PDA

View Full Version : FAA licence flying a G-reg

nouseforaname
9th Dec 2007, 14:11
this has probably been answered on here but just wanted to find out as searches didn't return anything specific....

Got an FAA licence want to fly a G-reg. helicopter, not commercially or anything. Can it be done or will I have to get a JAA licence?

VeeAny
9th Dec 2007, 14:48
Yes you can

Lasors A7 gives some guidance on the pilots licence priveleges for an ICAO licence in a G registered aircraft

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS_07.pdf#page=26

From memory if you don't hold something which says it is also an RT licence (which some pilots licences seem to), or if you don't hold a seperate RT licence then you may (read probably are) be required to obtain one.

HTH

Gary

Camp Freddie
12th Apr 2009, 19:42
been looking in the ANO but not doing very well.

anyone know what a FAA PPL(H) holder has to do to fly a G-reg helicopter in the UK legally either on his own or with pax, assuming the insurance company are happy with it (which they are, but they stated "as long as its legal")

does the licence nedd validating by the CAA ?
does any flight training need to be done?
what other gotchas are there?

i want to be bulletproof before I let this person go polling off

hopefully

CF

Curtis E Carr
12th Apr 2009, 20:22
Does this help? (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=137&pagetype=70&gid=170&faqid=208)

Camp Freddie
12th Apr 2009, 20:37
curtis,

cheers shipmatey good job

CF

Curtis E Carr
12th Apr 2009, 20:39
Nae probs!

outofwhack
14th Apr 2009, 02:59
What's "polling off" anyway?
Sounds like you shouldnt be doing it whilst in control of an airplane.:}

md 600 driver
14th Apr 2009, 06:59
curtis

i read that link does that mean you cant fly with a EASA licence?

steve

Curtis E Carr
14th Apr 2009, 12:29
Mmmm, an interesting one.

First of all, the Article referred to in the CAA summary is now, in fact, Article 26 and not 21 as stated.

Secondly, paragraph 4 (b) to the Article does seem to specify that JAA licenses are licences "... rendered valid under this Order" but there does not seem to be a specific mention of EASA licenses. My personal view is that para 4 (b) is, in fact, unnecessary because if it did not exist, and because the CAA has not given "direction to the contrary", JAA licences are automatically "rendered valid". By extension, therefore, because EASA licences (once they kick in) are unlikely to be ruled against by the Authority, they would also be "rendered valid". That said, once Part-FCL has "gone live", I expect all sorts of references to EASA to appear in the ANO and elsewhere.

As this is my interpretation, the usual caveats apply to the above answer.