PDA

View Full Version : Odd happenings

green granite
10th Dec 2007, 15:26
My wife complained that her PC upstairs wouldn't go on line on Friday, so I went up and sure enough it wouldn't then I noticed there was no wireless network icon in the sys tray. When to "control panel" and "networks", there was no network shown clicked on the "new wireless network wizard" and it asked me if I wished to add a PC to the existing network :confused:

Ok I thought we'll do a reboot, all I got was a blank screen, hit the reset button and got the advanced BIOS page displayed with a message saying the CPU was set to the wrong speed (it wasn't) so I changed the setting and then set it back to what it should be, re-booted, Windoze fired up and the network icon appeared and we were on line, so I retired rapidly leaving her surfing away quite happily. Today she came down stairs muttering about :mad: computers, she had re-booted it 3 times before she got the icon in the sys tray and it would go on line. OK the BIOS thing could be a battery problem but what about the network problem? If the battery goes flat and the BIOS resets to default would it take 2 or 3 attempts to recognise there was a card in the PCI slot and XP pro to recognise it and start the network software running? ( the mother board is an Asus. av733)
It worked ok Sat and Sun.
Puzzled of Bedfordshire.

frostbite
10th Dec 2007, 16:51
Pretty well guaranteed to be a battery problem there and I wouldn't make any other assumptions until it had been changed.

green granite
10th Dec 2007, 18:01
Yes my son's going to get one for me tomorrow from Maplins, I just wondered if any one had any other thoughts.

simountain1
19th Dec 2007, 23:54
hmm!! XP normally recognised wireless cards pretty well, I remember having to do this with my laptop all the time and it turned out to be dodgy drivers for the wireless card once I got updated ones for it it worked fine.

green granite
20th Dec 2007, 07:31
Just an update, while I have a new battery I've not yet got round to changing it and it's not happened again.

simountain1 I did update the drivers on install but thanks for the thought.