16
Seems as though the days of using instructors for free are gone!

I remember only a few yrs ago guys and girls jumped at the opportunity...

Keg: im sure thats not the only camp thats been cancelled either :suspect:

Awol57
11th Dec 2007, 05:27
The last one in 7WG (WA) was only gliding for a similar reason I think. Its a good way for Junior instructors to get a start, 20hrs of abinitio free accomodation and food for a week.

I always enjoyed them at least.

Keg
11th Dec 2007, 07:35
3WG has a number of flying instructors who are AAFC enrolled members (and are therefore paid for their days work) however the overall shortage is biting so hard that they can't get time off from their other (generally flying) jobs to get on course to instruct.

Aussie, you may be right. It's not my portfolio to worry about too much but I did hear rumblings that 2WG was also struggling for QFIs. We're struggling for staff on all our courses too- flying or otherwise! :(

Richo
11th Dec 2007, 11:09
Keg, I hear you mate.

Still a few of us QFI's in uniform, but there is zero chance of time off from the boss to go and have some FUN and do some instructing. Well at least they paid for my FIR renewal. I've been hovering in the low teens for duty over the last couple of months, hows yours on the 744.

richo

plucka
11th Dec 2007, 19:38
When I was with 27 sqn I worked as a 'slushie' on one of these camps. The next year I was a student and fly my first (powered) solo in a bright yellow tomahawk (ZK-FML), owend by the local RNZAF padre. He was also the instructor. I am sure he doesn't remember me but I sure remember him and the wonderful experience of the camp. I would love to be able to help you out, unfortunately I never got an instructors rating, I went down a different road, still flying though.

If anyone out there can help, but is unsure if they want to, I can assure you that you will enjoy the experience, and play a huge role in changing alot of young peoples lives forever.:ok:

XRNZAF
11th Dec 2007, 19:56
I instructed on the ATC aviation course in January this year and really enjoyed it. Heaps of fun both in the air and at the bar! :E I'm gutted I had to turn down the opportunity to go down this January but the boss wouldn't give me leave! :ugh:But I made sure my name is on the mailing list for NAC '09.

Definitely recommend it to any instructors with a couple of weeks to spare in Jan. :ok:

I wish
11th Dec 2007, 21:25
Sorry for the slight hijack, what is there for kids interested in aviation in the brisbane area?

Had a bit of a google, air scouts, air league etc.

Anyone with more info please?

OZBUSDRIVER
11th Dec 2007, 21:35
Air Force Cadets! Air League may have been first but the AAFC are the real deal.

AAFC (http://www.aafc.org.au/hqaafc/)

Keg
11th Dec 2007, 21:53
Richo, I have the hours but regrettably not the medical at the moment. Back to work soon hopefully.

I wish, where in Brisvegas are you? If you zoom in on this (http://www.aafc.org.au/hqaafc/wingmap.php?wing=2wg) map you'll be able to find an AAFC Squadron closest to you.

Sqwark2000
11th Dec 2007, 22:26
thanks for you replies and testimonials keeping the thread near the top.

Unfortunately the silence has been deafening with regard to PM's and expressions of interest. I'd thought that there would be plenty of C-Cats gagging for some hours, like I was many moons ago. There used to be a waiting list to attend this camp.... so if you know of someone who may not be aware of the thread etc please feel free to point them in my direction.

Plucka - The padre and FML are making their final appearance at NAC in Jan 08. it'll be the Padre's 28th consecutive camp, 21st as CFI i think

Cheers
S2K

Lasiorhinus
12th Dec 2007, 05:04
Unfortunately the silence has been deafening with regard to PM's and expressions of interest. I'd thought that there would be plenty of C-Cats gagging for some hours, like I was many moons ago.

Just a thought - if you paid them, instead of asking people to work for free, you might get some more interest.

"Gagging for some hours" no longer means working for free, when south eastern Australia is full of flying schools who also can't get enough instructors. Flying schools generally pay instructors, too.

I realise the situation is different now to what it was "many moons ago", but if you don't realise it, you'll still be standing at the bottom of that empty pilot tree, shaking the branches and getting nothing but a few twigs and an empty birdsnest, while all the other pilots (be they organically grown, or mass-produced) go off and find paid employment.

Cypher
12th Dec 2007, 05:24
Lasiorhinus, I think you will find that in NZ, instructors generally do get paid, crapily but still paid. I've never heard of a instructor or drop pilot in NZ work for free like they do in Oz. (Hard hat and flak jacket.. ON)

However, the ATC National Aviation Camp and the Air Training Corp is a non-profit organsisation.
This is no different than any other charitable, community work. You are not left out of pocket attending this camp. They pay for all food, accommodation, and provide access to a top notch bar. :E
We're not talking about dropping parachutes for free and a commercial operator getting the money. These students/cadets have all worked hard and been awarded scholarships from high profile aviation companies to attend this camp.
I would happily renew my C-Cat rating and instruct on this camp, however I have the same problem as XRNZAF, my boss won't give me leave. January is our busiest time. I had a rewarding and fun time instructing on these courses.
Though it sounds like I will have to try and make a appearance into BHM to farewell FML and the Padre...

Instead of being focused on the money, how about giving something back to the community that has fostered many a young person's interest into aviation.

XRNZAF
12th Dec 2007, 06:34
"Instead of being focused on the money, how about giving something back to the community that has fostered many a young person's interest into aviation."

Here, here.... :D

CDT Fu
12th Dec 2007, 07:50
Sad to hear that the NAC is stuggling to get enough instructors. 4 cadets from my squadron are attending this course, 1 doing the power flying course and 3 doing the nav course. I am hoping to attend the course next year and it would be a shame if the NAC was cancelled because there were not enough instructors.

Anyway hope everyone attending has a great time and hope to see you there in '09:ok:

plucka
12th Dec 2007, 08:05
cypher,
couldn't of said it better myself...

lasiorhinus,
think of it more like a junior footy coach, they don't get paid to teach the youth what they know, I am sure their reward is watching the kids learn and develop their skills. Dont forget most of these students will still be at school, (hence the reason it is held during school holidays). Same applies here except it is only 10 days and it comes with free living and food.... plus cheap beer.

I was a student in 94 or 95 (I forget now). If I had an instructors rating I would be there in a flash.

MakeItHappenCaptain
12th Dec 2007, 08:11
2 wing is the only school to have it's own AOC and aircraft. Great place to clock up some hours (Jnr Grade 3's take note!), and meet some very experienced people. Many senior airline pilots got their start with the cadets and donate their time back to give others a start.:ok::ok::ok:
Big thanks to all those who help out.:D

Keg
12th Dec 2007, 09:47
2WG may have their own AOC and aircraft but they are by no means the only place in Australia in the AAFC where a cadet can learn to fly. Elementary Flying Training Camps (EFTC) are also held in 1WG (North QLD), 3WG (NSW), 4WG (VIC), 6WG (SA), 7WG (WA) and 8WG(NT). Tasmania doesn't miss out and they either arrange for civvie instruction or have their cadets travel across to 4WG.

All WGs tend to run their EFTCs under the auspices of another flying organisation. Sydney Flight Training for 3WG as an example.

Kermit 180
12th Dec 2007, 21:45
This is the best opportunity for a new C-Cat this side of the black stump. I first attended this course in 1999 with 9 hours instructing up, and have returned every year since and will do so again this year. I do it because I want to put something back into flying, and it's a nice break from normal work. You'll make great friends, live well on an Air Force base with all the extras that go with being in the WB Officers Mess (everyone looks after us, and the Air Force make us feel welcome), and clock up a lump of valuable flying hours over the two weeks. Not to mention the beauty of flying around Marlborough!

See you there.

I wish
12th Dec 2007, 23:31
Thanks for that, seems there are quite a few around.

The lad is 13 in Jan. so will look into it further over the holidays.

I'm in Yeerongpilly so Corinda, Holland Park or Archerfield will do.

Sqwark2000
13th Dec 2007, 00:15
Thanks to those who made suggestions but a volunteer has been found and the instructor slots are full with an eager beaver waiting in the wings as the ground instructor.

It is a very satisfying thing to go back to put back into something that you love and that has helped you along the way.

If you get the opportunty to put back in, then go for it and encourage those starting out...

Have a happy Xmas and New Year y'all

S2K

flying-spike
13th Dec 2007, 01:56
My oldest boy is at 212 Sqn. at Redcliffe and loves it. He can start his flying training at their annual Amberley camp next year (if they have the instructors). Organisationally they can be a bit of a dog's breakfast but you have to put up with that when you releiant so much on volunteers.

CDT Fu
13th Dec 2007, 02:21
Thanks Sqwark2000! :D

I'm so glad that you were able to locate an instructor. Your's and other's attitude towards us cadets is very reassuring. Can't wait to attend the NAC myself so I can experience the excitement and magic of flight with great people like you :ok:

PS If anyone knows any guys or girls between 13 and 15, living in Auckland and is interested in aviation and the military, our squadron (3 Squadron) is recruiting for next year. Loads of activities happening next year including our own squadron flying camp, shooting camp and tramps. PM me for details:ok:.

Cheers Tony.

OZBUSDRIVER
13th Dec 2007, 06:04
I wish, if your boy makes the choice to join. He will never regret it. Depending on how much he puts in he will get heaps out of it. My two oldest are doing a biv up at Lakes Entrance at the moment. Oldest is right to go flying training next year at Point Cook. That will be another one fighting to get in the left seat:ok:

Ex 12flight 212SQN for me. Have had a ball and am civ instructing at 406/418 so giving a bit back. My brother has his two girls go through our old flight. Flying Spike, I am sure will back me on this,212 is THE best equipped squadron in the entire system. The CO, Tony Lee, has performed miracles to get the squadron to where it is today.

212 Strength in Flight:ok: