PDA

View Full Version : NSW Police Airwing

Induced Drag
8th Dec 2007, 22:00
The NSW Police Airwing as just had another pilot leave, thats now 2 in the last month.
I'm guessing the pilots are slowly having enough of stalled wage negotiations and in some cases getting paid less than the crewman.

Heliringer
9th Dec 2007, 01:36
I was told the other day that they are training Cops to become Pilots, is this true?
This may be the norm for all I know but I had never heard it before.

yarpa
9th Dec 2007, 03:09
That would make good sense. From what I hear they have had trouble with 'outsiders', patricularly ADF personnel.

Induced Drag
9th Dec 2007, 05:11
Heliringer - yep you are right , there are 3-4 crewies there that have their CPL (H) with a total of about 700hrs (H) between all 3, couple of hours ICUS with the full timers and she'll-be-right-mate (in the police management's eyes).
Yarpa - the only trouble they have with the outsiders is that the police management (who are all non-aviators) don't like being told by the pilots how things should been done in regard to aviation type matters and aviation safety.

Ascend Charlie
9th Dec 2007, 05:25
It has always been that way. The bosses run it as a police station that has helicopters, instead of a flying squadron that has coppers. Some horrendous decisions have been made by these non-aviators, in particular by one who was on his last posting before retirement. All he wanted to do was keep a low profile and do nothing that would attract attention. His motto was "If somebody has short hair and shiny shoes, it doesn't matter what is in the middle." BMG.

When I was there, of the 9 pilots on staff, 8 were ex-mil. Probably because they had the requisite crew experience, low flying, hooking, hoisting and rescue skills. But with less emphasis on rescue these days, they could lower their sights a bit. But I reckon they should be pilots first and cops second. There is plenty of cop experience in the other crew members, but only one pilot on board.

Learning to be a cop is easy, learning to be a pilot is a lot harder, and getting experience takes years.

Induced Drag
9th Dec 2007, 05:39
Ascend Charlie, I couldn't agree more, their current commander, really has no idea, 20+ years as a cop and 3 years in aviation, he hasn't once asked any pilot there for aviation advice ,(I doubt whether he even knows their names),

Bookface
9th Dec 2007, 08:49
I hear most pilots are unhappy and are looking elsewhere due to the problems already mentioned. It's a typical bureaucratic regime :ugh: some of the boys in blue look after each other a little too much.

Big Beres
9th Dec 2007, 09:06
"It's a typical bureaucratic regime":ugh: correct!!, :mad: could be worse , we could all be flying rubber dog S**T out of Hong Kong,
All the best to Captain Underpants, I wonder how many more will follow!! :\

Sulley
9th Dec 2007, 12:52
Sounds just like the U K and direct employment :ugh:

papa68
10th Dec 2007, 03:28
Good luck Capt Underpants my friend.

Must catch up soon with the Mrs - we have plenty to talk about.

Cheers,

P68:O

doublesix
10th Dec 2007, 18:24
As a now retired cop who spent the last twelve years of my service as an observer in a busy urban force this sounds terrifying. I flew countless times with many very experienced high hour pilots in sh-t weather but knew when to keep quiet when his workload was high. To put myself in such a position with an inexperienced cop driving!! I don't think so. The observers/pilots should think long and hard about this, or I fear it's only a matter of time before an accident happens.

paco
11th Dec 2007, 06:56
It all goes to prove my point that it's not pilots that need CRM courses, its customers and management.

phil