PDA

View Full Version : Do you facebook?

Gnirren
6th Dec 2007, 16:22
Seems to be a lot of whoopla surrounding facebook these days, what with controversial user agreements and privacy concerns. I've tried it through a friend but I don't post anything on it really and I don't think I will. As a means to stay in touch with people in one central place I think it's ok, but woe to the people who post everything from half-naked party pictures to their home address and such.

So, what sayeth jetblasters about it all? Benign forum or conspiracy-cia-front-going-to-haunt-you-forever con? :eek:

Tigs2
6th Dec 2007, 16:25
well there have been many people lost their jobs because of Facebook entries, and many prospective Employers check out the site now as part of their shorlist procedure. Beware!

Foxy Loxy
6th Dec 2007, 16:27
I keep mine "clean" anyway as my boyfriend's mum is on my friends list!:p

Foxy

Edited to add: that is NOT an invitation to those ppruners on my friends list to post rude pics/videos on my page!!:}

Martyn Northall
6th Dec 2007, 16:41
And many prospective Employers check out the site now as part of their shorlist procedure.

Out of interest, how is this possible?

Facebook is locked so that only people you approve can view your profile. MySpace and others differ though, you have to manually choose to make your profile private.

Foxy Loxy
6th Dec 2007, 16:49
Facebook is locked so that only people you approve can view your profile.

Not so. You can opt for that setting or not.

Foxy

Gnirren
6th Dec 2007, 16:53
Actually maybe this thread should be expanded on to say are you concerned about the internet, period? Just imagine what kind of fingerprint you'll have left online in the next 20-30 years. And honestly how hard could it be for someone who really wants to know, who the person is hiding behind all these nicknames floating around?

Maybe a few JBs should start to worry :p

frostbite
6th Dec 2007, 16:54
My fizzog on the 'net?

Surely there's enough misery in the world.

BlueDiamond
6th Dec 2007, 22:57
Benign forum or conspiracy-cia-front-
Yeah, right. Some conspiracy if the CIA has to depend on people to volunteer information about themselves. :rolleyes:

Howard Hughes
6th Dec 2007, 22:58
No, cause that would mean less time on JB!:ok:

candoo
6th Dec 2007, 23:11
I've tried Facebook

:}

Arm out the window
6th Dec 2007, 23:17
I don't, but one of my wife's former schoolmates has started a get-together kind of thing for them.
Now every five minutes a strange email turns up for the better half saying something's new on her 'fun wall', or poking her, or throwing a sheep at her (something like that anyhow)! Amusing terminology and good to initially catch up with people, but ultimately a time-waster I think.

TheDesertFerret
6th Dec 2007, 23:19
Sure do. It's a brill way of keeping tabs on family back in the broad acres.

It's what you want it to be - control the dickheads with privacy controls. you can be selective amongst friends - some get to see the unbridled filth of a photo collection I've posted whilst my neices and nephews cannot.

PS: Be careful talking to neices and nephews online....

This did backfire on me a fortnight ago when I was "chatting" with my 15 year old neice (with a warm glow of goodfeeling courtesy of a Californian Red - bloody Yanks) the upshot of which was I ended up taking three neices to see McFly in Sheffield last weekend. Boy they could screech.

Foxy Loxy
6th Dec 2007, 23:20
Well, to be honest, I'm getting quite sick of the "chain" posts claiming that if I don't forward this on to 10 people then I'll get 13 years bad luck....

BUT, it is a nice easy way to stay or get back in touch with people.

Foxy

Bob Stinger
6th Dec 2007, 23:25
Well, to be honest, I'm getting quite sick of the "chain" posts claiming that if I don't forward this on to 10 people then I'll get 13 years bad luck....

13 yrs bad look, or 7 yrs bad sex theyre the favourite threats? 7yrs sex good or bad would be a start

Foxy Loxy
6th Dec 2007, 23:30
To be honest, I've given up reading most of them to the end anyway... It's a shame, cos the main reason I'm on it is to catch up with old school and work chums. I guess the crap is just like the junk mail I get through the door - bin it!

Foxy

bar fly
7th Dec 2007, 09:08
I'd like to know more about how you choose who can see what. Can anyone instruct me?

Thanks.