PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong Telephone numbers

Renaissance
8th Dec 2007, 13:56
Hi Guys,

I am a Fragrant Harbour Wannabe.... I received a phone call from the following number

+(852) 161-6000

Tried calling back, but cannot get through. I am guessing it is from some switchboard.

If anyone has an idea where this number is from please help out.

I have applied to Cathay & Dragonair

Thanks

Renaissance....

sizematters
8th Dec 2007, 15:23
your missing a digit............

hong kong numbers are +852 9999 9999

NoseGear
8th Dec 2007, 22:23
That number is like a switchboard number, in that, when I get a call from Hong Kong on my mobile when overseas, it sometimes comes up with that very number, so its not actually associated with an acutal phone number.:uhoh:
Hmmm, I know thats not very clear, so in short, don't bother calling that number!:O:ok:
Nosey

catpac
9th Dec 2007, 11:30
The call that I got recently from CX ended with 11000.

Renaissance
9th Dec 2007, 14:16
size matters,
The number was actually 852 161 60000.....
It was just a stab in the dark. If it amounts to nothing, not to worry.
Thanks for the replies guys
Renaissance

Thai Pom
10th Dec 2007, 07:41
Definately a switchbord number

pax britanica
10th Dec 2007, 10:11
i think you will find this is a dummy number assigned to an internet phone node- ie the caller in HK uses the internet for the call but the phone cimpanies need to identify it somewhere so they can bill the Internet phone service provider and they assign these sort of numbers that are recognised as not an ordinary phone number.

You also get it on some mobile calls for the same reason

- Its just internal phone company stuff but seems to happen more with calls from Hong Kong than most places

You can get the same sort of thing, unusual number. with switchboard numbers but they still fit into the normal number format like number of digits or starting witha specifc range of digits

I hope thats some help- and it probably gives you an insight as to why the telecoms industry has no equivalent of PPRuNe- its nothing like as interesting LoL

PB