PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Crew if Colour Blind??

sam.lk7
7th Dec 2007, 07:45
hi everyone,
:)
I recently have turned 18 and am ready to start applying to airlines ( i am in western australia), i have been proven to have a mild colour vision deficiency, does anyone know if this will affect my chances of gaining cabin crew employment with QF or DJ (virgin blue) or any other airline for that matter? Any help would be great...:confused::confused:

guys i am really scared.:uhoh:

SLK

blueloo
7th Dec 2007, 09:00
Not sure on what the requirements for the airlines are, but, why not visit (if you havent) an aviation opthamologist and get their opinion.

indamiddle
8th Dec 2007, 00:56
no probs re being f/a with colour blindness

sam.lk7
8th Dec 2007, 11:56
Hi indamiddle

thanks for your post before

just wondering, are you definitely sure that airlines do not care about colour vision in cabin crew? is it in the medicals?

i really would appreciate your help as your reply will most likely make-or-break my career...

thanks

SLK

capt.cynical
8th Dec 2007, 21:40
Sam,
With the continuing decline in pay and conditions for CC the only qualification you will need is a PULSE.:{:}

indamiddle
9th Dec 2007, 05:18
capt cynical is not far off the mark.
i am partially colour blind, found out at the f/a interview!.... no problems.
a mate in my training school sees black, white and grey.
the only colours we deal with are o/head indicator lights which are easily memorised plus they are supplemented by chimes...more than one chime... grab an extinguisher.
meal choices have different coloured lids and even if u make a mistake most of the punters can't tell the difference. this i know from my own stuffups

Kickatinalong
9th Dec 2007, 10:12
You can sit up the front and still be colour blind I cannot see why it would make a difference being a tucker chucker. Indamiddle has the right idea we punters cannot tell the diff.
Kickatinalong.:ok:

sam.lk7
20th Jan 2008, 12:14
@ indamiddle

thanks for your advice, just out of curiousity which airline do you work for? (if you dont mind saying of course), what did the medical examiner say when they found out you were colourblind? how strict are they?

sorry, i just have soo many questions regarding the matter

please help in anyway possible

SLK

sam.lk7
20th Jan 2008, 12:16
@Kickatinalong

I have tried to get a class 1 medical and have failed because i am colourblind, so yeh, i guess you cantt sit up front if colourblind...

SLK

sam.lk7
20th Jan 2008, 12:23
and if anyone else can help me with this, that would be great:ok:

SLK

Bedder believeit
20th Jan 2008, 12:28
There's colour blind, and there's colour blind. I have a mild deficiency but that hasn't stopped me from being an ATC in three different countries (Oz, UAE and Hong Kong) over the last 38 years. One is trained from almost day one (as a child) to put a certain name to what one is seeing, it may differ slightly from what a normally sighted person is seeing, but so what. Red is red is red as long as all in the group have been told that "that is red". I have little hope of passing the more complex "Ishihara" colour plates, but have no trouble with lantern tests. Most aviation authorities will go to the lantern test as a back up if you can't pass the colour deficiency plates.

Islander Jock
20th Jan 2008, 12:30
sam.lk7 have tried to get a class 1 medical and have failed because i am colourblind, so yeh, i guess you cantt sit up front if colourblind... Today 22:14I think you will find your medical is stamped "Valid in Australian Airspace only up to CPL" Like mine :hmm: Unless things have changed over the past couple of years, if you pass either a farnsworth lantern or practical tower light gun test, this restriction can be removed.

sam.lk7
20th Jan 2008, 12:32
hey guys just reminding you that this would be for CABIN crew not FLIGHTDECK crew....

thanks heaps rockers!

SLK

RENURPP
20th Jan 2008, 21:35
I guess it could be a problem working out which is the red and which is the white wine, or if some one asked for a "green can" and you give them a Carlton draught.

sam.lk7
21st Jan 2008, 01:02
no seriously guys...
can you or cant you?

Islander Jock
21st Jan 2008, 05:51
it could be a problem working out which is the red and which is the white wine
Nah never had that problem.
Although at the Aust Airports Assn conference last November the CASA lighting guru explained why the green taxiway lights had to be a specific shade of green and it was because colour defective pilots are allowed to fly - shock horror!!!. I think Perth Airport had put in new lights that were the wrong type and had to replace them.:ugh:
I was nearly going to ask "What you mean there are green lights on the taxiways?" :eek:

Monopole
21st Jan 2008, 06:33
sam.lk7,

It has now been 6 1/2 weeks since you first asked your question here on Pprune and I am just curious to see if you have even bothered to ring any of the airlines to ask them directly.

I have tried to get a class 1 medical and have failed because i am colourblind, so yeh, i guess you cantt sit up front if colourblind...
I also take it that your initial ambition was to become flight crew before you discovered that you were colour blind. Why give up so easy? I am not strickly colour blind, but have a colour deficiency and still hold an Aus ATPL. I failed the little dotty book thingy, failed the Lantern test and spent the entire day at a university doing other various test. In the end all I had to demonstrate was that I could tell the difference between red and white on a papi (they were not as common then as they are now), and tell the differance between white, red and green from the tower while they flashed the gun at me and a CFI was standing next to me with a telephone call to the tower.

You need to show dedication from the begining mate otherwise you will not get very far at all in this industry.

Bullethead
21st Jan 2008, 06:53
G'day Sam,

Why don't you ring up the medical department of the airline in which you're interested and ask them? If it's not a problem then that's great for you and if it is a problem then at least you've found out for sure and can then make other plans. Beats asking on this forum and getting no definitive answer.

Regards,
BH. :ok:

sam.lk7
21st Jan 2008, 07:19
thanks guys, but how would i find the phone number for the medical department of say, virgin blue?

Monopole
21st Jan 2008, 07:30
oh how determined you are :ugh::ugh:

Bullethead
21st Jan 2008, 07:31
Sam,

If you haven't got the initiative to figure it out then maybe you should be thinking of doing something a little less taxing for a living.

Regards,
BH.

sam.lk7
21st Jan 2008, 07:39
Which university should i contact in order to have an extensive colour vision test... If the door is still open for me to be a pilot, i would definitely take it!

sam.lk7
21st Jan 2008, 07:44
@Bullethead

Tomorrow i will call some airlines and see if i can get a response,

i will post back here with the results...

SLK

Monopole
21st Jan 2008, 07:51
Qantas head office

(02) 9691 3636 within Australia

Virgin

These are not likely to be the numbers for direct contact, but they sure as sh!t will be able to provide you with want you want....

It took less then 5 minutes including typing it up for you....

Mono

sam.lk7
21st Jan 2008, 07:53
Thankyou Mono

I will call them either tomorrow (tuesday) or definitely by wednesday, and will post back here with the results...

thanks

SLK

sam.lk7
21st Jan 2008, 07:56
In the meantime, if anyone knows of any WA universities that can provide extensive colour vision tests please let me know so i can contact them...

Regards,

SLK