PDA

View Full Version : Cops and Lightning

OzPax1
8th Dec 2007, 12:34
Three Queensland police officers have survived a direct lightning strike during a fierce electrical storm in the states southern inland.

Sergeant Craig Shepherd and senior constables Debbie Cousins and Glen Fletcher were in a police four-wheel drive about 5 kilometres south of Mitchell, when lightning hit the car just after midnight.

Sergeant Shepherd says the lightning hit the aerial on the roof and the car lit up like a Christmas tree.

"Two trees nearby got hit by lightning and we were actually just discussing whether lightning hits cars," he said.

"Probably 10 seconds after that conversation we found out because a lightning bolt hit the aerial of the car.

"It was actually like hitting a brick wall. The car shuddered, stopped, everything went orange, sparks flew out everywhere, the lights and sirens came on.

"I actually thought my hair was on fire because of the roof of the car got super hot and I actually remember asking my two officers if my hair was on fire.

"It was just freaky. Everything just went orange, like an orange glow."

The three officers have taken out a lottery ticket.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/08/2113492.htm

:}:E

tony draper
8th Dec 2007, 12:41
One thunk cars were the safest place to be in a lightning storm? the surrounding metal acting like a Faraday Cage?hmmm, suppose it must be right as the chaps are still alive.
:uhoh:

Peter Fanelli
8th Dec 2007, 12:41
"It was actually like hitting a brick wall. The car shuddered, stopped, everything went orange, sparks flew out everywhere, the lights and sirens came on.

And three sets of underwear needed attention.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
8th Dec 2007, 12:44
Everything just went orange, like an orange glowDid Rowan Attkinson write that?

west lakes
8th Dec 2007, 13:10
Live 11,000 volt lines have the same affect on old BMW 3 series as one couple found out a few years ago round here, car cut out & then restarted

Davaar
8th Dec 2007, 16:13
Some say there is no God, but here is proof that there is: Not one but three, an instant Orange Lodge.

OzPax1
8th Dec 2007, 16:59
I like the last sentance best!

The three officers have taken out a lottery ticket.

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Dec 2007, 18:10
Faraday cage, as mentioned by Admiral D. No biggie...

B Sousa
8th Dec 2007, 20:02
You think someone was sending them a message??

arcniz
8th Dec 2007, 21:19
One thunk cars were the safest place to be in a lightning storm? the surrounding metal acting like a Faraday Cage?hmmm, suppose it must be right as the chaps are still alive.
Faraday cage, as mentioned by Admiral D. No biggie...
The lightning passing through the chassis may not fry you in a hot second, but the last few hundred kilovolts of charge left as residue on your vehicle may be a real problem if you are depending on some of the fancy electronic thingies inside to complete the journey.

(Once had a job where hundreds of KV were the norm.. we had a test box with a metal tip five-foot long insulated probe on it, a dial that went up to 500KV, and a toggle switch on the front panel that was the "safety". When things were too quiet, a mischief-minded person could take an ordinary styrofoam cup of coffee, set on a wooden table, and charge it up to a conservative 250KV with a single touch of the "hot" prod. One could get an eye-opening jolt from such a cup several tens of minutes after the fact.)

Have noticed a similar experience several times in metal aircraft - small singles and jets - where a cloud-cloud lighting stroke or unseen discharge suddenly puts such a high potential on the airframe that electrical noise which seems to come from follow-on static micro-discharges can generate so much radio-frequency noise that comms and nav systems will go completely bonkers for a string of very long minutes. One imagines that controls and engine management systems - particularly the sensors - may be vulnerable to disruption from similar effects in certain cases, especially where atmospheric conditions greatly lengthen the discharge duration.

Evening Star
8th Dec 2007, 21:27
:uhoh:

Top Gear (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ve6XGKZxYxA):ok: