PDA

View Full Version : Part time CPL and IR training.

Obs cop
9th Dec 2007, 20:26
Quite simply is it possible?

Career breaks in my job are very tightly controlled and there is even the chance they would deny me unpaid leave.

However, as is the case with many in the modular route, I can't actually afford to give up work.

In my advantage, I work shifts, so could complete most of the training in the working week, but obviously over more weeks. I appreciate that it would be harder, more time consuming and more expensive.

Are there any FTO's who can do this. I live in the Birmingham area so I'm thinking of Atlantic or the Flight Centre in the main.

Regards,
Obs cop

GFYA
10th Dec 2007, 09:47
Aeros Gloucester have run part time CPL courses in the past although it's not the norm. Only about an hour down the M5 if that's not too far. What you need is a predictable pattern of available time as no school will sit there with an instructor and aeroplane on the ground waiting for your last minute call advising that you've suddenly become available.

GFYA

Obs cop
10th Dec 2007, 12:29
Well I am fortunate that my shifts are fairly well set and so I would be able to pre plan my rest days for 4 or 5 weeks quite readily.

Thanks for the reply,

Obs

Vone Rotate
10th Dec 2007, 18:00
I'm in the fire service and in a similar situation.....
Stapleford will do your lessons when ever you want to book them rather than a 2 week course kind of thing.....

Saying that it may be too far for you. I'm milton Keynes and they are about 1.30 hrs from me but it will be worth the drive as they seem an excellent school. This is assuming I get my ATPL's done!!:ugh:

Cirrus_Clouds
10th Dec 2007, 18:07
You beat me to it!

I've also been thinking about this yesterday and today, how will I be able to do a CPL and especially an IR course part time along side a job?

It is a concern as I will need to get a loan for them quite likely and the job will act as security on the loan... so no job, no course, catch 22 ... unless I am able to leave work for around a month unpaid and then return, which I doubt. :rolleyes:

pipertommy
10th Dec 2007, 19:30
Hi,
Finished the CPL/IR a few months back and did it all part time.If you work shifts it should not be a problem,in fact it gives you time to think about what you have learned and need to focus on for the next flight.Buy a flight sim to help with the IR(build the scan),you can fly fly the routes at home doing all the checks ect to keep on top of things while you are`nt able to fly.You can even google earth to learn the local area(tip for the CPL:look up your nav routes before you go on google earth ) if you need to ie being at a new field.Basically brush up on things when your not flying.
Good luck:ok: