PDA

View Full Version : Schooling In Dubai

Getzo
8th Dec 2007, 20:29
Travelling to Dubai in Feb from Australia. Looking for recomendation of good schools to apply to for a soon to be sixteen year old daughter.

Thank you
Getzo

ODMEA
10th Dec 2007, 03:09
ASD = American School of Dubai. Best in the region..or in Sharjah (20 mins away from Dubai in no traffic(which is a fantasy these days in DXB i.e no traffic) Australian International School.

Good Luck

neh13
10th Dec 2007, 05:40
ASD is a great school - but on the pricey side, and difficult to get in to. It really depends what you are looking for. Dubai College is very academic, English College is more of a mix of academics and extra-curricular. DESC (Dubai English Speaking College?), is new, but I have heard good things (and is the continuing school from DESS, which has been here forever). I am sure there are good and bad sides to each of these schools, but at least it is a start. AIS in Sharjah is a new school as well. It wouldn't be in my top picks ... but that is just my opinion . Best of luck.

Flying Spag Monster
10th Dec 2007, 16:32
Some things to consider;

The schools with an English system will be an easier transition coming from Oz than to a US school. Not much easier but a little. Also some (most) schools here are a business first and a school second, so check on their structure. I would recommend a school that is "not for profit", some of these have been mentioned, Dubai College (DC), Dubai English Speaking College (DESC) not sure about English College?? (EC) . I assume you are joining EK??? then where you live will be a factor as you do not want to spend a lot of time on the road. Most colleges have a bus system, check for this. If you end up at Silicon Oasis then DESC is very close and although new, its junior school has been here for 25yrs or more and is very good. If your daughter is academic then I would suggest DC is worth a close look, they do require an entrance test however.

Best of luck (you might need it...)

Ramboflyer 1
11th Dec 2007, 06:00
Are you nuts , leave the 16 year old in Australia shes almost finished school.
Bad time to be shifting schools, and most Aussies with kids that age are commuting or use boarding schools.

Andu
11th Dec 2007, 06:30
Apart from the fact that you'd be consigning your daughter to many hours of horrible (and *** dangerous) commuting every day, I know of two Australian families who have pulled their children from the Australian school in Sharjah and have not one solitary good thing to say about it.

IMHO, you'd be doing your child an enormous favour if you put her into a boarding school in Australia and let look upon the Sandpit as a place she came only for her school holidays.

Switching from the Australian system to another system at that age will cause her all sorts of grief.

fatbus
11th Dec 2007, 07:24
If your daughter has 2 more years left and you are coming here , consider a school with the IB program. Its a good program and well excepted around the world.

CAT3A
11th Dec 2007, 14:29
Deira International with the IB system as mention