PDA

View Full Version : Weight Restrictions

AJWatson2209
10th Dec 2007, 18:30
Hey,

I am currently about to start my PPL license and was looking on a schools website and it stated that and I quote 'Please note that a weight limit of 90 kilos applies to all students - sorry, this is nothing at all to do with the aircraft’s (very extensive) load-carrying capacity but is a legal seat-loading limit.'

Can anyone confirm after taking the class 1 or 2 medicals if this is correct?

I currently weigh in at 17stone as I play rugby however im only around 15% body fat so trying to loose 3 stones will be very hard.

Can someone please advise? I have tried looking at the CAA website and some other threads.

Thanks

Andrew

gingernut
10th Dec 2007, 19:02
I wonder of it's more to do with the centre of gravity, weight of the instructor, runway length and not overall maximum take off weight for the aircraft.

At 17 stone, there will be other aircraft you can fly, it sounds like there could be other limiting factors...can you post a link to the schools site for others to scrutinise.

Or try posting something on private flyers forum:)

AJWatson2209
10th Dec 2007, 19:23
Thanks for the reply.

Its not a school TBA im looking at but just came across this and thought :eek: Ahhhh. I wasnt sure if somehow I would need to drop a few jean sizes as the maximum weight was 90Kilos.

I noticed in another post someone said as long as you BMI was under 35% you were fine.

Andrew

snips
10th Dec 2007, 19:25
I'd guess that the 90KG limit is more to do with the type of aircraft than anything else.
I'd suggest training in a Piper Warrior or a Cessna 172 they'll carry your weight and you'll not snuggling up to your instructor.

Engine overtemp
10th Dec 2007, 19:47
He's looking here (http://members.aol.com/stickrudder/)

dotwaffle
10th Dec 2007, 22:17
I gained my FAA Class 3 at 315 lbs, and my CAA (JAA?) Class 2 at 140kg, so trust me when I say there's no weight restriction as long as you're fit and healthy.

The aircraft, meanwhile, is a different matter. Incidentally, I trained in a PA28.