PDA

View Full Version : Lagos Fire Service, Why!

ZAZOO
10th Dec 2007, 12:14
I noticed that the NAA has started cutting down the remaining scrapped aircrafts towed out into the open area at the end of 18R.

Correct me if I am wrong but I think a DC10-30, A310 and a B747-200 and what looks like a HS125 at the far end still remain parked out there.

The fire service at DNMM should salvage at least two of theseaircrafts for their training purposes, this is a great opportunity for the airport fire service and would go a long way in helping out with their training skills.

If someone on pprune has any contacts with the authorities at NAA please please pass on the idea to them before its too late.

I have had the opportunity to interact with a couple of the fire service lads in lagos and around the country and believe me all they want is to learn more if given the opportunity.

This is a golden opportunity for the Aviation fire service in Nigerian, please the NAA should take it. :sad:

Zazoo

Need to Know Basis
10th Dec 2007, 13:21
You are correct with regards to the wrecks but from what I saw - all had been dragged into the side area over the mud. God Knows how you get them out without tearing them up - Anyway the best of luck to you.

Dr H.O. Demuren - Director General NCAA

Tel +234 1 472 1521

[email protected]

BALEWA
10th Dec 2007, 14:15
Great idea Zazoo, hope Dr Demuren or someone with contacts in there is reading this thread and can pass the message on ;)

Need to Know Basis, the dry season coupled with the harmattan weather is moving in and that mud is going to dry up and get real hard, so they can still pull them out believe me.

Hope this idea goes through, we need this kind of suggestions, it helps.

B

Alpha Bravo Bravo
10th Dec 2007, 20:57
Zazoo nice and brilliant idea.

Giving the scraps however to the fire service means some people will not get the usual contract to clear the airfield.Zazoo wan kill some people biz:D

skygod
12th Dec 2007, 07:56
ZAZZO,
AROUND THE WORLD ,AIRPORTS BUILD MOCK AIRPLANES TO PRACTICE FIREFIGHTING. HOWEVER IN NIGERIA, AIRPLANES ARE AVAILIBLE FOR PRACTICE. ONCE THE AIRPLANES ARE DESTROYED.A new contract will be issued to build a mock up airplane to practice firefighting technices. WHICH WILL PROBABLY NEVER BE USED.
ITS A PROBLEM THAT CANT BE TACKLED ON PPRUNE. ITS A NATIONWIDE PROBLEM. GOOD LUCK FLYING INTO LIMA ALPHA GOLF

SKYGOD

chuks
12th Dec 2007, 13:16
Once upon a time at DNMM we had a raging bush-fire, about where the Bristow Shell terminal is nowadays. The grass and the piles of old tires and whatnot had caught light and the fire was spreading rapidly, so that a call went out to the Airport Fire Service.

Within, oh, about fifteen minutes a big fire tender hove into view, blue lights flashing and siren screaming. It pulled up to the conflagration, the brakes went on with a mighty hiss of air, the big diesel engine revved up and the monitor atop the cab drew a bead on the blaze.

I was looking forward to this; I had never seen one of these big fire tenders in action!

There was a "Whoosh!" as a gout of foam came out of the nozzle but in the next millisecond it went to a pathetic dribble down the front of the cab, forming a very small puddle on the ramp.

It would seem that "someone" had sold off the water (a rather valuable commodity in Lagos terms) from the tender, so that it was just parked there at the Fire Station empty. Good that it was a bush-fire and not a real crash, eh?

They finally got another tender to come and put the fire out. The whole charade took about 30 minutes, I guess. So much for expecting a quick response. To say that I was disappointed would have been an understatement.

Well, that was then (about 20 years ago, I guess) and this is now. Perhaps everything in Lagos has been straightened out since then. I doubt it but that is still to say that we all should do our best, as with this well-meant
suggestion, to enhance safety as and when we can.

Good luck to you all with that.

ZAZOO
12th Dec 2007, 14:41
Arrived in Geneva a few hours ago with the one that makes everyday of my life worth waking up to on our way to Budapest on Easyjet tonight and just chuckled when I saw it while we ere taxying in , right there at the end of the airport, yup an airplane for the fire fighters.

Looks like they got them in most airports, why not Dnmm and others, it would also help our ICAO status .

Well Happy Holidays to all of you on pprune and hope you get as much rest as I am hoping to catch out here in the east.

Zazoo

V1_RHOT8
13th Dec 2007, 01:05
Zazoo,
Brilliant observation mate, I'm surprised that Lagos doesn't have one of those aircraft mock ups for their ARFF training. How familiar are they with the types of aircraft that service Lagos aiport? Better yet, are the PH, ABV, KN and etc ARFF guys familiar with their aircraft? Do they know where high pressure pipes, tubes or fuel lines are located on the aircraft so as to avoid cutting them in situations that require extrication of passengers or crew. They don't have to burn the aircraft to become better firemen/women. They can use 'em for response training, the police can use 'em hijack/hostage crisis response, our local nollywood people can use 'em as props in their movies and etc.

By the way, does anyone know how the response was during the sosoliso crash? Do we practice Emergency Response drills? How are the ARFF equipment/trucks? Can they reach the farthest part of the airport's movement within 3 minutes? I'll love to get in touch with Dr. Demuren and share some ideas/suggestions with him, the only problem I fear is that my ideas might fall on deaf ears and our leaders will keep practicing our "medicine after death" approach to solving important issues.

Hope you all have a wonderful break.

Cheers.

B Sousa
13th Dec 2007, 04:42
The fire service at DNMM should salvage at least two of theseaircrafts for their training purposes

Come come, by now they should already know how to burn up aircraft in that part of the world......

AirwayBlocker
13th Dec 2007, 07:24
For those more familiar with the wrecks parked next to the runway at Lagos....

I see there is a 737 parked just off the taxiway as you come off the southerly "high speed exit".

It looks like a fairly new addition but as an infrequent visitor I was curious as to the reason for it being there and if it was in fact a recent addition.

Anyone shed some light?