PDA

View Full Version : Aerodynamics in Malaga, Spain - Experiences?

stefair
6th Dec 2007, 14:37
Hi,
Has anyone done his/her ME and IR as a full course with them, not just the conversion? And if, how much did you guys end up paying (including everything, except accomodation). I find their published prices hard to believe! It would be great if I could get some genuine responses. Many thanks in advance.

AlphaMale
6th Dec 2007, 14:45
What are the prices if you don't mind me asking?

I'll be looking to either convert an FAA IR to a JAA Multi-IR or depending on price doing the whole lot with them, the reviews they seem to get are pretty good to say the least.

stefair
6th Dec 2007, 14:57
Of course not. €8,500 ish for the full ME/IR course, about half of that for the conversion, accomodation not included.
Now, although residing in the UK I still hold the German citizenship and am somewhat familiar with the going rates over there. A decent flight school with a pretty good reputation near my home town is currently offering the ME/IR course for €15,000 plus landing and examiner fees. Now you tell me how in the world can the Spanish do it for almost half of what the Germans charge? Fuel cannot be that much cheaper in Spain, let alone FI rates? Then what is it?
Guys, help please! Any experiences?

AlphaMale
6th Dec 2007, 15:09
Hmm, I can see why you're suspicious too at that price :bored:

£6,200 for a full ME/IR course there when the UK schools are charging £12k for an IR alone does seem like a cracking deal!

Think I'll keep my eye on this thread.

macflea
6th Dec 2007, 15:52
hi guys ,
i agree with you that 8500 euro for an me/ir seems a good deal and about 12500 euros for m/e rating and me/ir rating considering it is going to cost at least 20000 euros plus caa fees here in uk i am so tempted to go the spanish way to get it done quickly and since people say the spainish is not as good as a uk i/r, i might get an ir assesment done with a uk school with the money i would save when i return to the uk. stefair i think why its so cheap is because the aircraft have little down time with the good weather and are contiously in use whereas in the uk because the weather is fairly crappy a lot of the time ,when they do fly they have to charge a lot to make enough money to cover the aircraft costs when its not flying for half the year. also theres no vat on fuel correct me if i am wrong.
most uk schools charge about 330 pounds for a twin whereas in spain its about 220 pounds.its a tough decision but it is so so so tempting.
macflea

stefair
6th Dec 2007, 16:12
Incredibly attempting! It's so much savings! Airfares down there are not much and a bed in a youth hostel, admittedly you would be sharing the room with others, is €15 per night only, including breakfast.
On the reputation: I do not really share this perception since there is a major British FTO offering training in Spain and a great many of their graduates is today flying for the UK flag carrier. IMO, this underlines that Spanish standards cannot be that low, can they? After all, it is a JAA rating and therefore shall meet certain standards. Please correct me if I am misguided here.
Any other Aerodynamics graduates?

AlphaMale
6th Dec 2007, 17:16
Quite a bit can be read about them here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=248561)

EK4457
6th Dec 2007, 21:25
Just doing a little thinking about the ME/IR at Malaga.

If you assume you spend £60 a day on food and board and that it takes you a couple of months (very realistic from the sounds of things), then thats an extra £3360.

Add that on to the cost of £6200 and it comes to £9560. Now, I'm paying £11300 (incl 170A). A total saving of £1740.

Now deduct air fare and other incidentals, is the saving worth it?

Or am I missing somthing?

EK

mlee
6th Dec 2007, 23:02
Hi, Just arrived back today from completing my full ME IR with Aerodynamics. I paid in total about £6300 for the coarse including the CAA fees.

I was very impressed with them and do not have one complaint!! Aircraft went tech for 4 days but these things happen.

I got accommodation for 13 euro a night with cooking facilities so did nt spend too much on food.

Hoping to go back in Jan to do the MCC.

Regards Mark.

stefair
6th Dec 2007, 23:04
EK4457,
This is what I come up with:
Let's say it will take a candidate about 8 weeks or 60 days. One can get a bed in Malaga in one of the many youth hostels including breakfast for €15 per night. That is €900 for the entire time so let's round it up to €1,000. In the UK, I can easily live on £7-10 per day and eat well. Since breakfast is already included, I shall be able to live on €10 max per day, yielding €600 to be added on top which is say around 1,600, and that's euro not sterling! I have not checked on the going exchange rate but €1,600 is probably somewhere in the neighborhood of £1,000. Aerodynamics is asking €8,500 for the ME/IR. That's without the examiner fee I believe so let's add a further €1,000. Now, all in all you are looking at approximately €11k for the entire package. A roundtrip ticket with EZY down there from Bristol is about €100 so almost negligible. Dividing the €11k by 1.5 gives me a ballpark figure of £8k. Bristol Flight Centre, just as an example, is offering their ME and IR for around £15k, which is rather more... And not to forget, one has to eat in the UK too. And even better, any hour of flying training one needs more in Spain will be charged in euro not sterling!
The only question is, are Aerodynamics' published figures realistic and also what are their training standards?

mlee
7th Dec 2007, 10:08
Stefair, I was out in Malaga for 5 weeks. In that time I completed my MEP and my ME IR. I was not charged a penny over what Aerodynamics quoted me before I went out there.

The price of the ME IR includes the CAA exam fee.

Regards Mark.

EK4457
7th Dec 2007, 13:35
Cool!

15 euros a night is not bad at all.....

EK

smith
7th Dec 2007, 20:24
In Spain no VAT is charged when doing a formal course such as IR etc. VAT is charged on the likes of hour building/leisure flying.

eph6
8th Dec 2007, 11:40
If it was me, I'd choose spain everytime. dunno about aerodynamics but did a course in Madrid and it ticked all the boxes. I've done various courses of training in Nz , usa ,uk, ireland and spain. Spain was one of the most positive aviation experiences I've had. Sorry I've no experience of aerodynamics.

flyasthesky
9th Mar 2011, 20:57
Hi everyone, I realise this is quite an old thread. However does anyone have any recent experiences with Aerodynamics Malaga? I'm interested in doing a full I.R course with them.:)