PDA

View Full Version : Question on G-IV Abnormal Procedures

balaton
9th Dec 2007, 19:40
Dear experienced G-IV Drivers,

Reading the G-IV manuals, especially the QRH Elecrics Abnormals there are references of setting/resetting circuit breakers on the PDB (Power Disrtibution Box). Now, the PDB is located in the RH Avionics Rack which is aft of the cockpit in the foyer area. Do I understand well that during the handling of an abnormal situation one must leave the pilot seat to reset some C/B's ??

xsbank
9th Dec 2007, 20:21
The situation you are questioning is an 'abnormal' not an 'emergency' so leaving the seat to re-set is reasonable if that is the only situation. Especially if the QRH calls for it.

balaton
10th Dec 2007, 16:24
Many thanks, I just wanted to be sure...
balaton

frontlefthamster
12th Dec 2007, 19:55
The general rule that flight crew should only reset CBs necessary for the continued safe flight of the aircraft is worth considering. :eek:

Knowing what I do about old wiring, I would never reset a CB in flight... :cool:

davidjh
12th Dec 2007, 20:51
Hi guys,

Remember, this is for a Bus fault i.e. the bus power source has cycled from the normal source to another one. You are not resetting circuit breakers as such, you are pulling all of them first, then resetting one at a time until the fault is re-introduced, thus identifying the faulty CB. As mentioned previously, this is an abnormal and not an emergeny situation and the only way to accomplish it is if a crew member leaves the cockpit. My advise is that you carefully and accurately identify the problem, then read the QRH slowly and make sure that you understand exactly what it is that you are required to do, BEFORE pulling any CB's. Sometimes you have to read past each numbered item in order to understand fully what is required, then return to actioning the item.

Hope this helps.

balaton
12th Dec 2007, 21:25
Yes, I strongly recommend to read thoroughly and understand the QRH steps. Especially when you are flying the G-IV. I just did that on long sleepless nights and the outcome was my original question.. It was triggered by the imaginary situation as I am kneeing in front of an open door in the vestibule, resetting C/B's and at the same time trying to communicate with my fellow pilot in the cockpit at FL410 with half the DUs blank due to a bus failure. At first I thought I completely misunderstood something in the G-IV literature. Many thanks for your replies. It is clear now, that Gulfstream really mean it..
balaton