PDA

View Full Version : Junk mail around the world

The SSK
10th Dec 2007, 14:30
Clearing the crap off my desk, I came across an unopened piece of junk mail; the ‘return to’ address on the back was in Rossendale, Lancs, while (once opened) I discovered the cover letter inviting me to subscribe to a magazine – aviation-related btw – was from a head office in London.

It was mailed in New Zealand.

Have I got this right? Several kilos of this stuff were flown to NZ, stamped, and flown back to Europe? I suppose I should be thankful for the revenue it brings to the Av Biz but this is madness, surely?

ChristiaanJ
10th Dec 2007, 14:53
The SSK,
We regularly get the same thing, and not just junkmail either.
I would think the answer is simply, that the original plus the address list was e-mailed to NZ, then duplicated and mailed there. Lower printing costs and possibly a very favourable bulk mail rate in NZ may well make it a paying proposition.

west lakes
10th Dec 2007, 14:57
Never mind mail a certain seafood company is shipping,by air, Scottish Prawns to the middle east for peeling & back here for packing!

ChristiaanJ
10th Dec 2007, 15:13
And in case anybody thinks 'west lakes' story is urban legend, my brother told me a similar story from personal experience.
In this case, also seafood, shipped from Holland to Morocco for processing, then shipped to Spain for packing, then shipped back to Holland.....

The SSK
10th Dec 2007, 15:15
ChristiaanJ - there was a glossy brochure (A3 folded in half to make 2xA4) as well as the cover letter. I just weighed it, sad character that I am, it came to 52g (envelope, letter and brochure).

west lakes - does that mean the Polish prawn peelers have been undercut, or are they fully occupied with the little brown buggers from Belgium and the Netherlands?

ChristiaanJ
10th Dec 2007, 15:54
The SSK - I suppose the postage was not marked on the envelope (it never is on the stuff I get) ?

candoo
10th Dec 2007, 15:55
Could it be due to the extortionate rates charged here for anything above postcard size?

ChristiaanJ
10th Dec 2007, 16:17
candoo,
Could be, although for something like this you would pay bulk rates.
Dunno for the UK, but in France The SSK's 52g bit of junk would have cost about 0.60€ to send within France in quantities of say 250 to 500.
(Another sad character here, I actually went and looked it up.)

How much is a 25kg non-urgent airfreight package from NZ to the UK?

rotornut
10th Dec 2007, 16:24
Guess where most Atlantic salmon comes from - at least in North America: Chile

west lakes
10th Dec 2007, 16:27
does that mean the Polish prawn peelers have been undercut

SSK

Though not mentioned in the news report (some time ago) I got the impression most of those affected were Scots in the Dumfries/Galloway area

Sorry memory gone shipped by sea

http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=1689082006

Another St Ivian
10th Dec 2007, 16:37
I can confirm that it's no urban legend.

Over the summer I worked for a consultancy which was doing a feasibility study into certain waste management strategies for the Dumfries and Galloway area. During the course of the research I was carrying out, I found that for the company which was producing the largest amounts of seafood/waste, it was cheaper for them to fly it all out to the Philippines or Thailand (can't remember which), have it processed there and flown back.

I'm no huggy-fluff, but even I can see the stupidity in that.

MadsDad
10th Dec 2007, 19:36
It's worse than shipping them to the Middle East.

The companies involved in the prawn shipments were Youngs Seafood (shipping theirs to Thailand) and Dawnfresh (who ship theirs to China).

I do recall reading somewhere that Youngs had said they were going to stop doing it after the fuss when this was originally published but don't know if they did.

ChristiaanJ
10th Dec 2007, 20:16
St Ivian,
I don't think they actually fly it out there and back. It's shipped in refrigerated containers.

And to add my own bit....

Saw an interesting article recently about New Zealand lamb.
Raised outside, eats grass, etc.
Compared to European lamb, mostly raised inside, fed with I hate to think what, and generally causing various forms of pollution, all at considerably higher cost, both in money terms and in terms of the environment.
End conclusion was that the final "environmental impact" of shipping NZ lamb to Europe was far less than that of buying the local product.
Which makes a total nonsense of this notion of "food miles", that's being bandied about.

What scares me, is that with the nonsense being spouted about, for instance, the contribution to "global warming" by aviation, we will see all kind of rackets, like government taxes (which then will go elsewhere), rather than anything positive.
China will need another 25 years or so to clean up its act.
A quarter of all greenhouse gases come from cows' farts and belches (and a few other sources of methane, but yes, I'm serious).

"Global warming", "environmental impact" and all that, are the current "flavour of the month".

The fact that the planet can no longer sustain the current increase in human population, the fact that the oceans and seas are dying rapidly, the fact that species (plants, animals, insects, etc.) are become extinct more and more rapidly, those are noted occasionally, but nobody really seems to care.

We may soon need all that extra CO² in the atmosphere, just to grow food....

Rant over.

G-CPTN
10th Dec 2007, 21:31
WRT the prawns, I read that regions such as Thailand have a use for the shells removed from the prawns, so, together with the lower labour rates, the balance of the operation outweighs the cost of freighting the raw prawns out (even considering refrigeration) and then shipping the packed frozen product back to the UK.
Much of the bulk mail that I used to receive came from Amsterdam. The German company that I worked for used to ship all their bulk mail (including Christmas cards) from Amsterdam (even though they were located as far down in Germany as you can go).

ORAC
10th Dec 2007, 22:17
A quarter of all greenhouse gases come from cows' farts and belches (and a few other sources of methane, but yes, I'm serious). Science to the rescue!!! And a few kangaroos....

Kangaroo bacteria could fight climate change (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2007/12/06/eakanga106.xml) :}

arcniz
11th Dec 2007, 00:32
ORAC
Quote:
A quarter of all greenhouse gases come from cows' farts and belches (and a few other sources of methane, but yes, I'm serious).
Science to the rescue!!! And a few kangaroos....

Kangaroo bacteria could fight climate change

Doubters repent! We predicted this! (drum roll)

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3424513&postcount=24

kiwi chick
11th Dec 2007, 00:59
And guess what, ChristiaanJ?

Saw an interesting article recently about New Zealand lamb.
Raised outside, eats grass, etc. Compared to European lamb, mostly raised inside, fed with I hate to think what, and generally causing various forms of pollution, all at considerably higher cost, both in money terms and in terms of the environment.

You get the goods, we get the leftovers. I don't eat NZ Lamb because I can't afford to - it would cost me $18-$20 for a small leg to roast, and there would definitely be no left-overs for sammies the next day.

And there are 40 million of them here. And only 4 million people.

:ugh:

S'land
11th Dec 2007, 10:38
Interesting comment from KC.

In the days when I still lived with my parents (1960's) my mother would always buy NZ lamb instead of English, Scottish or Welsh. When asked by friends why she preferred frozen imported lamb to the fresh local product he replied that it tasted better, was much more tender and was also a lot cheaper.

When the Uk joined the EU we had to give up our old trade agreements and the price of NZ lamb rose. Didn't stop Mum buying it, just meant that there were less lamb butties the next day.

AcroChik
13th Dec 2007, 00:56
According to someone who knows this sort of thing, during the '80s mail posted in New York City bound for New York City addresses, was containered and flown to San Francisco for sorting, then flown back for local delivery. Apparently there was a "capacity impediment" here and available capacity there.