PDA

View Full Version : 1969 BP Sponsored London - Sydney Air Race

smitn05
8th Dec 2007, 21:00
Does anyone have any information, photos, news clips or even better any film footage of the BP Sponsored 1969 London - Sydney Air Race.

As I am part of a group that owns and flies the Piper Arrow that came first in the single engined category of the race it would be great to find any more info out.

I was lucky enough to meet up with one of the pilots of our plane in the race a few years ago and he gave me loads of information .. but trying to find out more.

I would love to find some old film footage of the start or the finish, which apparently was a crazy race to the line!!!

Anyone help?

Regards

Nigel

tail wheel
9th Dec 2007, 18:12
Was that the year a Britten Norman Islander won one of the categories?

If so, the Islander ended up in Papua New Guinea with Aerial Tours (later Douglas Airways), I think registered VH/P2-ATI?

Jhieminga
9th Dec 2007, 18:16
I would suggest going through the British Pathe archives here: http://www.britishpathe.com

A quick search on 'London Sydney air race' has unearthed footage of the start, there may be more there.

smitn05
11th Dec 2007, 19:23
Yes the winner was an Islander, and the british pathe film footage shows the islander taking off immediately after G-AWBC the plane I share with 7 others :)

Still trying to find footage of the finish though.

Regards

N

David Eyre
12th Dec 2007, 04:35
Hi Nigel,
This race was also known as the "England-Australia Commemorative Air Race" flown in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the Smith brothers' flight in Vickers Vimy G-EAOU.
The race started 18 Dec 1969 and finished 4 Jan 1970, and was won by W. J. Bright and F. L. Buxton in a BN Islander G-AXUD.
These photos may help (you can see enlarged versions by clicking on thumbnails), and show a couple of Piper singles in one of the photos:
http://www.pictureaustralia.org/apps/pictureaustralia?term1=%22england+to+australia%22+air+race+1 970&Submit=search&action=PASearch&attribute1=any+field&mode=search
I have posted a request on OzSpotters discussion forum, as someone here in Australia should at least have some photos.
Regards,
David Eyre
Perth, Western Australia.

David Eyre
12th Dec 2007, 04:46
Hi Nigel,

Just spotted this post in PPRuNe in 2003 (by the pilot of your aircraft during the race!):

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1097865&postcount=14

Would suggest attempting to contact him - he is sure to have some photos...

Regards,
David Eyre

David Eyre
12th Dec 2007, 06:56
Hi Nigel,

After my post on OzSpotters forum, I have already had a couple of people reply.

One has a black and white negative, and another directed me to someone who has a photo. I will get them to scan the photos, but need your email address to send them to you. You can email me via PPRuNe (don't put it on the forum).

Regards,
David Eyre

Sultan Ismail
13th Dec 2007, 01:50
I believe that the lady with the bouffant hairstyle is Sheila Scott, and the aircraft a Piper Comanche 400.

smitn05
13th Dec 2007, 07:10
Sultan, you are right, she came 4th in her class and I believe carried on when she got to Sydney to complete a round the world trip. The plane I am connected with, I am assuming, was in the same class as hers and won the class outright.

Apparently our plane was 20 minutes behind the overall winner (an Islander), but was the only plane in the race that had to take a different route to everyone else in the middle east somewhere because they had a current serving RAF officer in the team and could not get overfly permission from someone. This aledgedly added 40 mins to their time.

treadigraph
13th Dec 2007, 07:12
It is Sheila Scott with her Comanche 260 G-ATOY. She did also use a US reg Comanche 400 to set some records in May 1965.

Brian Abraham
13th Dec 2007, 12:16
smitn05 - Had two good friends (Both deceased) Trevor Brougham and Dean Ryan who flew a Bonanza 36 in the race and think they were leading the race, or close to, when they ran out of fuel approaching Griffith (which was a compulsory stop) in New South Wales. The force landing tore out the nose wheel and put them out of the race. One bit of excitement I recall Trevor telling was they flew Singapore - Darwin non stop at 14,000 and no oxygen. Approaching Darwin they got into a spin (night time) when dicing with thunder storms. Recovered at very low altitude and found after refuelling in Darwin that they had had something like three gallons left in the tanks. Trevor could tell a good story but was not inclined to guild the lily. He kept a very good diary, with photos, and have often thought I should get off my backside and see if his widow would allow publication (web site or such). Trevor also set a round the world speed record in a Baron 55 with another friend (also deceased) Bob Dickeson (misreported on many records as Dixon). Don't promise anything but I'll have a rummage around to see if I have any newspaper clippings.

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/babraham227/t0005.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/babraham227/t0004.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/babraham227/t0003.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/babraham227/t0002.jpg
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/babraham227/t0001.jpg

smitn05
13th Dec 2007, 19:50
Brian,

That would be great.

A similar story was told to me by John Murrey (one of G-AWBC's pilots). He told of stronger than predicted headwinds on one of the legs ending in Bali. They thought they werent going to make it and were looking at beaches to land on. They made it to the landing field and when the filled the tanks calculated there was about 2USG left :)

Regards

Nigel

Wod
16th Dec 2007, 09:33
My memory says QF flew an HS125 in the Jet category.

Stationair8
17th Dec 2007, 10:02
An epic bloody adventure.
No GPS, no Sat phones and very poor enroute communications.
Just wish I could have competed

Standby Scum
17th Dec 2007, 10:41
VH/P2-ATI? It might have been P2-WGT which was the only Douglas Islander that had slightly lowered flaps in the 'up' position. This flap arrangement worked well for an Islander 10% overweight which was granted for the race.

tail wheel
17th Dec 2007, 11:03
The Islander photo shows "Papua New Guinea" on the fuselage. I think the aircraft was on a delivery flight to Aerial Tours which later became Douglas Airways.

Standby Scum may be on the money, obviously he worked for that operator. Fortunately I did not work for them but knew Dennis "Biscuit Ears" Douglas very well. :E

Pose the question in this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152566&page=74). Someone will have a wealth of information.

Standby Scum
17th Dec 2007, 11:33
Aerial Tours Post deleted.

David Eyre
17th Dec 2007, 22:29
Three Islanders competed in the race:

G-AXUD - Race no. 72 (manufacturer's serial number 132) flown by W. J. Bright and F. L. Buxton. This aircraft won the race. On 9 Feb 1970, it became VH-ATZ with Aerial Tours Pty Ltd of New Guinea. It was later re-registered as P2-ATZ, and joined Douglas Airways, before being cancelled from the register.
VH-ATV - Race no. 112 (msn 100) of Aerial Tours Pty Ltd, Port Moresby, New Guinea. Previously test flown in UK as G-51-35, before becoming VH-ATV on 15 Sep 1969 with Aerial Tours. Later registered P2-ATV with Douglas Airways, P2-DNV (Douglas Airways), P2-SAB (Sepik Air Charter), P2-ALE (Airlink Ltd), before being cancelled from the register.
G-AXSN - Race no. 68 (msn 81) entered by The Hon Hugh Astor, Southamptonstead, Berks. This was previously test flown as G-51-22 before becoming N870JA then G-AXSN. After the race it went through a series of registrations, becoming VH-ROV, P2-ROV, P2-PAA, P2-ISM (North Coast Aviation), H4-AAI (not taken up), P2-ISS, YJ-RV6, VH-CSU. VH-CSU is still registered with Lip-Air in Cairns-North, Queensland.
Regards,
David Eyre

mustpost
18th Dec 2007, 08:16
Out of interest, the fuselage of Sheila Scott's G-ATOY has ended up in storage at the East Fortune Museum of Flight in Scotland. It was on display some years ago but now locked away...:(

skua
18th Dec 2007, 14:13
BA

slight thread creep here, but Trevor Brougham's 2 sons did the 2001 London - Sydney race in their father's memory. I got to know them quite well. They are still based in Whyalla.

Skua

MReyn24050
18th Dec 2007, 21:31
Not forgetting the Yellow Auster AOP.9 XR241 (G-AXRR) flown by Major Somerton-Raynor AAC. The aircraft made the journey Gatwick-Sydney in 1969-1970 at the BP Air Race England-Australia. Leaving on December 18, 1969 and arriving on January 4, 1970, after 141 hours and 10 minutes of flight.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/sabamel/Aircraft/1077646M.jpg

JRC69
14th Jul 2009, 05:38
The winner of the single engine class was an Arrow race number 46 VH-CRC owned by Christopher Cowper. The aircraft was stolen from Chieftain Aviation at Bankstown in the late 1970s and crashed killing the pilot. The wreckage was discovered several months later.

dogpilot
11th Jul 2014, 08:00
If your still chasing information about this race I have some archive material including the picture/scrap book/news clippings book that my father complied.

Molemot
21st Jul 2014, 17:58
Since I used to have a 150 Super Airtourer, I thought that the tale of a 100hp version in this race might be of interest. Flew from Australia and then back again!!

Little Nugget (http://www.airtourer.asn.au/jupgrade/significant-flights/76-little-nugget)

aroa
13th Jan 2016, 13:02
because not the dosh for the entry fee and an ADF fit. But pushed an Auster down the "roo route" anyway with a bag of commem. mail to help pay the bills.
Left before the race started and landed DWN early Jan 1970.

With a big 50 on the tail, got signed in at a few places as Air Race 50.!
Which was kinda handy as fees were waived and my tight budget needed all the help it could get, Landed DWN with abt 3$ worth of Portuguese escudos from Timor in the pocket and borrowed $50 to make it home.

During the trip I got some pics of BP Air Race aircraft and back in Oz picked up copies of the BP booklet and the aerodrome diagrams.

In Bankstown I recovered my pair of spare mags that I had loaned to G-ARGT in Rangoon. Hadnt been returned and the Auster J1/N was abandoned there and later sold.

From KL to Singapore I flew along with ARGT and the RAF chaps on board took some air to air pics of G-AOHF. Never did get a copy. Due late arvo and Cbs up ahead I peeled off and went to Malacca instead.

Was that all nearly 50 years ago...good grief.!

Need another go,, someplace ..Adventure before Dementia and all that.

pulse1
13th Jan 2016, 14:30
I run the Condor group which owns the aircraft (G AXGS) which was entered in the race by Norman Jones of Rollasons. We still have the slipper fuel tank which bolts underneath and the transfer pump still works. I understand that he got as far as Le Touquet

Sam Rutherford
15th Jan 2016, 04:38
Crete2Cape perhaps? :O

Or Crete2Sydney in 2018...

needham_mw
26th Sep 2018, 09:30
Thought I'd dredge this thread up from the depths as I have an interest in the 1969 BP Air Race. Presently, as part of Threshold.aero, I'm organising a G-VFWE type event due to be held in 2019 (Date and location TBC/TBA) at which I'd like to gather as many aircraft which took part in the race for its fiftieth anniversary.

I've done quite a bit of research (I'd post a link but haven't posted enough to be able to) and have thus far ascertained that five aircraft which competed are still airworthy in the UK:

Auster AOP.9 G-AXRR/XR241
Rollason Condor G-AXGS
Beagle Pup 150 G-AXMX
Piper PA.28 Cherokee Arrow G-AWBC
Piper PA.24 Comanche G-ATNV

I've still got quite a few gaps which could well reveal further airworthy aircraft which could attend, however, I'm struggling to work out which other aircraft competed.

Many thanks,

Martin

Sam Rutherford
27th Sep 2018, 07:03
Great initiative, keep us posted!

DownWest
29th Sep 2018, 04:54
One of the Piper Twin Comanches at Shipdham was in it, G-AXRW, and won its class? The Mooney also based there was entered, but blew it's engine on a trial trip to Holland.
DW

treadigraph
29th Sep 2018, 08:34
Sheila Scott in G-ATOY which, following an accident near Elstree, is now preserved with the Museum of Flight at East Fortune.

Red Arrows pilots Terry Kingsley and Pete Evans plus Arthur Gibson flew a SF-260 - possibly G-AXKA as it was registered to the late James Baring (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9137132/Lord-Revelstoke.html) in July '69 and cancelled as sold to Australia in Feb '70.

pulse1
29th Sep 2018, 08:50
G AXGS, flown by Norman Jones, only made it as far as Le Touquet but would be very happy to join in any anniversary celebrations.

DaveReidUK
29th Sep 2018, 09:33
Red Arrows pilots Terry Kingsley and Pete Evans plus Arthur Gibson flew a SF-260 - possibly G-AXKA as it was registered to the late James Baring (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/9137132/Lord-Revelstoke.html) in July '69 and cancelled as sold to Australia in Feb '70.

G-AXKA certainly took part - Race Number 34:

SIAI-Marchetti SF.260 Minerva (http://1000aircraftphotos.com/Contributions/RyePeter/5142.htm)

treadigraph
29th Sep 2018, 11:28
Never knew the SF-260 was named the Minerva!

DaveReidUK
29th Sep 2018, 12:13
Never knew the SF-260 was named the Minerva!

I suspect somebody was getting confused between the SF260 and the Rallye.

blackburn
29th Sep 2018, 13:11
DH89 Dominie ZK-AKU is apparently still airworthy and I understand is based in Tauranga, North Island NZ. It was race number 20 and there are photos of it in the race livery available on the internet. I last photographed it at Griffith, NSW on the morning that the race planes departed there on the last leg to Sydney. I last flew it in January 1972.

treadigraph
29th Sep 2018, 14:24
Well, they are so alike! Perhaps confusion with the US marketing name, Waco Meteor.

Just dusted off British Civil Aircraft Vol III which confirms that 'XKA was the Red Arrows mount for the race.

This page (http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austmz/VH-SFN.html) suggests that it possibly then went to the Philippines.

Photo at Bankstown also shows

Aztec G-ARXF - probably been scrapped.
Mooney G-ASNR which was owned by Peter Clifford Aviation then Dr Ian Hay who I seem to recall took part in several air races; it later crashed into English Channel in October '71.
Debonair N1250Y which appears to be based in Europe these days assuming same aircraft!
This page (http://www.bobthebeagle.co.uk/air-race-2/) has a list of entrants but no registrations

A J Spiller's Cessna 180 is G-ASIT which is still flying with Bill Tollett.

DaveReidUK
29th Sep 2018, 16:03
Well, they are so alike! Perhaps confusion with the US marketing name, Waco Meteor.

Yes, Waco also marketed the Rallye as the Waco Minerva.

treadigraph
29th Sep 2018, 18:27
It's all beginning to make sense... :ok:

needham_mw
13th Oct 2018, 16:20
Many thanks for the assistance! Presently, I've ascertained that there are at least six aircraft still airworthy in the UK/Europe, potentially seven with N1250Y. G-APPL, the Prentice which took part (not G-AOLK as I previously thought) has also been airworthy as recently as last year. It made it as far as the south of France before retiring.

Auster AOP.9 G-AXRR/XR241
Rollason Condor G-AXGS
Beagle Pup 150 G-AXMX
Piper PA.28 Cherokee Arrow G-AWBC
Piper PA.24 Comanche G-ATNV
Cessna 180 G-ASIT

Pulse01 - I'd love for AXGS to be in attendance - I'm looking to gather aircraft irrespective of how far they progressed, plus I'm curious to see what a Rollason Condor looks like with a slipper tank fitted! If you drop me an email martin(at)threshold.aero, it'd be great to discuss you attending.

If anyone would be interested in seeing my spreadsheet thus far, I've still not been able to find a way of sharing it either as an image or a link, but I'd be happy to email it to people should they let me know at the above address.

Many thanks,

Martin

dogpilot
18th Feb 2019, 11:11
Does anyone have any information, photos, news clips or even better any film footage of the BP Sponsored 1969 London - Sydney Air Race.

As I am part of a group that owns and flies the Piper Arrow that came first in the single engined category of the race it would be great to find any more info out.

I was lucky enough to meet up with one of the pilots of our plane in the race a few years ago and he gave me loads of information .. but trying to find out more.

I would love to find some old film footage of the start or the finish, which apparently was a crazy race to the line!!!

Anyone help?

Regards

Nigel

Hi, I have some documentation, curious to see what you have found, I have an interest, as my father raced for line honors but was beaten by Bill Campbell!!

henryschmoeger
14th Nov 2019, 09:47
Hello Everyone,

My name is Henry Schmoeger, I'm a student studying Film Production at the University of West London. For my final project I have decided to make a documentary about the 1969 Air Race from London to Sydney, a race that my Grandfather, Michael Dunk, participated in and made a film about. As part of the documentary, I'm looking to interview the crew of the aircraft that my Grandfather flew with. Over last few months I have been trying to track down the original crew of my Grandfather's aircraft, a single engined Beech Bonanza (N35), but I've had no luck so far. The crew consisted included the following individuals: Carl Schofield, Jan Behrman, John Kay (who was the Cameraman) and my Grandfather (who Directed and Edited the film, but also took turns flying the aircraft). Here's what I currently know:

I believe the Carl Schofield was a commercial pilot for British Airways, because at the beginning of my Grandfather's film he's seen wearing a pilot's uniform. I don't know when or where he was born, but there can't be too many Carl Schofield's around that are or were qualified pilots. As for Jan Berhman, I have absolutely no idea. He obviously had a Pilot's License, otherwise he wouldn't have been allowed to participate in the race and fly the aircraft. But I can't find much about him online, so the trail has gone cold unfortunately.

Any help or guidance you may be able to offer me would be greatly appreciated, because I'm at a loss at the moment as to what to do.

If you are able to put me in touch with any of the participants, it would mean a great deal to me, as I'm sure all of them would be interested in what I have to offer.

Regards,

Henry Schmoeger

===========================================

Until you have a posting history you don't have access to private messaging and adding urls.

Sygyzy
14th Nov 2019, 16:25
Hi,

This is all VERY old, but...

Carl was indeed a BA pilot, owned a Spitfire out of White Waltham around that time. Would be in his mid 70's now - check with BA Pensions at BA HQ Waterside near LHR.

Jan Berhman flew out of Elstree at that time. IIRC correctly he and Alan Dyer owned a C310 which they flew around the world. Again, late '60's early '70's when men were men... or mad! I have no contacts at Elstree anymore so have no idea where you'd start. Phone book? Both late seventies now I imagine. Alan is married to a BA (female) pilot so BA may be your source there too. They live N London/Herts way. Don't know the lady's single name so you may have some sleuthing to do - or maybe she's simply 'Capt Dyer' - never thought of that.

Could you send me a PM, I may have some email addresses that may prove fruitful.

You may also get more replies from 'Where are they now' in the general column down below Jet Blast

Best, S

henryschmoeger
14th Nov 2019, 16:31
Hello Sygyzy,

You are a life saver! Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly. I didn't expect to hear back from anyone for a while, as the thread had somewhat dropped off at the beginning of January 2019. My email address is [email protected] - it's my university email, so that's why its got a lot of numbers in it.

Please feel free to contact me via email whenever you have a free moment. I'd be happy to give you my phone number as well if that makes things easier for you.

Regards,

Henry Schmoeger

treadigraph
14th Nov 2019, 16:34
Carl still flies for The Fighter Collection at Duxford - or was doing so in the last couple of years - and his son flies the Boultbee Spitfires out of Goodwood, so either organisation may be able to put you in touch.

henryschmoeger
14th Nov 2019, 17:09
Carl still flies for The Fighter Collection at Duxford - or was doing so in the last couple of years - and his son flies the Boultbee Spitfires out of Goodwood, so either organisation may be able to put you in touch.

It's funny you mention that, because I've already been in touch with Boultbee Flying School, who recently put me onto Jim Schofield. At the time I wasn't sure if Jim Schofield's father, Carl Schofield, was the man I was looking for; I was pretty sure it was him, because there can't be that many Carl Schofield's about that have a Pilot's License. Now that you mention it, I know the Carl Schofield I've been pursuing is in fact the Carl Schofield I'm looking for.

When I spoke to Jim a few weeks ago, he said that his father hasn't been all that keen to discuss his exploits in the past, which I think is a real shame because he probably has so many fantastic stories to tell. I've just sent Jim Schofield an email... hopefully he'll be able to persuade his father to get in touch with me.

Sygyzy
14th Nov 2019, 19:24
Bonanza N35: G-ARZN Innes Ireland the racing driver owned it before Jan.

Jan Behrman/Alan Dyer's C310Q: G-BAUE. Also round the world and London - Capetown return

Alan's wife; BA 744 captain, probably retired/nearly retired - Caroline Nay.

A/c are probably scrapped by now but with the registrations you'll find a paper trail. I notice Norman Jones flew the Rollason Condor - which reached Le Touquet. Now there's a design that should've been strangled at birth - unless you need a greenhouse with wings.

S

Sam Rutherford
15th Nov 2019, 08:32
Sounds as if you're getting the connections you need - but another source would be FB and the UK pilot groups...

Good luck, great project!

treadigraph
15th Nov 2019, 08:35
I think Carl was also involved with Aerobatics Intermational in the late 60s/early 70s. He must have quite an interesting story to tell, hope perhaps he will.

I do recall him at Duxford in the Bearcat in a tail chase with Pete Kynsey in the Tigercat - a very tight circle trying to get on each other's tail!

pulse1
15th Nov 2019, 10:57
There was some talk about organising some kind of celebration of the London to Sydney Air Race. As one of the owners of one of the six surviving aircraft we were rather hoping to be invited to fly into Gatwick for the occasion. I haven't heard any more.

blackburn
15th Nov 2019, 11:46
PA24-260 ZK-DAA is still registered in NZ. Flown in the air race by Grant Biel and Peter Pellew (deceased) both from Auckland. .

megan
16th Nov 2019, 03:32
Article that may be of interest, page 13, mate Trevor Broughams Bonanza A36 VH-TYZ still flying in the hands of a maintenance organisation.

http://www.saam.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/PM-Oct-18.pdf

henryschmoeger
17th Nov 2019, 23:10
Thank you everyone for your responses. I never expected so many people to take an interest in my project. You have given me a lot of food for thought - hopefully using the information you have given me, I'll be able to track down my Grandfather's crew.

I know this is a long way off, but once the film is made (it'll be finished by April/May next year), I'd really appreciate it if you could circulate my film around forums, Facebook groups, friends and family - basically anyone who likes Documentaries or any aircraft enthusiasts you may know. I'm making this film not only so that I can finish my degree, but I would like the film to reach the audiences I intended for it to reach.

I will post on the forum as and when I know more or when I have an update.

Sam Rutherford
18th Nov 2019, 07:26
With pleasure!

henryschmoeger
26th Nov 2019, 10:11
There was some talk about organising some kind of celebration of the London to Sydney Air Race. As one of the owners of one of the six surviving aircraft we were rather hoping to be invited to fly into Gatwick for the occasion. I haven't heard any more.

This sounds incredible! Do you have any more information about this? I would love to include this in the documentary.

henryschmoeger
9th Dec 2019, 16:30
Hello Everyone,

I thought I've give you all a quick update about the progress of the documentary.

The last few weeks have been a mixture of disappointment, success and relief. Having finally made contact with Carl Schofield and his son Jim Schofield, I was able to get a concrete answer from the two. After lengthy discussions with Jim Schofield and much deliberation from his father, I received an email from Carl Schofield confirming what I'd been thinking for a while. In very plain English, Carl told me that he was unable to participate in the documentary for a myriad of reasons, which I completely understand. It's a real shame, but there's nothing more I can do. After all, I can't force them to do anything they don't want to do. With Jim and Carl out of the equation, and no leads on Jan Behrman, I decided to use the information Sygyzy gave me about the aircraft they used during the air race. Using that information, I have managed to track down the current owner of the aircraft, a very engaging and friendly man called Steve. His enthusiasm was clear to see from the moment I read his first email, which was relieving to say the least. As of last Tuesday, we've been in continuous dialogue with one another, and hopefully if all goes well I think we may be able to film the Beech N35 Bonanza, as well interview him about his experiences with the aircraft.

*Update* - Steve has agreed to let us film his Beech N35 Bonanza and is more than happy to be interviewed.

henryschmoeger
18th Dec 2019, 11:23
Do anyone have more information about the proposed commemorative fly in to Gatwick Airport? If it is going ahead, I would love to include it in the documentary.

pulse1
18th Dec 2019, 11:46
The only reference I have about the proposed celebrations was from needham mw on this thread, posts 38 & 40. I guess it's a bit late now.

henryschmoeger
14th Jan 2020, 15:29
Thank you pulse1. I tried to find out more about the commemorative fly in to Gatwick Airport, but I wasn't able to find out much more about the event. I don't know if it actually went ahead or not, as I couldn't seem to find much about it online.