PDA

View Full Version : Emirates open dates in the USA- Age Discrimination

Airmike767
9th Dec 2007, 18:55
Just attended the open session in Houston, Texas. A well presented discussion by some very nice and motivated people.....but be prepared!
Emirates has "no" desire to hire anyone over age 55!
They are clearly skirting the age discrimination laws of many countries by advertising up to age 65.

4HolerPoler
9th Dec 2007, 23:58
Dream on bud. It's their train-set & they'll hire whatever ages they want. They will apply the current company policy regarding maximum hiring age and are not constrained by the age discrimination policies of the country in which they're conducting their road-show.

Airmike767
10th Dec 2007, 00:45
That would be an accurate statement!

ironbutt57
10th Dec 2007, 04:02
If that's how you see the world Airmike..I strongly recommend you remain statesside..different set of rules here bro.:ok:

Lord Flashhart
10th Dec 2007, 06:14
Hey AirMike,

Once you are into EK you can fly til you are 65. I was talking to some pilots from a US carrier (I can't remember which one) in England a few months ago, and they said that raising the retirement age to 65 has not been implemented yet. If that is correct then EK is ahead of the U S of A. (Mind you the F/Os I were talking to, were pissed off that they had been in the company for 18 years, still near the bottom of the seniority list, and still in the right hand seat. Their problem with raising the age to 65 was a perceived further delay in upgrades). :{:p

Airmike767
10th Dec 2007, 18:44
Actually, I have a home in New Zealand! The fact of age discrimination only matters to those whom become subjected to it! And yes, I still have the first wife and have only ever lost one job! The airline job in the USA! To age 60.

My intent was to explain that the mere statement on EK's website that age 65 was ok did not affect the desires of that company to hire pilots under 55. I am sure there are countless reasons why......but would advise over 55 pilots to spend their time elsewhere.

Best Wishes for the Holidays! Fly Safe!

Airmike767(EX)