PDA

View Full Version : Wasps? In the UK..In December?

boristhemini
9th Dec 2007, 23:26
Having a wander to a drinking establishment after a lengthy walk and saw a buzzy dot and then felt a 'ping' on on my forehead. Looked down and there was a wasp crawling on the path. I'm no David Bellamy but surely this is not right at this time of year? Any other anomalies in your neck of the woods?

asctu
9th Dec 2007, 23:50
Mh, I need to check the two (wasp) nests in my backyard (near FRA in Germany) but so far no anomalies over here. How are the temps at your place, nonetheless its too late in the year.

regards
Jo

dontpressthat
9th Dec 2007, 23:50
I can report the sighting of nasty little stinging stripey beast in west herts about a 2 weeks ago.. albeit, dozy and more crawling than flying but im sure capable of inflicting pain on me.

Sorry to any green eco friendly types but the said bug lost a battle with the bottom of a stella glass..:}

What the hell is going on though.. should be snowballs and sledges this time of year..!

DPT

Blacksheep
10th Dec 2007, 00:26
What the hell is going on though.. should be snowballs and sledges this time of year..!Global Warming? Can't be. We're due another Ice Age round about now and anyway, the Earth's magnetic field will change shortly and 90% of all living species will be wiped out. :hmm:

FLCH
10th Dec 2007, 00:39
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/FLCH/dec07011.jpg
This was southeastern Greenland yesterday as we passed over it, I thought there was supposed to be no snow/little snow in this part of the country because of global warming.

goshdarnit
10th Dec 2007, 00:45
haf to have a feckin' good pair of specs to see any wasps in that picture

dontpressthat
10th Dec 2007, 00:47
Iceberg dead ahead.........

Round D. Globe
10th Dec 2007, 00:49
Blacksheep wrote:

"Global Warming? Can't be. We're due another Ice Age round about now and anyway, the Earth's magnetic field will change shortly and 90% of all living species will be wiped out. :hmm:"

Wait!....WHAT?!!!! All of us?!!! Wiped OUT?!!!! AAAAAAAGGGHHH!!!!

WWWAAAAAHHH!!!! NOOOOOO!!!! :uhoh::uhoh::{:{:{

Well-err-I'm much better now, thank you.. Uh, Wasps in November in the U.K.- Strange, Right? Sniff sniff.

dontpressthat
10th Dec 2007, 00:52
Round d globe.. av you been at the wasp killer or something?? :}:}

G-CPTN
10th Dec 2007, 06:22
Has anyone else noticed that Greenland isn't green and Iceland isn't made of ice?

Rather be Gardening
10th Dec 2007, 08:05
'Any other anomalies in your neck of the woods?'

Yup - the daffodils are blooming, as are violets, roses and fuschias. Still some Peacock and Red Admirals around last week. All well out of season. Would rather have the flowers in the spring, but going out and giving them a lecture about the perils of frost has had no effect at all .....:hmm:

UniFoxOs
10th Dec 2007, 08:59
And here - my overwintering onions are up about double where they normally would be at this time.

UFO

Sallyann1234
10th Dec 2007, 09:06
There were some interesting satellite photos on the TV last night comparing parts of Greenland 10 years ago with the present. One glacier had retreated 10km and another 15km. We can all argue about the causes of climate change but there is little doubt it's happening.

tony draper
10th Dec 2007, 10:02
Yer it's definatly changing all the Pit Heaps up here have melted just in my lifetime.
:rolleyes:
I'm all for the warmer bit but this wetter thing is getting on me tits.
:(

PanPanYourself
10th Dec 2007, 10:23
Wasps? In the UK..In December?
Uh, forgive me, but what's so unusual about that? I'm never surprised to see WASPs in the UK, no matter what time of year it is. The UK is a very common dwelling for White Anglo-Saxon Protestants, it really is nothing new. :}

hat, coat...

Sallyann1234
10th Dec 2007, 10:35
Yep, plenty of Protestants around here. You name it - weather, taxes, Iraq - they're protesting all right.

BenThere
10th Dec 2007, 10:55
Cheer up, Sallyann,

ICECAP reported today that Antarctic ice is expanded much above normal, and the Arctic icecap, due to early winter onset, is recovered to within 1% of normal. This is before the official start of winter.

BBC and CNN will fly out to Greenland in the summer when the glaciers calve and break off, melting at the edges. They'll also give you stock footage of polar bears swimming desperately.

Then you can feel bad again. Vive L'Hiver!

Davaar
10th Dec 2007, 14:46
'Mon pays, ce n'est pas un pays, c'est l'hiver'

('My country is not a country, it's winter')

Gilles Vigneault