PDA

View Full Version : multi IR

boogie-nicey
10th Dec 2007, 09:20
Just had a quick flight training question. I've got a FAA CPL+ multi IR and I am in the process of conversion to the JAA equivalent. Having completed my exams and CPL training I am now about to embark on my IR training. MY question is this do I need to get my MEP rating before I start my IR course or does my FAA issued ME class rating hold up for this training. I don't intend to fly multi engine PISTON class IR so do I need it when my eventual aim is turbine based anyway.

Will try and get in touch with the good old CAA once I return to the UK but would appreciate any input you helpful advice you could throw my way. Thanks for the help and take care ....

AlphaMale
10th Dec 2007, 10:14
Do you mind me asking where you got your FAA CPL and Multi IR from?

Thanks.

boogie-nicey
10th Dec 2007, 10:55
Air Desert Pacific in the Los Angeles area, great time and I loved the flying down there. But then again I also seem to love the flying here too, maybe I just love flying :p

But seriously any replies to my initial question would be gratefully received :ok:

moggiee
10th Dec 2007, 16:57
You must have passed an MEP course/skills test before taking an MEIR skills test - and, if memory serves correctly, you should not actually start the MEIR course until you've passed the MEP.

BillieBob
10th Dec 2007, 20:06
You don't have to pass the MEP Skill Test before commencing the IR, just have completed all of the training. The MEP and IR Skill Tests can be combined.

FlyingForFun
10th Dec 2007, 21:25
BillieBob's answer is correct for an initial IR.

But you are not doing an initial IR, you are doing a conversion of a foreign IR. I don't think there's any requirement to have a JAR MEP rating before starting your IR training. LASORS E1.2 refers, but make sure you read the section on "Conversion Requirements", not the section "For ME Aeroplanes" which refers to initial issues of an IR.

FFF
---------------

Rob's Dad
11th Dec 2007, 06:03
Hi Boogie

I went to the US and got ME CPL/IR then converted in the UK by adding MEIR (no MEP prior to that) onto my JAA PPL then a ME CPL as well. Although I did a ME oral prior to the IR, there was no specific MEP test - as I applied for CPL and IR at same time I can not remember which test gave me ME rights. Oh, and converting the FAA ME CPL to JAA took 1 flight then test. Where are you converting?

Only other thought, will the turbine IR be SE or ME? If latter, I'm presuming the TR gives you the MEIR 'tick'? But with a ME(P)IR then there are more job opportunities?

RD

pilotpaul
11th Dec 2007, 17:31
You should according to LASORS hold a valid JAA MEP rating before the commencement of any Multi IR training. ICAO -> JAA included.

boogie-nicey
12th Dec 2007, 09:18
Thanks for the excellent input, I really appreciate that and after finally getting through to someone at the CAA they pretty much confirm the sentiment expressed on this thread.

I will wander down to my flight school and get the MEP done too, that bundle of cash should make them happy to see me again .... :p

Laroussi
12th Dec 2007, 12:06
With a bundle of cash, I would negotiate a discount!!! he he he...

If you don't ask you don't get.