PDA

View Full Version : diabetics and shoes?

Fun Police
8th Dec 2007, 16:09
today we had a guy come to our house to do some carpet measurements (the mrs. wants new). i politely asked him to remove his snowy boots in our tiled entry way before going upstairs and he stated that he was diabetic and diabetics are unable to walk around in bare feet. my first thought was "don't you have socks on?" but did not press the point. is there any truth to this? i have vertainly never heard of it before.
cheers
FP

8th Dec 2007, 16:14
I've never heard of this before, but it appears that they were telling the truth.
http://www.nwrenalnetwork.org/news/footcare.pdf

west lakes
8th Dec 2007, 16:18
Faeces of the Bovine species

Fact
Diabetics can suffer from poor circulation affecting hands & feet

Fact
Diabetics can suffer from loss of sensation to the same areas

Fact
Diabetics are advised to take care not to injure feet particularly if the above conditions are known to be happenning

Fact
Diabetics should attend a chiropodist at, NHS expense in UK, for regular check ups to monitor the feet

NOT a fact that they cannot walk round in bare/stocking feet, in fact if that is that individuals concern he should bring soft shoes with him for wear when in customers premises.

Signed a Diabetic

Foss
8th Dec 2007, 16:29
Some diabetics develop peripheral nerve damage, peripheral neuropathy in the feet and legs. Fatty tissue hardens in the sheaths protecting the nerves so poor circulation in the feet and lower legs Means that walking on tiles in socks is absolutely freezing and very painful apparently.
Might have something to do with. Mate's got it. Still you can't wander about in dirty work boots in someone's house. Should have brought or borrowed slippers.
Fos
oops, beaten to it by West Lakes.

BlueDiamond
8th Dec 2007, 16:50
He was telling you the truth, Fun Police. For a diabetic, feet are a high-risk area and the smallest amount of damage such as treading on a dropped pin or rubbing off a tiny bit of skin can turn into a real problem. Lack of sensitivity can mean that such minor damage may well go unnoticed until infection sets in ... and by that time it may be too late.

As others have said though ... he should have brought other footwear with him to change into. Socks alone do not afford enough protection.

Mr_Grubby
8th Dec 2007, 18:47
I was diagnosed diabetic earlier this year.

I now have no feeling or sensation in my feet from my ankles down.
If I walk around the house with no shoes on I don't even notice it unless I look down.
I always wear slippers in the house, because I am not aware if I stub my toe or tread on something.
I got in the car the other day and was about to drive off when I looked down and I was still in my slippers !! I can't feel shoes.

But agree, the carpet man should bring slippers.

Clint.

Fun Police
8th Dec 2007, 19:55
thanks for your replies, all. the link provided in the first reply was quite informative, and i did not mean any disrespect to the gentleman or any diabetics. it was just a bit of a surprise, that's all. indeed, a good friends wife was recently diagnosed with diabetes and i know it can be very difficult.
thanks again
FP

VP959
8th Dec 2007, 20:17
A colleague lost his leg from the knee down as a consequence of a tiny injury to his foot whilst walking on a beach. He was diabetic and suffered from the common problem of no sensation in his feet. It turned out that a small scratch on his toe, which he was unaware of at the time, turned gangrenous. It only came to light when his wife noticed the smell...............

VP

HILF
8th Dec 2007, 20:22
I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes some years ago and I'm sure I was told early on always to wear lace up shoes. I have no idea why - unless its the extra exercise value!! :\

Any one able to enlighten me or slay the myth?

HILF

west lakes
8th Dec 2007, 20:27
VP959

MIL was diagnosed & lost 3 toes on one foot

HILF

As slip ons are "elasticated" there is a greater risk of them being too tight and affecting circulation, which is at risk any way. At least with lace ups you can control the tightness.

There is no doubt that medically in Fun Police's case the person was "right" as a visitor to a customer's house he was IMO being uncaring himself. Bear in mind also the mention of snow, I would have had at least 2 pairs of socks (including thermals) on. I regularly visit customers premises often with muddy boots and would find ways not to inconvenience them.

Bear in mind the pity/ignorance angle! dealing with a leccy fault on a mild spring day, customers wife approached me virtually demanding we supply a temporary generator for power. When asked why I was told it was for the fridge as her husband is diabetic and it was needed to keep the insulin cool.
She was rather suprised to be told, by me, to read the instructions with the insulin as it was quite acceptable to keep it for a short period as long as the temp did not exceed 20C. As she started to argue I showed her my insulin pens and confirmed I had the same condition.
BTW there was a footy match on TV that night.

HILF
8th Dec 2007, 20:39
west lakes

vmt for your answer.

In view of the potential consequences you and VP595 outline I'm glad that I took the advice withiout question when it was proffered. As a result of reading the all above, I shall be paying more attention to me "plates of meat" in future - my thanks to all who have contributed to the thread. :D:D

HILF

TBirdFrank
8th Dec 2007, 22:37
Westy - you are obviously a type one candidate.

I am a type two who was diagnosed three years ago, but from the symptoms described have been that way for years.

I am obviously very lucky that the effects are slow in my case, as my foot tests simply result in bouts of hilarity - ticklish you see - and no loss of that sensation yet!

Yas - I have a friend who is an amputee - and managed to get back on his bike, only to be knocked off it by a passing lorry, landing in the gutter with his prosthetic limb detached, dangling out of his trousers by a good length and facing the wrong way. The paramedics arrived and the first to look threw up.

Big Bob woke up - looked at his leg - said "Bugger - that's torn it" pulled it out and hopped across to his house on a stick from the ambulance for the emergency one.

Thank God for characters like him!

9th Dec 2007, 00:57
TBF,

No disrespect whatsoever to anyone suffering from any illness, but I must admit, your post did get me laughing.

Avtrician
9th Dec 2007, 01:15
I too am a type 2 Diabetic. I usualy walk around the house in socks, as my feet are very sensitive to lumps n bumps. My feet usualy feel cold tho circulation, colour and foot temperature are normal. I feel the cold very well, but something that is hot (like a footpath in the summer sun) is not uncomfortable at all, tho after a while the sensation of heat starts to build up.. I use lace up boot for convenience, the important thing is to wear decent sock, and unsure that the shoe / boot fits properly.

TBirdFrank
9th Dec 2007, 01:28
In an earlier life I used to organise a road run for old trucks and buses, any vehicle that used to earn a living in fact.

This was, and is, the Trans Pennine Run from Manchester to Harrogate. Lexxy used to help handing out start packs and selling programmes.

Big Bob used to do the run up to about a decade ago on a butcher's bike, always arriving on the Stray to the call of "Pies've come"

Last year when he had one leg off below the knee he arrived in the pub a few weeks later on crutches, and, taking up a defiant stance he stood, leaning on one, waving the other about, and told us - "No bloody sympathy, this is my problem and I'll sort it"

Eight weeks later he walked in - unsteady and slow - but walking - good on him!

Fight the bugger - don't give in!

gingernut
9th Dec 2007, 18:33
Usually only two types of people on amputation wards, naughty diabetics and smokers.

Oh yeh, 3rd type- motorcyclists.

ChrisVJ
9th Dec 2007, 19:55
Over here taking shoes off when going to peoples houses is commonplace. We can mostly tell who are British expats, they don't expect us to!

Several of the local trades turn up with disposable overboots, basically just shaped paper bags with elastic tops, one local retailer whose people deliver furniture actually makes an advertising feature of it. Takes no time, costs almost nothing.

In our last place we had mostly stone floors and in this place we're renovating and all the floors will be junked so we don't care but when our new floors are in we'll keep some paper overboots handy for trades etc.