PDA

View Full Version : A nation in fear?

WorkingHard
8th Dec 2007, 21:51
We were on a very crowded train for quite a long journey in England just a few days ago. First class was full and and so was standard class, standing room only. We were in a designated quiet coach by the way. Across the aisle from where we were seated was a very dark skinned girl who was on the phone and had her suitcase on the seat beside her, despite many people standing. No one, not even the train staff, asked her to desist with the phone or to remove said suitcase. Is this through fear of accusation of some kind of perceived racial "thing" or do you think her race made no difference?

Sam-MAN
8th Dec 2007, 21:53
I think people are generally scared of society.

I've seen many cases of people just 'looking on' as something happens.

Sam

Lost_ethics
8th Dec 2007, 22:03
I don't think her race had nothing to do with it. You get similar situations on the busses there's always one :mad: who'll have their bag on the seat when it's standing room only. Usually middle aged "suits" who think their cases would like a view out the window. Itís easier to stand than receive menacing glares off them for the rest of the ride.

Howard Hughes
8th Dec 2007, 22:16
It's times like these, when the 'right to bear arms' might not be such a bad thing!;)

At the very least a 'long sword' might have had her moving her bag!

Is would appear to me that anyone who has no idea about when it is appropriate to use a mobile phone, would have any concept of offering up the seat occupied by her bag!:rolleyes:

TBirdFrank
8th Dec 2007, 22:48
No problems for me - would you mind moving your bag - and by the way - this is the quiet coach!

If it kicks off - train manager time!

Peter Fanelli
8th Dec 2007, 23:02
Pick up the bag, throw it as far down the aisle as you can and sit down, problem solved.

WorkingHard
8th Dec 2007, 23:08
TBF - had we not been seated I assure you we would have had at least one of us on that seat. Very politely of course but make no mistake we would have been seated, and not listening to a phone conversation either!

onetrack
8th Dec 2007, 23:41
Always recall a story about a bloke on a NY bus, who became extremely annoyed .. along with all the other bus passengers .. at the pig-ignorant individual, of the Afro-American variety, who insisted on holding up his ghetto-blaster to his ear and playing rap music at 110 dB .....

Naturally, every single other bus rider did nothing, but try to cope with the racket, for fear of the .. "Whaddya YOU looking AT!! .. type of menace that might result, from even a moments stare ....... :rolleyes:

However, one bloke was quite innovative .. he struck up an enthusastic conversation with the Bro' .. along the lines of . ."Hey man, that's one great Ghetto Blaster!! .. where did ya get it, and how much did it cost?? ..

When the Bro' replied that he'd bought it (possibly an incorrect answer - but we won't go into that here) from the local Wal-Mart, or some such, crap retailer for $50 .. the hero replied .. "Man! - I just love it!! .. Do you wanna sell it??? .. I'll give ya $100 for it!!! ...

At that news, the Bro' decided this was too good an opportunity to miss .. and the offending instrument promptly changed hands for the said 100 .. whereupon the hero opened the nearest window ....... and hurled the offending instrument 20 metres, to instant destruction on the street ..... :D

At that, the rest of the passengers were reputed to have stood and cheered .. while the hero returned to his seat, to enjoy the rest of his ride, in the comfort that he sought .... :p

Load Toad
8th Dec 2007, 23:53
Why didn't anyone ask her to move the bag?

I'm sorry I don't get this. I don't even believe it happened. Why couldn't anyone who wanted the seat have said 'Excuse me but....'.

What difference does the colour make - unless it makes a difference to you?

Lamenting Navigator
9th Dec 2007, 00:05
I would've told her to shift it, like I regularly do with selfish so and sos who do that on the London Underground. And if they don't shift it, I do. That does the trick - make a beeline for a bag and the owner swoops on it.

9th Dec 2007, 01:10
I'm sorry I don't get this. I don't even believe it happened. Why couldn't anyone who wanted the seat have said 'Excuse me but....'.

What difference does the colour make

I'm afraid to say, but in the UK, "the colour" makes a awful big difference.

Someone who is not white, gets stopped by the police, It's racist.
Someone who is not white, loses their job, " racist again".

Don't get me wrong. Without a doubt, there are racist people in the UK, as in any country, however, playing the racist card in the UK, almost guarantees legal aid, newspaper coverage, etc, and the person / company accused of racism, will back down due to the costs involved.

Load Toad
9th Dec 2007, 02:48
I don't believe the first post. 'a very dark skinned girl'.

Was she dirty? Was she black? These posts appear on web boards solely designed they are to get people posting crap like 'playing the racist card' and such to further continue the antagonism between people who are different from each other.

It's getting very f' boring.

Sam-MAN
9th Dec 2007, 02:54
Just an example...

There was a fight at our school a few months ago over something trivial (happens all across the world!). School took the appropriate action as they would with any other fight. A week later, one of the lads gets arrested for a 'racist assault' just because the other kid was Portuguese. I mean come on! It was just a fight over something stupid which happens all the time across the UK. But because one of the kids was Portuguese it's classes as a racist assault! The worlds gone mad!!! :mad:

El Grifo
9th Dec 2007, 03:18
I have a pet hate of mobile phones, more especially the w*nkers who holler into them in restaurants and public transport.

Someone once suggested a counter approach which has served me 100% successfully over the last few years. I will share it.

Simple look very intently at the "perp" nodding and shaking ones head at the appropriate moments.

Firstly they look away, secondly they glance furtively to check if you are still listening/watching, finally after very few minutes they bring the call to an end and tell the "callee" that they will call back later.

I have had a 100% success rate. It has now become one of my pre- senility hobbies

PS. I am sitting in Orlando with a bag of cameras and a press pass wondering if NASA are ever going to fly the bird. Fingers crossed for a successful fueling Sunday am.

Cheers
El G.

onetrack
9th Dec 2007, 03:25
It must be an English thing, this terrible politeness. If an Aussie of the Bruce Ruxton variety was involved, it would be a straight-out .. "Shift ya bloody bag, lady!!! .. I paid for a seat .. ya bag didn't ...... and if ya don't shift it, I'll shift it for ya!! ....... " :D

Sam-MAN
9th Dec 2007, 03:33
You'd get stabbed for that in the UK :}

merlinxx
9th Dec 2007, 06:55
You aught to come and live in my part of the UK. Don't spout about what the heck you don't know about, nor experience every day in the UK.

Rant not over, but building!

Desert Diner
9th Dec 2007, 07:15
I recently took one of the local double decker busses from Heathrow to Kingston on Thames in the evening.

Talk about a nation in fear.:eek:

wiggy
9th Dec 2007, 09:21
Desert....jeez you are brave - these days I've got just about enough bottle to use the "night" service from LHR Central Bus Station to the Bath Road...Kingston?..no way.:hmm:

Load Toad
9th Dec 2007, 09:54
mate - I lived in UK for 27 years - Stoke on Trent. I know all about it. Petty minded little Englanders with big chips on their shoulders, afraid of anyone different or anyone getting on with getting on.

DCS99
9th Dec 2007, 10:24
"Isch da frei?"

Literally:
"Is it free here?"

In practise:
"Is this seat free?"

barry lloyd
9th Dec 2007, 11:16
I recently took one of the local double decker busses from Heathrow to Kingston on Thames in the evening.
Talk about a nation in fear.
Heathrow? :eek:Kingston on Thames? :eek::eek: Are you sure? But they're in the south of England, and in the world according to PPRuNe, hell exists only in Liverpool.

Desert Diner
9th Dec 2007, 11:32
Heathrow? Kingston on Thames? Are you sure? But they're in the south of England, and in the world according to PPRuNe, hell exists only in Liverpool.

Perhaps most of it may be in Liverpool, but there is still at least a thin strip of it left for the bus route to follow:sad:

radeng
9th Dec 2007, 12:30
I walk with a stick, and invariably, if I get offered a seat in crowded London underground train, it's by a young person of obvious Asian or Chinese/Japanese origin. And I find they frequently do offer.

Capot
9th Dec 2007, 12:41
Simple look very intently at the "perp" nodding and shaking ones head at the appropriate moments.Brilliant! Thanks, I'll try that.

In exchange, I find that going through the motions of dialling, then carrying on a one-sided conversation works quite well. In very bad taste, it goes something like this;

"Hi, I'm on the train......Everything on schedule?.................really? That's a shame.....where did you say........good, out of sight out of mind......is the aircraft OK?.........did you say write-off.....let's get the report to the underwriters quickly...should be able to get a replacement without any trouble...............I forgot to ask, anyone hurt?...............OK, only forty-three....oh well, can't be helped, it's what they should have travel insurance for......let me know any developments.....don't talk to the Press, we'll work out a statement later.....best if the public don't know why it crashed .......I'm on the train, better ring off".

Then, after a wry "one-of-those-days" shake of the head, it's back to the crossword. For some reason, no-one nearby uses a mobile phone for a long time.

I've yet to see the "crash" rumour reported on pprune, but I guess the day will come.

9th Dec 2007, 12:51
I know it's not time for the Friday joke, but,

The train was quite crowded, so a U. S. Marine walked the

entire length looking for a seat, but the only seat left

was taken by a well dressed, middle-aged French woman's poodle.

The war weary Marine asked, "Ma'am, may I have that seat?"

The French woman just sniffed and said to no one in particular

"Americans are so rude. My little Fifi is using that seat."

The Marine walked the entire train again, but the only seat

left was under that dog. "Please, ma'am. May I sit down? I'm

very tired" She snorted, "Not only are you Americans rude,

you are also arrogant!"

This time the Marine didn't say a word; he just picked up

the little dog, tossed it out the train window, and sat down.

The woman shrieked, "Someone must defend my honor!

This American should be put in his place!"

An English gentleman sitting nearby spoke up, "Sir, you

Americans often seem to have a penchant for doing the wrong

thing. You hold the fork in the wrong hand. You drive your

autos on the wrong side of the road. And now sir, you seem

to have thrown the wrong bitch out the window!

S'land
9th Dec 2007, 13:44
Nice one 419 :D :D :D.

corsair
9th Dec 2007, 15:00
I doubt if it was a race thing. She was a woman after all, not exactly a threat.
I think the problem is mainly that whole English politeness thing. I remember being on a crowded train in London once. The usual commuter crush. Presently it stopped between stations for the usual unannounced mystery reason. What struck me was the dead silence in the carriage. Everyone went on doing what they were doing or politely ignoring each other. Eventually after a long time, someone piped up 'This is disgraceful'. An older black guy with a West Indian accent. There was a murmur of agreement but no more. Eventually he fell silent again, crushed by the stultifying stiff upper lips.
In most countries, everyone would have turned to each other and started talking about it. Not in England. Very odd.

Blacksheep
9th Dec 2007, 15:06
Not in England. Very odd.Very odd? Not in England... :rolleyes:

stickandrudderman
9th Dec 2007, 16:12
Throughout my twenties I lived next to Osterley tube sation in West London.
At least twice a week I would make the journey into Central London to spend my hard-earned trying to impress the lurvely foreign ladies;).
It became something of a quest of mine to change the sombre atmosphere in my carriage to one of jollity.
You'd be amazed how easy it is to break the ice, and sometimes I would even have the whole carriage singing!
Sure, occasionally one person would complain but by that time everyone else on the carriage was enjoying their journey and would usually turn on the complainer and tell him to shut-up!
It struck me that 99% of the people on the carriage were desperate to be having a good time, but were too afraid or embarrased to break the silence. As soon as the ice was broken, the sense of releif in the carriage was palpable. This extended to people of all Nationalities, races and colours.
So, not only are British people reserved, but that reservation is obviously highly contagious! You've only got to scratch the surface though to find that they're actually quite good fun!

Blacksheep
10th Dec 2007, 05:32
Generally it isn't a problem to get everyone talking to each other once they've been properly introduced.

Desert Diner
10th Dec 2007, 06:13
once they've been properly introduced

Does this invlove the exchange of personal cards or via a mutual aquaintance?

Mac the Knife
10th Dec 2007, 08:15
There's the lovely story about the upper class hunting weekend at someone's country estate. Over dinner a young man and woman became friendly and ended up spending the night together.

In the morning they met again over breakfast and he greeted her, but she quickly froze him off saying, "Mr Weatherby, in our class, sleeping together does not constitute an introduction!"

:ok:

Mini fan
10th Dec 2007, 11:11
You want people scared to sit down??

Should have tried getting on the tube when I was on it just after 7/7!

First I used to have whole tube carriages to myself, then people slowly started getting on and sitting at the opposite end. For quite a while there would be a full carriage except the two seats either side of me. Thankfully I obviously no longer exude something that says "don't sit near me" as people have started doing so.

And before anyone says anything.... Yes I do shower every day and no I don't smell funny.

1DC
10th Dec 2007, 11:40
Happened to me yesterday on a bus, no seats available big bloke with two bags on the seat beside him. I asked if i could sit down and he moved is bags, was very pleasant and apologised cos he didn't realise that there weren't any other seats available. Usually that is the case people put the bags down for their own convenience assuming people will (or hoping they won't) ask to sit down. I have never had any aggro about this sort of thing and i don't think colour comes into it, everybody does it if the opportunity arises..Probably a rat race thing.........

goudie
10th Dec 2007, 11:48
In '56 I travelled from Hamburg to Cologne by train.
I was in RAF uniform. In spite of the train being crowded the seat next to me remained empty.

Load Toad
10th Dec 2007, 11:57
F' ell mate - I can get a 'double seat' on the MTR just by being a gweiloh - don't need no uniform.

goudie
10th Dec 2007, 12:25
Load Toad
Well I know what the RAF did to upset the Germans.
What have you done to upset the locals?

Nick Riviera
10th Dec 2007, 14:05
I actually make a point of going to a seat that someone has their bag on and asking them to move it so I can sit down. Sometimes get a stroppy look but I couldn't give a fcuk. There are usually a couple of other spare seats but these have gone 2 stops further on. I cannot understand the mentality of someone who does this on a rush hour commuter train. I have never yet seen anyone stand on my commute when there is a seat with a bag on it available. Perhaps we are just a bit more assertive round my way?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
10th Dec 2007, 15:47
goudie. Perhaps your blue-grey uniform looked rather similar to another blue-grey uniform they had become familiar with. An albatross can all so easily look like an eagle!