PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Icon Col Pay Lost in Crash (Merged)

Bendo
6th Dec 2007, 22:42
From the ABC:

Plane plunges into lake, 1 missing
Posted December 7, 2007 10:07:00

One person is missing after a light plane crash in the New South Wales Hunter Valley.

The Ambulance Service says the plane crashed into Lake Liddel, 25 kilometres north of Singleton, just after 9:00am (AEDT).

It is not known if there were any other people on board.

185skywagon
6th Dec 2007, 22:45
SMH has this:
SMH One missing in plane crash
Dylan Welch
December 7, 2007 - 10:33AM

Two men escaped unhurt but one man is missing after a plane crashed into a lake near Muswellbrook today.

The yellow plane had been skimming the water at Lake Liddel near the New England Highway about 9.15am when it crashed into the lake, an Ambulance Service spokeswoman said.

"Two people have now got out of the plane uninjured and there's a third person that is missing,'' she said.

Diatryma
6th Dec 2007, 23:48
Word is that it is VH-LIS.
AT802

Not sure how/if more than one occupant?

Di :(

Desert Flower
6th Dec 2007, 23:59
Surely that can't be right - how would you fit three into an AT802?!

DF.

tinpis
6th Dec 2007, 23:59
Pilot is Col Pay?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/icon-crashes-into-lake/2007/12/07/1196812973226.html

Foyl
7th Dec 2007, 00:14
Speculation only at this stage, and (as usual) there have been a whole pile of inconsistencies in media reporting thus far. :(

Horatio Leafblower
7th Dec 2007, 00:24
Reading the SMH report I think that Harley and Neville have effectively let the cat out of the bag and confirmed it:

Col died in the accident this morning. The two people seen swimming at the wreckage were two of Pay's engineers, observing the trials from a boat.

Pay was alone in the aircraft, VH-LIS.

I am only one of the many many pilots who owe their career to Pay. Like all at Scone and many further afield, lost for words.

:sad:

Diatryma
7th Dec 2007, 00:32
Police divers are searching Lake Liddell in the Hunter Valley, for a man missing after a light plane crash.

The missing man is believed to be the pilot, who's aged in his 70s.

Penelope Little, from the Ambulance Service, says the aircraft came during an aerial photography mission.

“Two males have been able to get out of the plane,” she said.

“They got to shore and are currently with ambulance officers and a third male is still unaccounted for.”

Penelope (?) should have checked her facts before saying anything to anyone. How could they have gotten this so wrong?

The press are all in such a hurry to get the scoop - they just print what they are told without checking it out. Disgracefull.

Condolences to Col's family and the multitude of friends.

Di :(

Queenslander
7th Dec 2007, 01:09
A PLANE crashed into a lake in the NSW Hunter region this morning as it was being filmed for promotional purposes.

An Australian Search and Rescue (ASAR) spokeswoman told NEWS.com.au only one person was believed to be on-board the converted fire-bomber when it crashed into Lake Liddell, northwest of Singleton, around 9.30am (AEDT).

Earlier reports said two people were on-board and one had survived.

The ASAR spokeswoman said the male pilot is believed to have been killed and is still inside the aircraft, which is stuck in mud about 10m below the lake's surface.

"NSW Police are sending a dive team from Sydney," the spokewoman said.

"(The plane is) inverted in mud."

The spokeswoman said it was believed people aboard a boat on the lake had been shooting a promotional film when the plane crashed.

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau has been notified of the crash and is expceted to begin an investigation later today

Mick.B
7th Dec 2007, 01:30
From News.com

AN agricultural pilot with more than 50 years' experience is feared dead after a light aircraft crashed into a lake in the NSW Hunter region.

Police said a man in his 70s was missing after the plane went down at Lake Liddell, northwest of Singleton, at 9.40am (AEDT) today. The plane was believed to have crashed while being filmed for promotional reasons.

Scone Aero Club president Neville Partridge said the pilot of the plane was Col Pay, a water bomber pilot and crop-duster from Scone.

He had more than half a century of flying experience, Mr Partridge said.

"Without doubt, he was one of the most experienced pilots," he said.

"He was flying an agricultural-type plane when it happened."

Police divers search the lake today.

There was initial confusion over how many people were on board the plane when it crashed, with ambulance services saying earlier that two passengers had swum ashore.

But a spokeswoman for Pay's Air Service later said Mr Pay was the only person in the plane.

She was unable to say what work Mr Pay was carrying out at the time.

An Air Services Australia (ASA) spokeswoman said the plane, a fire-bomber Air Tractor model AT 8T usually used for water bombing, was licensed to carry two people.

Pay's Air Service carries out fire-spotting and bushfire water-bombing out of Scone and Moree, according to the company website.

Chief executive of the Aerial Agricultural Association of Australia, Phil Hurst, said he understood the aircraft involved in the crash was a two-seater, but he was unsure how many people were aboard.

Lets hope he is OK. One hell of a legend in Australia

Foyl
7th Dec 2007, 01:36
Check Rumours & News - established thread there.
:(

[URL="http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=303516"]

ABX
7th Dec 2007, 01:50
I will hold out hope while there is hope. I simply cannot believe what I am reading.

Prayers are going up.

ABX

Wing Root
7th Dec 2007, 01:57
From ABC...

"It was an aircraft practicing picking up water ... it was a firefighting aircraft," Civil Aviation Safety Authority spokesman Peter Gibson said. "It's touched the surface of the lake, flipped over and sank."

I wasn't aware that an air tractor could fill tanks like that in flight...

gaunty
7th Dec 2007, 01:58
Very very sad news if true. If it is a consolation, he was doing what he loved most in the world.

I first met Col doing what most pilots do at the end of a long day, two blokes in an empty hotel bar having a quiet one before dinner. I had heard all of the legends but was unprepared for this very self effacing and humble guy, no big watch and big ego, just crisp casual shirt, moleys and boots. In fact we had been idle chit chatting for some time before I made the connection. It was one of the most memorable nights of my life. He gave a lot of people in aviation a huge amount of pleasure.

Mick.B
7th Dec 2007, 02:00
The ABC have confirmed his death.

RIP

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/07/2112301.htm

ABX
7th Dec 2007, 02:09
From the ABC (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/07/2112301.htm): Story and file pics.

Police divers are trying to recover the body of a 75-year-old pilot who died when his light plane smashed into a lake in the New South Wales Upper Hunter Valley this morning.
The Air Tractor 802 aircraft was performing a water-skimming exercise over Lake Liddell, near Muswellbrook, when it hit the water and crashed at about 9:15am AEDT.
The aircraft was seen skimming across the water before it went down and disappeared into the lake about 100 metres from the shoreline.
The pilot, who is believed to be well-known in the Hunter Valley aviation community, was unable to escape the plane.
The Civil Aviation Safety Authority said the plane was practicing scooping up water as part of practice drills ahead of the bushfire season.
Penelope Little from the Ambulance Service says paramedics tried to reach the man who was still in the plane, but were unsuccessful due to the depth of the water.
The wreckage came to rest 10 metres down.
It is unclear whether the pilot was working for the New South Wales Fire Brigade or the Rural Fire Service.
"It was an aircraft practicing picking up water ... it was a firefighting aircraft," Civil Aviation Safety Authority spokesman Peter Gibson said. "It's touched the surface of the lake, flipped over and sank."
The Air Transport Safety Bureau is investigating.

My sincere condolences to all affected by the loss of Col Pay, a legend in his own time.

RIP,

ABX

Fliegenmong
7th Dec 2007, 02:25
Never had the pleasure of meeting the man, I diknow of him though.

RIP

Condolences to all

:sad:

Whiskey Oscar Golf
7th Dec 2007, 03:23
Condolences to the family and friends of a legend of Australian aviation. I only met him a couple of times but he was a gent and as Gaunty said a very humble man. A sad day indeed, just doesn't sound true....

RIP

bushy
7th Dec 2007, 03:26
Colin Pay was a great aviator who often achieved what was considered impossible. Looks like he was still doing it.
I believe he was the man who re-engined the Fletcher agplane with the 400 hp Lycoming.
An inovator to his last day, at age 75.
I respect this man, and am saddened by his passing.

kiwiblue
7th Dec 2007, 04:15
I was lucky enough to meet Col just a few months ago at Scone. Although busy, he still took the time for a yarn with a bloke that just wandered into his hangar and showed me around the rest of his aircraft in another. As others have said, a gentleman. The industry is all the poorer for his passing. Sincere condolences to Col's family.

Vale, Col, RIP

40Deg STH
7th Dec 2007, 05:08
A great man lost. My thoughts are with Ross and the family.

Atlas Shrugged
7th Dec 2007, 06:23
I'm completley lost for words. Fly high, mate :{:{:{

Captain Nomad
7th Dec 2007, 06:45
No WAY! I read this thread with disbelief and great sadness... As others have said - he died doing what he loved most.

Thank you Col for sharing your planes and skill with all of Australia. I still have fond memories of venturing into your hangar with awe and looking over the machines hiding there. Later, I enjoyed sharing the experience with select students as we stopped at Scone on a cross-country. Later still I enjoyed listening to you talk with one of my boss's as you discussed your precious warbirds.

Rest In Peace Ozzie Legend!

Flyingblind
7th Dec 2007, 07:29
Never had the chance to meet the man personally, but am aware of his reputation and i have watched his displays over the years with admiration.

If its any consolation i guess he died doing what he (we) loved.

Condolences to those closest.

RIP.

(edited for a misunderstanding)

Capt Wally
7th Dec 2007, 07:49
..........Col is not dead as such, he's just not contactable anymore. His work, his enthusiasm, his love of just chattinng the the man in the street about planes will always live on in our hearts & minds. What we see of his work is thru his eyes. He paved the way for others to just simply look & admire the dreams of one very determined man.
We salute you you Col for we are better off for having you grace the skies in which we now enjoy as our own playground:-)

RIP CP

Capt Wally :-(

linedriva
7th Dec 2007, 07:54
Well said Capt Wally

RIP Col

Bendo
7th Dec 2007, 08:07
...Col was no relation to Judy.

Judy is a great bird and was married to a bloke called Alan Pay, who was also no relation.

Col is survived by his wonderful wife Diane, son Ross and two daughters - Helen and (I think) Maryanne.

Thoughts with the family tonight. :sad:

amos2
7th Dec 2007, 08:24
...and he was 75?...why is this allowed?

And I mean no disrespect to anyone, let alone his family.

But, the question has to be asked! :confused:

teresa green
7th Dec 2007, 08:25
Col, mate I cannot believe it. A great Aviator, a true gentleman, how much enjoyment you gave us all with your wonderful warbirds. We are in shock, as much of the Australian Aviation scene must be tonight. Fly in peace mate, on your last circuit, God Bless, and our thoughts are with your family.

Tmbstory
7th Dec 2007, 08:32
My sincere Condolence to his Family.

He was a legend of the industry in his lifetime and will be remembered.

Tmb

Capt Wally
7th Dec 2007, 08:44
.........am sure Col's age wasn't a contributing factor to this sad event.Can't say that 100% certain obviously but when can you in aviation?
I know another guy who is in his 80's that flies on a regular basis & could fly the pants off most of us in here.
As far as I can understand Col was trying out technics that involved very low flying over a body of water taking onboard water as he flew along for the use of fire suppression. Sounds like he hit the water during one of these attempts & the immediate drag from that caused the A/C to pitch over & abruptly come to rest inverted where it sank quickly. If this info is incorrect then I stand corrected & I only heard about on the news but it does sound plausable & something that Col would be trying to achieve for the benifit of others.

Col yr 'wing's now are truely there forever!:-)

Capt Wally

Capt Wally
7th Dec 2007, 09:00
....slip on over to the other D&G forum where you will find disbelief !

capt Wally :-(

Bendo
7th Dec 2007, 09:35
From speaking to the witnesses:

the RH wheel & ski was significantly lower in the water than the LH as he did his 2nd run.

The Skis has an intake on the bottom and a hose fitted to the top which fed into the hopper.

from the video hi RH ski made a -ve AoA at some point and dug in

Flipped onto nose & spun to the right - stopped hard.

ATSB were due to get here about 7pm tonight. Up to them. :sad: :(

Col's age not a factor. No disrespect Amos2 but I did my LL Aero's renewal with him 6 months ago and I would bet he would have whipped you. :=

Capt Wally
7th Dec 2007, 09:55
Tnxs Bendo for adding to what I heard in more detail.

Clever and an adventious boy was Col, with that comes risks, maybe someone can continue his efforts so Col can live on:-)

capt Wally

kellykelpie
7th Dec 2007, 10:18
RIP Mr Pay - An Aussie Aviation Icon - condolances to family and friends

Capt Fathom
7th Dec 2007, 10:31
...and he was 75?...why is this allowed?

I wasn't aware that 74 was the limit!!

:rolleyes:

tipsy2
7th Dec 2007, 10:57
Some days it is not worth reading a newspaper or for that matter PPRuNe.

Tipsy is a sad cat today.

R.I.P Col

tipsy.:{

illusion
7th Dec 2007, 11:49
I recall a Jeff Watson video featuring Col afew years ago where Jeff said to him, some thing like, "you must feel like the luckiest man in the world to own a Mustang and a Spitfire".

The laconic reply was " ya, the harder I work, the luckier I get...!".

RIP.

Chimbu chuckles
7th Dec 2007, 12:07
Very sad indeed...last saw Col 5 years ago picking the Bo up from Scone...He gave me the guided tour of his toy shed.

To have lasted 50 years at Ag flying says all that needs to be said about a brilliant pair of hands and an enthusiastic and enquiring mind...he was the living embodiment of the term 'Aviator' and represented everything that is good and true in this industry.

Australian aviation is poorer today.

ABX
8th Dec 2007, 05:18
According the the 5pm news on channel Ten, Col's body has been recovered and the wreckage of the aircraft will shortly be recovered as well.

Australian aviation is poorer today.

Well said Chuck.

Ned Parsnip
8th Dec 2007, 06:26
Col Pay's crash was no accident - he was set up long ago.
Col Pay died because he believed as passionately as I do in
the effectiveness of scooping water tankers in fighting
fires especially in quickly reaching and hitting spotfires in the early stages.
Col Pay died because of the decades of continued refusal by
all the downunder armchair experts, apathetic politicians, egotistical fire service bureaucrats and even some firies themselves to acknowledge the viability of fixed wing scooping tankers complementing helo and ground forces. Proven off the shelf technology which strangely works so well elsewhere around the world but which has been repeatedly rejected again and again downunder.
Notably by the likes of the then NSW Fire Commissioner Phil
Koperberg - recently stood down as Environment Minister over
domestic violence claims. He and others rejected out of hand
the well proven Canadair water bombers on offer many years
ago at bargain prices.
Every year the same old tired (and largely false) arguments
against why this equipment which works so well overseas is
not suited to Oz - no water,salt water,terrain,vegetation,
retardant toxicity, yada yada yada..... It has even been
suggested that the water would kill firies on the ground or
that the aircraft they would fan the flames on to them.
Or this from Pprune in 2001 - PK was interviewed by an
aviation magazine a number of years ago and asked about the
effectiveness of fixed wing aircraft for firefighting. His
response was quite negative including the comment that
"fixed wing aircraft carrying water would damage the trees".
And from the South Australia Environment, Resources and
Development Committee Canadair CL-415 Inquiry 1994
"The Committee was concerned however at the generally
negative reaction of these authorities to the various
proposals to acquire, to use, or even to test Canadair
aircraft for firefighting in Australia. It almost appeared
to the Committee that some opponents of the aircraft have
first decided that the Canadair is not suitable and then set
about constructing arguments to justify that decision.
This raises the suspicion that there has been no genuine
attempt to examine the benefits of the aircraft objectively."
Today dozens of these scooping air tankers and their crews
sit idle and silent on snowy airfields across North America
and Europe.
And so Col Pay died giving it the good old Aussie go of
trying to develop and test a local replacement for what all
these so called "experts" claimed was not relevant to
downunder conditions.
Responsibility for the death of Col Pay lays squarely at
the feet not only of the bureaucrats and politicians but
also the armchair experts who so willingly aided, abetted
and encouraged them.
Footnote -
I recall talking to the crew onboard the Canadair at Avalon some time in the 90s. IIRC the deal offered that year was no upfront $ commitment, that the company bore the cost of positioning the aircraft and crews into Australia. All the authorities needed to pay for was hours/fuel/crew when actually actively deployed fighting fires.
The Canadian guys simply were not able to comprehend the
crass stupidity of local authorities in refusing a deal like
that. Nor could I.
But they did say they wouldn't waste their time coming back
to Australia again. And sure enough - they didn't.
Vale Col Pay - a fair dinkum Aussie pilot and one who was
prepared to give it a bloody good go despite the naysayers.
Stuff it mate - you should have just let the country burn.:sad:

Capt Wally
8th Dec 2007, 10:10
.......ned yr obviously very upset as we all are. But please remember even if yr written words are correct to some degree ( & i'm sure they probably are) the man Col Pay was his own man, 'he' decided what 'he' wanted to do, his way, the Col Pay way, that's the way he was. If he was alive today having survived such an event i believe he wouldn't say as much against the obstructioneers (if there's such a word !) as you mentioned i'm sure, but he was a 'doer' not a spitful man. Like I said yr probably right in most of what you say, yr obviously far more in tune as to the details of his efforts to improve safety in the face of objection than most of us.
I met him a few times over the years whilst chartering thru Scone etc. (loved his work as we all did) & he came across as a guy who got the job done even if in the face of adversary/stupidity.

Ned I'm sad for you, & all the others out there that feel cheated to some degree but Col wil never be forgotten for his outstanding efforts in everything aviation.

Ty for yr post Ned
Capt Wally

Capt Fathom
8th Dec 2007, 11:15
The damn shame is Wally, he's right! :{

maxgrad
8th Dec 2007, 12:05
he gave me the inspiration to just bloody well get on with it! I was young then but will never forget that meeting.

Launchpad McQuack
8th Dec 2007, 17:14
Whoa

First time I've logged on for a few days and hadn't been paying attention to the news, can't quite believe what I've just read.............................

....a sad loss to be sure, one of the pioneers of classic aviation in Australia who's name is known by us all who wanted to take to the skies.

My sincerest condolences and sympathies to his wife, family and colleagues at Scone.

LP

Scurvy.D.Dog
9th Dec 2007, 00:00
….. he was a generous, no BS bloke and a great pilot!
…. last saw him in NRM when he flew the Wright Flyer :ok:
RIP Mr Pay

Slasher
9th Dec 2007, 02:22
One of the very few Aussie pilots I firmly and unreservedly respected.

RIP

mention1
9th Dec 2007, 06:27
Have been away training and can't believe what I've read. Like Launchpad I'm stunned and very saddened.

I met the man a few times and have a great photograph taken at Temora of Col and Max Hazelton chatting together; Priceless. What a gentleman of the skies. My sincere condolences.

Amos, age doesn't matter. Went flying in the sim only today with a 75 y.o. and he was as sharp as they come.

M1:{

Defenestrator
9th Dec 2007, 07:12
I also had the honour of meeting Col some years ago. My sincerest condolences to the Pay family. Aviation, especially the way they did it, has cost them much heartache over the years. Our industry is less with his passing. Words fail me. RIP Col.

D

criticalmass
9th Dec 2007, 08:51
Truly we have lost one of the greats. All aviation is diminished by this sad loss. RIP.

LegallyBlonde
9th Dec 2007, 11:00
Deepest sympathy to the family of Col Pay and staff of Pay's Air Services on the loss of a true gentleman.

Col brought pleasure to so many at airshows across the years, from early days at BK and Schofields in the 70's to recent times.

'National treasure', 'legend' - words which are flung around so freely these days, but words which truly describe this man.

God bless him - surely he is in Heaven now with some other old mates like Ted Harrison and Keith Rose (the Boss) and Black Jack Walker.

Thank you Col for those memories, and the sound of the Rolls Royce Merlin overhead.

KP

Rocky Rhodes
10th Dec 2007, 01:12
I would like to add my condolences to Col's family. Aussie aviation has truly lost a great contributor. I will still remember his opening of an airshow routine in the Mk.VIII spit with a loop from take off on Archerfields's 040 grass strip. He was a true ledgend. RIP

Avid Aviator
10th Dec 2007, 01:36
As good a bloke as he was pilot. My sympathies to his family.
Any news of funeral or memorial service plans?

emu787
10th Dec 2007, 08:08
Latest news is funeral at 11.00AM Thursday 13th, Scone and afterwards at the Scone RSL.

RIP Col.

helo1
10th Dec 2007, 08:10
Col Pays Funeral Details
Just got these emailed to me at work.
Rural Fire Services advise the following details of Cols Funeral
Please be advised that the funeral for Col Pay will most likely occur this Thursday. The details are as follows:
o Uniting Church, Scone
o 1100hrs (99.999% confirmed)
o The family are more than happy to have RFS personnel attend and feel it would be an honour if they wore uniform.

Seabreeze
10th Dec 2007, 22:49
I had the great privilege to do some low level flying training with Col. Will never forget buzzing around valleys and ridges under his watchful and experienced guidance. Condolences to the family: RIP Col; you will always be an Icon of Australian aviation.

Seabreeze

OpsNormal
11th Dec 2007, 08:08
I am not buying into any of the emotive stuff being written here, save to put forward what has been posted on the RFS internal web about the loss of a great person and role model to many (including myself).

The RFS Mourns the Loss of Col Pay

We are deeply saddened by the loss of a long term contractor and friend Col Pay, who was an icon within the aerial firefighting industry.

Col was a pioneer in aerial firefighting and his knowledge, skills and experience were of the highest standard. He had exceptional knowledge of fires and he was regarded as one of the most experienced fire bombing pilots in the industry.

As a contractor with the RFS since the 1990’s, he has been integral to firefighting operations at some of the largest fires in the State. Col was professional, innovative and his wealth of knowledge enhanced both the aviation industry and firefighting across the country.

The firefighting industry is very close and the loss of such a generous and passionate person will be felt by Australian firefighters and those he battled major fires with in other parts of the world.

Col will be sadly missed by the RFS and our thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues at this difficult time.

Multiple news outlets are reporting that the plane Col was piloting crashed into Lake Liddell, near Singleton, on Friday. Police divers are continuing to search the lake for wreckage.

Posted on the 10 December 2007

Regards,

OpsN.

tail wheel
11th Dec 2007, 08:20
An Aussie aviation icon has passed away. His contribution to aviation enriched all our lives.

This thread is to acknowledge Col's contribution to Australian aviation.

The issues of how and why are correctly the prerogative of the ATSB. Col would not have done what he did if he did not think it was technically possible and feasible.

Arm chair opinions of the hows and whys are not welcome.

RIP old mate. Blue skies with a big Merlin! :ok:

Tail Wheel

Pseudonymn
12th Dec 2007, 06:44
Published in the editorial section of the Newcastle Herald on Monday December 10, 2007.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f264/jenbean76/Col_Pay.jpg

waughrj
12th Dec 2007, 09:24
Col,

My first solo nav, i landed scone..a young boy! with my lunch. You came up to me and asked what i was doing? "i'm on my first solo nav" i said.You took me to your toy shop and i ...........i found a mate....go the 185!!!

You showed what flying is about..........FUN...+ PASSION!

To all the Paye family my heart is with u...he is 'touching that hand of god'...and he will be fine..

Richard Waugh

Wanderin_dave
13th Dec 2007, 00:41
Everyone else had said all that i wanted to. So i'll just say it was an absolute honour sharing the circuit with you at Temora a few weeks ago.

Australian aviation owes you plenty and is poorer for your passing.

hoggsnortrupert
13th Dec 2007, 03:48
Bugger:
RIP Mr Pay.
H/Snort:{:{:{:{:{:{

LegallyBlonde
13th Dec 2007, 03:53
Col Pay was a true gentleman. You don't survive to 75 years as an ag pilot if you are a cowboy. He will be sadly missed.

Sent: Thursday, December 13, 2007 1:56 PM
Subject: VALE COL PAY

Col Pay was born on 26 October 1932 and from an early age he developed an interest in flying and all things mechanical. He learned to fly at Narromine in western NSW using all he could afford from his wages to satisfy the passion that continued throughout his life. After gaining his licence he flew a variety of aircraft and later became an instructor at the Narromine Aero Club. His first aircraft was a De Havilland Tiger Moth and with this he established Pays Aerial Service which later became one of the largest and most successful aerial work companies in Australia.

Col was one of Australia’s pioneers of aerial topdressing, spraying and crop dusting and helped to develop many of the techniques now common practice in the industry. From his base in Scone, NSW the business expanded to include operations outside Australia and further diversified to include aerial fire fighting and aircraft sales.

Col’s passion for aviation led him into the realm of “warbird” operations before that term had even been coined. In partnership he owned an Australian built Mustang fighter that was kept at Narromine and later reluctantly sold to buy a washing machine. Today such a thought would not be contemplated, but in the 1950s and 1960s the warbird movement did not exist and few such aircraft were permitted to fly. Col again renewed his acquaintance with the Mustang when he purchased and restored the pillar box red VH-AUB at his Scone maintenance facility. With this aircraft repainted in its former RAAF markings Col became a regular performer at air shows throughout NSW.

Col expanded his interest in warbird aircraft with the purchase of a Spitfire Mk.VIII from the estate of the late Sid Marshall. This aircraft required a complete rebuild and many overseas commentators believed that the task could not be performed in this country. The aircraft’s first flight was the crowning achievement of the warbird movement in Australia up until that date, and its operation by Col between 1985 and 2000 brought this legend to thousands of enthusiasts and veterans alike. Col maintained his association with the Spitfire following its sale to the Temora Aviation Museum and flew it at Temora whenever the opportunity arose. Other wartime fighters and trainers became part of his collection including Australia’s first airworthy P-40 Kittyhawk which again emerged from his workshops as one of the best examples of its type anywhere in the world. At the time of the P-40’s first flight, Col’s collection boasted an example of each of the most significant fighter aircraft operated by the RAAF during the Second World War. Through Col’s efforts, Scone became a Mecca for aircraft enthusiasts and this was enhanced through the bi-annual “Warbirds over Scone” air shows that brought spectators from every state and overseas.

In addition to the aerial work operations, Col’s business expanded to include the acquisition and sale of a variety of ex-military aircraft. This greatly diversified the range of types flying in Australia and saved most from potential scrapping. With others he retrieved North American T-28s from Laos, Cessna O-1 Birdogs from Thailand and Vietnam and Cessna A-37 Dragonflys from Vietnam. Other types were also obtained from as far afield as Italy. It can truly be said that the nature and range of the Australian warbird movement as we see it today is due in no small part to the efforts of Col Pay.

Col was an astute businessman, hard bargainer and was both well liked and respected throughout the Australian aviation industry. He was a highly skilled and experienced pilot in a wide variety of aircraft types from the Wright Flyer replica to jets. He was a regular performer at Temora’s flying weekends bringing his Mustang or recently restored P-40, thrilling the crowds with his professional displays.

Col is survived by his wife Dianne, son Ross and daughters Jillian and Helen.

He shall be greatly missed by everyone at Temora and across the Australian aviation industry.

We have prepared a special tribute page on our website to remember Col Pay. Click on this link to view it. http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/news/ColPay_000.cfm (http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/news/ColPay_000.cfm)

http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/ (http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/)

Bendo
13th Dec 2007, 06:19
A huge day spent catching up with peers and basking in the limelight of a few legends.

Photos to follow.

Said it before and today it draws a tear - Col I owed you everything. Thank you.

:{

bentleg
19th Feb 2008, 01:04
One of the greats of aviation.

ATSB preliminary report here (http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2007/AAIR/pdf/aair200707563_prelim.pdf).

I find it so sad to read that he never wore a helmet.

doubleu-anker
20th Feb 2008, 07:51
I am afraid there are a one or two ag pilots who would be alive today had they been wearing a helmet when they pranged, over the years.

One guy informed me years ago, on my enquiry as to why he was not wearing a helmet, was he didn't relish the thought of being trapped in a burning a/c by his legs and being conscious. Guess he had a point.

I read the report with interest.

As for the front of the ski on the ill fated a/c. I am no fluid mechanic but my first thought was the turned up bit of the toes of the skis should have been somewhat longer, to help guard against what did eventually happen, with tragic results.

R.I.P. Sir.

Chimbu chuckles
20th Feb 2008, 08:22
Really saddens me to think some one dies, possible, for lack of the one bit of kit I would have thought mandatory for that style of flying, testing something so unusual let alone day to day ag flying, and it apparently was a certification requirement of the aircraft (helmut to be worn). if I read the report correctly.

Still it seems as I have watched, marveled is a better word, Col at airshows most of my life and he never wore a helmut...just his characteristic DCs and white overalls...I always wondered about that.

I have looked at the Fire Boss version of that aircraft a few times and thought "What a SEXY bit of kit". It just looks SO GOOD with the floats. Did they cut down so much on useful load that it was worth the risk associated with these flights, or a good mans life?

Why wouldn't you just buy a pair of floats for each firebomber and store them, made up, in a shed...surely it would be less than a days work to change each aircraft over from wheels to floats when needed for the fire season?

This just doesn't seem in character.

http://www.airtractor.com/at-802f-fire-boss-works-first-us-contract

Capt Wally
20th Feb 2008, 09:10
Col at the time of his demise (may he always be remembered)obviously thought it not a major issue to wear protective head gear. He was his own man, & like the rest of us we are all ultimetly responsible for our own actions.
Nothing is forever, Col's memories, his legacies & never to foget his brilliant way of making ordinary folk not directly connected with aviation feel as tho there was time in Col's life for simply, you & me !

CW

Capt Fathom
20th Feb 2008, 10:15
Whilst some here are harping on about helmets, I not aware that the actual cause of death has been made public. An it's none of our business really.

It's possible that a helmet, or lack thereof, had no bearing on the final tragic result?

As an aside, a particular pilot in PNG took to wearing his helmet whilst flying the Twin Otter, much to the shock/horror of the passengers. Sad to say his helmet failed to save him during a subsequent accident.

Horses for Courses!

Sonny Hammond
21st Feb 2008, 11:33
So what, he didn't wear a helmet.

This is flying-not cycling.

High G impact, lots of water, temporary unconciousness from shock, all that mud, any of these could kill you, no matter if you've got a helmet or a bloody scuba suit on.

Dale Earnhart Snr had a helmet on and still broke his neck- but that was ok, his head was saved.

Fact- Do something dangerous for long enough and eventually the danger will catch you, your fault or not.

The tragedy is that he is gone and the industry has lost a leader.

Sonny Hammond
21st Feb 2008, 11:36
p.s

Just because CASA says so doesn't automatically make it correct.

After all, CASA issued Monarch and Seaview's AOC.

The CASA people making these rules mostly have less experience and common sense than the people doing it.

Whats that skip? I'm rambling???

Chimbu chuckles
21st Feb 2008, 12:01
Pretty poor analogy there Sonny

There was a bit of technology available, and I can't think of what it is called but it stops your head snapping forward...same way you die when hanged, that would have saved Earnhart's life but he point blank refused to wear it...now that piece of technology is mandatory in racing and it took Earnhart's death to make it so...classic tombstone thinking.

To not wear a helmut while conducting the kinds of flights Col was conducting is, to my mind, bizarre.

Not a mark on him - except a wound on the RHS of his head.

A helmut might not make the difference EVERY TIME, but it might have this time.

A great pilot and seriously nice guy...but not infallible.

Torres
21st Feb 2008, 12:19
The ATSB report stated (or under stated), from memory, that Col had 29,800 hours experience.

They obviously did not find all the Log Books!! :E :E

Col would find that amusing! :}

bushy
21st Feb 2008, 12:20
He was responsible for re-engining the Fletcher ag plane with the eight cylinder 400 HP Lycoming. I remember hiring a 400HP Fletcher from him for geophysical survey many years ago. It was to operate in the outback, and so was fitted with a DC3 fuel tank where the hopper usually goes, and pax seats and geophysical electronics behind that.
Up front it had radio and nav gear that no self respecting ag plane ever had.
There was a delay in getting some of the paperwork done, and I had things to do in Adelaide, so Col lent me a Cessna 180 to go to Adelaide. In those days we had to get endorsements on every aeroplane before we could fly it, so Col and I did some circuits. Not many circuits, as a C180 does not need a big long runway, so we did three touch and goes for every circuit. Very practical.
I remember Col as a hard working aviator/engineer/businessman who did lots of difficult things well.
I have enormous respect for this man.

Hempy
21st Feb 2008, 12:43
Chimbu,

Its called a HANS device, and they weren't very popular with any drivers until they were made mandatory. Rumour has it Dale Earnhardt liked to wear his seatbelt loose as well..

Sonny Hammond
22nd Feb 2008, 04:19
OK, I concede that one.

I am no expert on ag type flying, so maybe i'm approaching this from the wrong angle, but my thoughts are these guys are who they are and achieve the things they achieve because they think for themselves, outside the box and for their own reasons.

A quality lacking in todays highly regulated aviation industry, where everything is based on what the lawyers and beancounters think.

I'm not saying we go back to the old days but we do need to respect it for what it was.

werbil
22nd Feb 2008, 15:25
I too have admired the Fire Boss (http://www.firebossllc.com/) and would love to fly one - that sort of work would be extremely challenging and satisfying. Whilst I'm not an ag pilot I have spent the last two years flying floats - and with absolutely no disrepect intended I will comment on the accident.

The deepest part of an aircraft's floats are located behind the center of gravity of a float plane in a landing attitude. One reason for this is for directional stability whilst on the water. If you land a floatplane with the center of hydrodynamic resistance in front of the centerer of gravity and there is any sideways drift relative to the water the aircraft will yaw/slew extremely violently - this can be seen dramatically in the 1982 film "Mother Lode" (the accident was not scripted), and was also demonstrated a few years ago when a float plane collided with a yacht in Chance Bay in Queensland following a low nose landing where the pilot subsequently lost directional control.

Given the configuration shown in the ATSB report with the skis so far forward it would only require one leg to 'grab' and the result is not at all surprising. A slight turn, a light crosswind or even water conditions may have been enough to start the sequence. If this happens on floats you have a chance of staying upright - with small skis you would become a passenger along for an extremely violent ride.

W

PS Water scooping floats for firefighting are not new - they were a factory option on De Havilland Canada Beavers in the 1950's.

PPS Amphib floats are expensive. The Wipline 10000s as fitted to the Fire Boss are smaller version of the 13000's - a set of 13000 amphibs including fittings costs around $426k US. In Australia it would be extremely difficult to get a return on them.

RIP Col

Chimbu chuckles
23rd Feb 2008, 13:02
a set of 13000 amphibs including fittings costs around $426k US

That is the most bizarre thing I have read in a very long time.

xxgoldxx
23rd Feb 2008, 14:04
Mate,

the link to firebossllc.com doesnt seem to be working.. but if you check out wipaire.com who make the stuff you will see the 8000 series for the C208 is in the mid 200K mark and the 13000 series for the twotter runs to mid 400K.. considering the 10000 series is a special cut down version of the twotter setup with the extra plumbing etc etc I strongly suspect 426K would be about right eh..

Chimbu chuckles
23rd Feb 2008, 16:48
Oh I believe it, I just think it is incredible.

Little wonder Col was looking for an alternative...in fact it isn't bizarre it is obscene.

werbil
24th Feb 2008, 06:07
You'd think for those sort of $$$ they'd stay watertight for a few 1000 hours - but they don't. In the 10000's they have automatic, electric bilge pumps fitted in the two compartments in front of the step.

CC - I agree completely.

Ray197
12th Jun 2012, 11:03
I had the priviledge to meet and speak to Col over the cockpit of his spitfire, he told me of the time he broke his prop and what he considered ironic was that the only place he could get a replacement was from Germany. He then demonstrated a down wind take off, he will be sadly missed in airshows, what a Pilot and gentleman he was.